Steven King on Drink Driving Charge

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets just all be irresponsible then and drink drive, as long as we don't kill anyone ,hit anyone, or crash it's fine no problem. :eek:

What a ridicules statement, people that have lost loved one's from a drunk driver would be appalled:mad:
staphy
i'm allowed to have my own opinion on this matter, just because it upsets you doesn't mean you are right about the matter.

but in all seriousness this bloke all he did was drink under the influence (WHICH I KNOW IS A BAD THING!) but he didn't crash, he was going slow( NO ONE WAS AROUND HIM), he didn't kill anyone and he didn't put anyone in danger.

Yes we know that drink driving is a bad thing and that my generation drink and drive more often, but HERE! is a chance to provide more awareness about the issues, when you have a premiership player doing something like this, it give shim the chance and the afl the chance to finally bring up the issues and set up program to help educate more people about the matter.

staphy
i'm allowed to have my own opinion on this matter, just because it upsets you doesn't mean you are right about the matter.

but in all seriousness this bloke all he did was drink under the influence (WHICH I KNOW IS A BAD THING!) but he didn't crash, he was going slow( NO ONE WAS AROUND HIM), he didn't kill anyone and he didn't put anyone in danger.

Yes we know that drink driving is a bad thing and that my generation drink and drive more often, but HERE! is a chance to provide more awareness about the issues, when you have a premiership player doing something like this, it give shim the chance and the afl the chance to finally bring up the issues and set up program to help educate more people about the matter.
He put every other road user danger :confused:
The report said he was pullover for erratic driving, imagine one of your,our any, loved one's changing a flat tyre on the side of the road and he slams into them :thumbsdown:

Take it easy Staphy.

King did the wrong thing. He will pay a $5,000 penalty, which is probably on top of the $750 fine he will have to pay to vicRoads.

Plus, he has to undertake alcohol counselling, and have an interlock fitted to his car once his license suspension period is over.

We already have over the top penalties for drink driving in this state, and in King's case, he is paying more than 6 times the financial penalty.

What more do you want? The death penalty maybe??
I hope know one would ever have to go through the lose a loved one from a drunk driver, if it was to ever happen how quick you and others opinions would change

I'm on your side Staphy.

The actions taken by the club reflects the culture of the club and IMO KING should be sacked. From some responses on this Board its ok to drink and drive or because he is a good ruck coach he deserves another chance.

The circumstances of his drinking are unbelievable and to think the Club trusts him with a position of responsibility IMO doesn't hold the club in high regard.

I'm on your side Staphy.

The actions taken by the club reflects the culture of the club and IMO KING should be sacked. From some responses on this Board its ok to drink and drive or because he is a good ruck coach he deserves another chance.

The circumstances of his drinking are unbelievable and to think the Club trusts him with a position of responsibility IMO doesn't hold the club in high regard.

Calm down. He has paid for his indiscretions. He is doing a really good job with our rucks. We ought hold on to him, but make sure that he is chastised enough not to do it again.

He put every other road user danger :confused:
The report said he was pullover for erratic driving, imagine one of your,our any, loved one's changing a flat tyre on the side of the road and he slams into them :thumbsdown:

You have never done something dangerous to others in your life?

You know that rock you threw when you were a kid or that time you went over the speed limit could have killed someone.

This is his first stuff up, one last chance is fine.

@54dogs, Geelong must have a piss poor culture dont they considering steve johnsons multiple road related indiscretions which were of a greater magnitude than Kings.

What a dick---- bloody lucky he didnt kill someone.Theres no excuse he should have got the flick and his position and standing with many at the club must surely be in tatters.
Our hard earned membership dollars should be better spent.

He should receive his just punishment and be on his final warning. $5000 fine, community service and undergoing alcohol counseling does sound about right.

We all have our own views on the punishment etc, but we should all have faith that the Western Bulldogs officials have dealt with the matter appropriately.

What happens in court is out of the hands of the club apart from character references etc.

Leave it at that

What a dick---- bloody lucky he didnt kill someone.Theres no excuse he should have got the flick and his position and standing with many at the club must surely be in tatters.
Our hard earned membership dollars should be better spent.

Agree. The innocent person killed by a drunk driver doesn't get a second chance, the club has to remove him immediately. Does not look well. :mad:

From some responses on this Board its ok to drink and drive or because he is a good ruck coach he deserves another chance.

I challenge you to show one response here that says it's ok to drink and drive.

Nobody has said that.

All the majority of people have said is that he has been appropriately punished.

The punishment consists of:

The standard fine, counselling, and interlock imposed on over .15 drink driving offences in Victoria by vicRoads.

and

The ADDITIONAL FIVE THOUSAND DOLLAR FINE, that the club have imposed on King which is above and beyond what society and the community see as fit punishment.

People can say all they want about road trauma victims and whatever else, but the fact remains that King didn't kill anyone, he didn't have an accident, that said, he was incredibly stupid to drink and drive, and certainly at 0.17 he couldn't even to have claimed he didn't realise he was over.

Yes, a mistake was made, but the fines and punishment deal with his actions appropriately.

Look everyone, it was poor timing on Steven's part, but it was a mistake, we're all human, and we will move on. It's been happening at other clubs for years.

Also, it was about the middle of last year when Sherman said that racist comment to the Gold Coast player, and was suspended, however, since the week it happened, no one has talked about it, so, time is a great healer!

JTG,

The implication when we say he didn't harm anyone, didn't cause an accident, wasn't a risk to anyone IMO says that it is ok. We should absolutely condemn his actions and be outraged that he holds such a position within our club and say it is absolutely not ok. Some people in society still hold the view it is ok and just bad luck that he was caught, I think it is just good luck that he was caught and didn't kill someone.

