Steven Gerrard

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Spend a little more time reading rather than wolfing down those coco pops then.

I never said he was THE main reason, he was one of them.

"Scholes also had Keane, Beckham, Giggs, Rio, Vidic, RVN, Ronaldo, Rooney, Yorke, Cole, Stam, Schmeichel, the list goes on and on and on."

And what's the one constant component of these teams......I'll give you a hint, he is short and ginger. Why do you think that is? Why do you think that of all the players coming and going throughout Fergie's united teams Scholes kept his place in the starting 11 when fit for almost its entirety? Any time Fergie could have replaced him if he wanted to - money and stature meant that United could have picked any player in the world to play that role but they didn't.

Because he was that good. That's why.

But you don't want to hear it and that's fine. You can be bias all you want, just don't get upset when everyone else including Arsenal/Chelsea and Man city fans (people with certainly no love for Man United players) all disagree with you.
But im not disagreeing with you about how great Scholes is? He just isnt as good as Gerrard. Simples.

But it's just an opinion, you have yours and I have mine.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
No it isn't, both had too many good players around them to ever be considered the sole reason for their teams success IMO.

Scholes was our best player, he simply controlled games for us which is why his influence was such a constant and integral component in our success. In the Sir Alex Ferguson era he was our most talented and most influential player bar none, other players were flashier, bigger personalities or more controversial but none as consistent or as valuable as Scholes.

What sets them apart is that they had different skill sets and dominated games in different ways, comparing them is pretty pointless.
They are vastly different players for sure.

Gerrard was always the man for the big occasion, it's why ive always ranked him higher than Scholes or Lamps.
Scholes did not have to be the man for the big occasion as he dictated the game.

Gerrard went all stevie me when he had the title in his grasp, and got moved out of midfield in 2005 because milan went all over him (people for get that.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Scholes did not have to be the man for the big occasion as he dictated the game.

Gerrard went all stevie me when he had the title in his grasp, and got moved out of midfield in 2005 because milan went all over him (people for get that.

I could just as easily rephrase that as Scholes had to play the deep lying play maker role because he didn't have the matchwinning instincts in the final third.

Like I said, for every thing Gerrard could do that Scholes couldn't, there was something that Scholes could do that Gerrard couldn't. Hence why they are so difficult to compare and it comes down to personal preference of which style of midfielder you prefer.

And FYI, I'd probably pick a different game to have a go at Gerrard for 'going all Stevie Me' in! He was magnificent in that final and Hamann coming on to partner Alonso in midfield freed Gerrard up to get forward and bust the game wide open and win it for us in the 2nd half. No Stevie Me, no 5th European Cup for Liverpool, no 2 CL finals & 2 semi finals in 5 years, FA Cup, and we're not even in the title races in 2002, 09, 14 etc, etc.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Not that im aware. Was there silverware on the line? Im pretty sure they were just random games and you see plenty of players under hitting back passes. It's a mistake. He isnt bottling it.
As chef suggested, an OG in a cup game would indicate there is silverware on the line.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Scored three World Cup goals. Was named in the EUFA Euro 2012 best XI and was named England's player of the year twice.

Cool story bro. He wasnt exceptional for England, but neither was any of the golden generation.
And how did those three World Cup goals help out in the bigger picture? They mean nothing.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
As chef suggested, an OG in a cup game would indicate there is silverware on the line.
Why do you nit pick bro? You know football as well as any of us on here. If you seriously think that Gerrard, over his career, hasnt been the man for the big occasion and played exceptionally well in massive games for Liverpool then you're simply blind or stupid.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
And how did those three World Cup goals help out in the bigger picture? They mean nothing.
They are goals in a world cup where every game and every goal matters!!

Of course they helped. He scored the second in a 2-0 with over Trinidad and Tobago to kill the game off then he scored the second to make it 2-1 against Sweden, England conceded again though and it finished 2-2. Then he scored the opener against the US in a 1-1 draw.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Why do you nit pick bro? You know football as well as any of us on here. If you seriously think that Gerrard, over his career, hasnt been the man for the big occasion and played exceptionally well in massive games for Liverpool then you're simply blind or stupid.
You asked if there was silverware on the line, I answered your question.

Don't think I ever said he wasn't anywhere.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
You asked if there was silverware on the line, I answered your question.

Don't think I ever said he wasn't anywhere.
So what are you arguing about. You love to argue for the sake of it. So you agree with me he is the man for the big occasion and stands up in massive matches. Glad we can agree.

Let's move on.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
So what are you arguing about. You love to argue for the sake of it. So you agree with me he is the man for the big occasion and stands up in massive matches. Glad we can agree.

Let's move on.
That Scholes is better. Glad we agree :)

And FYI, I'd probably pick a different game to have a go at Gerrard for 'going all Stevie Me
I picked the game vs chelsea last season where he slipped and started taking shots from stupud angles and distances.

He went all stevie me and cost your team the league, Instead of trying to pass it around like what he did in the proceding 10 or so games.

Lol that you count the Suarez contested header as a backpass. Nice way to try to twist reality to suit your argument. Haha
LOL that you don't count that as an example of him bottling it in a big game.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I picked the game vs chelsea last season where he slipped and started taking shots from stupud angles and distances.

He went all stevie me and cost your team the league, Instead of trying to pass it around like what he did in the proceding 10 or so games.

What a load of rubbish. You don't lose the league in one game. The fact that we were even competing with City who were expected to win the league easily was largely due to the excellent form of Gerrard last season. It really is a stupid argument - you could pick any team that loses the league and point out an individual mistake from one of their players in any season.

What a load of rubbish. You don't lose the league in one game. The fact that we were even competing with City who were expected to win the league easily was largely due to the excellent form of Gerrard last season. It really is a stupid argument - you could pick any team that loses the league and point out an individual mistake from one of their players in any season.
All you needed was 1 point to win the league.

He slipped and bottled it when trying to play hero instead of doing the smart thing.

Back