Stevie J?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If it bleeds

Senior List
May 25, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Plenty of discussion rising out of the stevie j rumours.

Many would suspect the adcock:eek:ut, Stevie j :in
Is against the "youth path" which was explained to jed himself.

But is there really a time to knock back a 3 time premiership player of the modern era? With the additional coaching aspirations, mentoring a young developing team.

Personally the pro's of helping our young fwd line with- structure, pressure and X factor ( plus a little midfield time)is something that cannot be easily dismissed.

The big question is he prepared to move his young family?

Happy to hear everyone's thoughts.

Nay - I am all up for adding experience, even if they are 30+, we need it. But this Guy won't enjoy the riggors of getting belted every second week, he will crack the sads, not the sort of temperament we need at this stage IMO.

All for it.
We've struggled offensively since even before Browny retired. Stevie J can add firepower & be creative as a mid sized forward. Adds a point of difference. Will be interested to see if he succeeds without a key forward to work around, but if anyone can do it, he can. Might be optimistic, but may also have a side effect of increased crowds up at the Gabba to see him at work in the forward half. Certainly was a fan favourite in Geelong and could see him becoming the same in Brisbane.

Yay.

Can see why people might be confused with why we ditch Adcock then get him, but honestly, they both bring completely different things to the table, playing and coaching. I don't think it would be in our best interest to keep Adcock on in a coaching position, SJ brings an outside perspective, different experience and ideas. On field he is an excitement machine. People would come to watch him next year, no one goes to see Adcock play.

Good marketing tool for the Lions. For sheer dynamism, personality - I vote YES. Somehow don't think it's up to me though...

One of those decisions that I probably wouldn't have made purely in terms of what he might bring as a player but would be happy to live with. Won't cost us anything at the trade table and he's not going to break the bank salary wise so it is a fairly low risk transaction really.

The selling point is the potential benefits of getting a new assistant coach out of one of the two most successful clubs in the last 10 years. If a short playing contract is what gets him over the line, then I'm OK with that.

How many premierships would we have on our coaching panel if he joined?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yay.

At worst he's a useful depth player who could add a fresh perspective to our forward line coaching. I can understand the concern about mixed messages re: Adcock, but I really don't think their situations are comparable.

wow I am (respectfully) surprised by this sentiment, I like it, I have advocated adding 30+ experience the last couple of years that is almost totally met with 'NO WAY' in every situation. There's a lot of 'yaying' going on here that would generally go againts the way this forum would respond to other things of this nature..

Let's not forget in a playing sense his performance was described as 'Sad to see', 'completely shot', 'hard to watch' through several games this year, Mooney almost pleaded with him to retire and commented that he 'looked' past it this season. one game I watched he barely managed to get the ball on his boot on 4-5 occasions - yes there have been flashes of brilliance.

If.. his temperament was A-grade you could forgive that, but the sentiment from a lot of Cat's fans this year is he is somewhat of an annoyance on the field and they were 'fed up' with his antics, he is hardly a good role model the way he cracks the sads all the time and who makes way for him? How will he manage losing and having shocking delivery all year?

how can people be so opposed to schulz for 2 years when we desperately need his position filled, yet are willing to embrace Stevie J?

I personally, whilst open to it, think this has "an experiment that didn't work" written all over it, with him struggling for form, blowing up with angry outburst at younger players and being in and out of the side all year.

Happy to see how it goes, but gee - the only team I see it making sense in is a team that is threatening for a flag.

wow I am (respectfully) surprised by this sentiment, I like it, I have advocated adding 30+ experience the last couple of years that is almost totally met with 'NO WAY' in every situation. There's a lot of 'yaying' going on here that would generally go againts the way this forum would respond to other things of this nature..

Let's not forget in a playing sense his performance was described as 'Sad to see', 'completely shot', 'hard to watch' through several games this year, Mooney almost pleaded with him to retire and commented that he 'looked' past it this season. one game I watched he barely managed to get the ball on his boot on 4-5 occasions - yes there have been flashes of brilliance.

If.. his temperament was A-grade you could forgive that, but the sentiment from a lot of Cat's fans this year is he is somewhat of an annoyance on the field and they were 'fed up' with his antics, he is hardly a good role model the way he cracks the sads all the time and who makes way for him? How will he manage losing and having shocking delivery all year?

how can people be so opposed to schulz for 2 years when we desperately need his position filled, yet are willing to embrace Stevie J?

I personally, whilst open to it, think this has "an experiment that didn't work" written all over it, with him struggling for form, blowing up with angry outburst at younger players and being in and out of the side all year.

Happy to see how it goes, but gee - the only team I see it making sense in is a team that is threatening for a flag.

Add - my post has NOTHING to do with Adcock.

Yay.

Can see why people might be confused with why we ditch Adcock then get him, but honestly, they both bring completely different things to the table, playing and coaching. I don't think it would be in our best interest to keep Adcock on in a coaching position, SJ brings an outside perspective, different experience and ideas. On field he is an excitement machine. People would come to watch him next year, no one goes to see Adcock play.
I have a friend who bought a lions jumper with adcock's number on the back and then when he got a puppy he named it Jed.
Would be shocked that we would get rid of jed citing age and form to only months later decide it's a good idea to pick up an older and more inconsistent player such as stevie j. Those kind of decisions don't instill a playing group with confidence. #bringbackjed

I have a friend who bought a lions jumper with adcock's number on the back and then when he got a puppy he named it Jed.
Would be shocked that we would get rid of jed citing age and form to only months later decide it's a good idea to pick up an older and more inconsistent player such as stevie j. Those kind of decisions don't instill a playing group with confidence. #bringbackjed

Age was only one factor for Jed, on balance as a player he just did not have enough of an impact.

I didn't see a whole heap of people against Shulz (I guess I wasn't seeking out those opinions to start with) ... but it's moot because he signed on at Port anyway.

For me, the difference is that it would be 1 year and coaching as opposed to a 2 year playing only gig. SJ is also a forward, so he could still teach our forwards running patterns and other things he likes to do that has afforded him such a successful career. Him hanging around to coach is enticing and that pushes it over the line I think.

Age was only one factor for Jed, on balance as a player he just did not have enough of an impact.
Yeah, well it's going to be sad when the club has egg on it's face next year. Reckon Adcock will have a lot more of an impact in a side not so young, injury depleted and just poorly run in general.

Yay, his premiership and finals experience would be invaluable to our young list. If he even contributes slightly to making us more competitive in the short term it could lift the vibe around the place. Absolutely zero risk in taking him on for 2 years!

Back