Steven Summerton - Magpies captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Lesser administrators look at Summerton's outburst and say "* this guy."

Kochie and Casual look at it and say "Hmm, check out that passion. Let's win it over and use it to our advantage."

Off to the 'Magpies Forever' Facebook page I go.

Lesser administrators look at Summerton's outburst and say "**** this guy."

Kochie and Casual look at it and say "Hmm, check out that passion. Let's win it over and use it to our advantage."

A casual chat with Casual Keith turned him from the poster boy for the 'No AFL in the SANFL' movement to the captain of the Poort Powa Est 1997 reserves over one off-season.

You know, I almost started a thread last week because I was wondering how long back our Captains started to wear the number 1, and like telepathically communicating that desire with the club, lo and behold - the answer appears. Over 80 years. THAT'S history and tradition

Obvious choice, a Port junior and he was always exceptionally tallented. I remember one night he was kicking 50m torps off both feet. It is moves like this, getting past players, Motlop and Krakour, back in the fold and having a strong footing on the West Coast that will keep the Magpies feel ingrained in the culture and fabric of the club.

You know, I almost started a thread last week because I was wondering how long back our Captains started to wear the number 1, and like telepathically communicating that desire with the club, lo and behold - the answer appears. Over 80 years. THAT'S history and tradition

Geof Motley as captain from 1959-66 continued to wear #17.

I don't remember Greg Phillips being captain though. I thought he always wore 22.

Greg Phillips wore #22 up until he left Port for Collingwood (1976-82). When he returned from Collingwood he wore #20 (Greg Boyd wore #22) until he was made captain of Port (1987-90). As captain he wore #1 (1991-93).

When he first wore #1 in a pre-season comp game he felt embarrassed by the honour and asked a team mate to try and remove the number. Paul Northeast IIRC duly obliged. A great and humble player, Greg Phillips.

Last edited:
Whatever Steven Summerton's early thoughts about the reunification of Port Adelaide, he certainly believes it is one club now.

Summerton to captain Magpies
564173-8d672228-9ebf-11e3-b163-d60ea6e39be3.jpg

“In my personal opinion it is the first time it has really properly felt like one club,’’ Summerton said.

“There’s no segregation any more and all of the Power and the Magpies boys are getting along well and interacting with one another.”

The future of Port’s local zone is still being finalised but Summerton says the Elite Football Academy established over summer to foster local talent will ensure Port always maintains a link to its area.

“I was sceptical because I love the club so much and it means so much to so many people,’’ he said.

“But the program that has been established here is going to do wonders for the club I really believe that now …

“To captain the club is a dream come true. Growing up as a Magpie my whole life it’s something I’ve always dreamt of.”
Summerton to captain Magpies

Geof Motley as captain from 1959-66 continued to wear #17.

Greg Phillips wore #22 up until he left Port for Collingwood (1976-82). When he returned from Collingwood he wore #20 (Greg Boyd wore #22) until he was made captain of Port (1987-90). As captain he wore #1 (1991-93).

When he first wore #1 in a pre-season comp game he felt embarrassed by the honour and asked a team mate to try and remove the number. Paul Northeast IIRC duly obliged. A great and humble player, Greg Phillips.
So he succeeded Johnston and preceded Ginever then? Thanks for that.
Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Mots bucked the trend.
Long may the tradition continue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he succeeded Johnston and preceded Ginever then? Thanks for that.
Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that Mots bucked the trend.
Long may the tradition continue.

Matt Agius from PAFC was looking at this thread and emailed to let me know he spoke to Geof Motley a few weeks back and Mots confirmed he did wear the #1 guernsey for a few games back in the late '50s. So that makes an unbroken run back to the 1930s with Vic Johnson.

I wasn't at all impressed with Summo's outburst last year. However, I'm stoked with the comments in this article.
Why haven't more of his quotes been used from this article on the official PAFC website.
Can't wait to watch the PAFC, in its entirety this year!:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back