My major point is that the Club's actions after the event reflects our culture and again IMO we do not rate very well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor effort from King. Certainly damages his reputation as a leader and his position at the Club. However, I don't see it as grounds for immediate dismissal. He should cop his penalty from the law and cop his right whack as the Club sees fit and then have a chance to move on.

Beyond that there is no excuse for drink driving. Hopefully the penlaty he receives is enough to deter him from ever doing it again. Not good enough.

I challenge you to show one response here that says it's ok to drink and drive.

Nobody has said that.

All the majority of people have said is that he has been appropriately punished.

The punishment consists of:

The standard fine, counselling, and interlock imposed on over .15 drink driving offences in Victoria by vicRoads.

and

The ADDITIONAL FIVE THOUSAND DOLLAR FINE, that the club have imposed on King which is above and beyond what society and the community see as fit punishment.

People can say all they want about road trauma victims and whatever else, but the fact remains that King didn't kill anyone, he didn't have an accident, that said, he was incredibly stupid to drink and drive, and certainly at 0.17 he couldn't even to have claimed he didn't realise he was over.

Yes, a mistake was made, but the fines and punishment deal with his actions appropriately.
Theirs a few and that's without reading between the lines of other posts

Most have done it (ie, drive the morning after a heavy night), and regretted it. King got caught. I'm sure he'll learn his lesson catching a train on the Alamein line and riding his bike to Whitten Oval.

We need him for our players, the experience he has from his playing days will help our players out in the long run.
Yes, he was over the limit, but he didn't kill anyone, hit anyone or crash his car.

This is probably the moment where King pulls his head out of his butt, since he is at a more strict club.

His punishment is more than what 95% of people with liscences would get for the same crime. The money is going to an organisation that will make him more aware than most who have done the same thing is wrong. The guy has made a stupid mistake and has now paid for and for the next year or so will continue to pay for what he has done. Fortunately nobody was hurt and you would think he will learn from his mistake. In no way do I condone his behaviour but any suggestion of suspension or sacking is beyond justice. So I agree his punishment is just and we should leave it at that.

Fitting punishment imo. As a previous poster mentioned, he has been stung more than any other civilian would have been. I just hope he has learnt his lesson.

IMO, I feel that this "could have been worse" in the fact that as least he tried to sleep it off and was tested the next day. Again, not saying it okay or a good example, but could have been much worse if he choose to drive home from the pub (or where ever he was drinking) or more importantly in either case caused damage.

Moving forward, just as anyone else who has been in this situation, I hope he will never do this again, has learnt from the experience and will share with others to stop them ending up in the same situation.

staphy

To try and defend his actions or other wise makes no logical sense :thumbsdown:

I don't think you understand that driving under the influence is a bad thing, since you quoted me but didn't noticed how i say it's a bad thing, and that it is a good thing that he DIDN"T KILL ANYONE OR HURT ANYONE!!!

So, all i am doing is defending him for not hurting or killing anyone.
if you couldn't tell that i don't like drink driving and that he was lucky to not have died.

Do i have to type this all in caps so you would understand what i am saying and yet you quote me for defending him, but didn't talk about how i said that the afl have the best moment to set up anti-drinking programs with king.

Reign it in people, this thread is getting dangerously close to lockable territory. If you stay calm and rationable then it's fine, otherwise the thread may have to be locked.

Is that understood by everyone?

Reign it in people, this thread is getting dangerously close to lockable territory. If you stay calm and rationable then it's fine, otherwise the thread may have to be locked.

Is that understood by everyone?
understood, but i will defend my opinions lol.

understood, but i will defend my opinions lol.
Hey, as long as I don't have to step in and keep anyone apart then you can express your opinions however you please.

It's once things become a bitchfest that people need to reign it in. And this was just barely keeping from becoming one.

Bloody stupid thing to do, so dangerous and irresponsible. I do agree with the clubs punishment and that everyone deserves 1 chance, if he stuffs up again he has to go.

The only other thing I'd do is make sure no player or staff member gives him a lift to work or games. Make him catch the train/catch a cab/ride his bike to work every day for a year, then he might appreciate his license a little more.

Theirs a few and that's without reading between the lines of other posts

To try and defend his actions or other wise makes no logical sense :thumbsdown:
I'm not sure how you think I was justifying drink driving. Did you want me to say it's unfortunate no one got hurt? Just to clarify I do not condone drink driving in any way which I thought I had already clearly stated. What I do think is just is the penalty imposed. FWIW my family are victims of drink driving.

Don't think anyone here is condoning King's actions and yes it sets a poor example and should be properly dealt with, but the reactions of many here are puritanically over the top IMO.

And hypocritical - I really wonder what mistakes you've made in your lives and in the case on point, you've never ever driven DUI? Or more particularly, never driven DUI the next morning?

And long term posters here will remember one or two threads about how our players aren't within sin.

None of the above excuses what King did but FFS IMO he doesn't deserve some of the abuse on this thread.

Don't think anyone here is condoning King's actions and yes it sets a poor example and should be properly dealt with, but the reactions of many here are puritanically over the top IMO.

And hypocritical - I really wonder what mistakes you've made in your lives and in the case on point, you've never ever driven DUI? Or more particularly, never driven DUI the next morning?

And long term posters here will remember one or two threads about how our players aren't within sin.

None of the above excuses what King did but FFS IMO he doesn't deserve some of the abuse on this thread.

Mods - some piece of filth has hacked Dry Rots' account and is posting garbage that is empathetic, moderate and entirely reasonable!!! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back