Rumour Stevie J... Yay or Nay

Stevie J?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yay. But we do need to handle the departure of our veterans a little better. Adcock would be really p!ssed now. Can't beg for loyalty from our young players only to shaft them as they near the end of their careers.

Eh.

What can he teach us that Akermanis can't? Given that he hasn't actually coached anybody yet, it seems a bit presumptuous to appoint him to a coaching position post retirement. At least Aker coaches.

Do we need an older forward for 12 months who then fills the need to be a (forwards?) coach?
Or do we need a (forwards?) coach now?
If we don't need a coach until next year, why worry about it now? Who's leaving? How will it work?
Back to what we need in a jumper next year....

Nah, it's a rubbish idea and smacks of the usual effort the club makes to seem to be getting things done without actually identifying any value beyond media exposure. Yawn.

Eh.

What can he teach us that Akermanis can't? Given that he hasn't actually coached anybody yet, it seems a bit presumptuous to appoint him to a coaching position post retirement. At least Aker coaches.

Do we need an older forward for 12 months who then fills the need to be a (forwards?) coach?
Or do we need a (forwards?) coach now?
If we don't need a coach until next year, why worry about it now? Who's leaving? How will it work?
Back to what we need in a jumper next year....

Nah, it's a rubbish idea and smacks of the usual effort the club makes to seem to be getting things done without actually identifying any value beyond media exposure. Yawn.

Are you seriously going to neglect the fact that Aker is a universally acclaimed ****wit?

We don't want someone as toxic as Aker messing with our culture.

Are you seriously going to neglect the fact that Aker is a universally acclaimed ****wit?

We don't want someone as toxic as Aker messing with our culture.
I know Aker wasnt perfect but he did do a lot for the club. Brought in sponsorship money by the truck load, put bums on seats and did things on the field that others just couldn't do. Toxic is a little disrespectful considering what he did for the club. Played for unders too from what I hear. He also seems to have matured some what.

Not completely sure but maybe worth a shot .On the positive as a player I can see that he brings his experience and confident attitude his bigger personality would be helpful to our younger and apparently quieter group. He's never been a big structure/system guy though and not sure how that would play out and I've never heard about his football knowledge and understanding. Coming from Geelong to a club poorly resourced like Brisbane is also a factor that needs to be considered.

I've abstained from the poll because I see two distinct propositions here.
Not a fan of Stevie as a player. Out & out star, overflowing with talent, but just don't like the way he goes about it. He's in the Boomer Harvey/Hayden Ballantyne mould, a whiney niggling borderline cheat, who at times appears to think he's bigger than the game. That said, it's easier to forgive, I guess, if he's performing for your team. I don't see the huge benefit of him taking up a spot on the ground for just a single season, while someone who will hopefully be with us for years, sits on the sideline.

Now, as an assistant coach, I'd be pretty excited about having him on board. He has so much to offer and reports suggest he could provide plenty for our young group.

If letting him play a last hurrah season to pump his tyres up is part of the deal to get him onto our coaching books, then I can live with that (begrudgingly).

55 extra scoring shots would be nice - and an on-field forwards coach 1st year - an assistant off-field coach for the next 2/3 years?

• 33rd for registered scoring shots in AFL – would have rank #1 at Lions in 2015
His numbers if slotted in to the Lions in 2015 [with players who played 10 or more games]
  • Registered scoring shots #1
  • Marks inside 50 #1
  • Inside 50’s #2 [only Dayne Beam averaged more per game]
  • Goal Assists #3 [only Christensen and Hanley averaged more per game]
  • Stevie J has averaged over 20 games per year in the last 9 seasons – even in the last 3 years has averaged just under 20 games [played 20 in 2015]

Whose spot would he be taking? Ironically… An Adcock or a Redden?

Who might he be holding back from promotion/development? Mayes/Aish/McGrath/Evans/Clayton [Keays???]

Yay for me.

I really didn't think the handling of Jed was all that horrible.
Ex captain, quality bloke just didn't look good from the outside looking in. Whether he deserved a new contract or not is besides the point the way it come over just didn't sit well, picking up Stevie just rubs salt into it. We've had a few uncomfortable exits from our club, i think its one area where we can improve.

I reckon Adcock and Johnston are as far apart as players and personalities as two people get. I just don't see how or why not keeping Adcock precludes us from taking on Johnston. No doubt the club had many more reasons for withdrawing Adcock's contract offer, but have been diplomatic in what they've said publicly.

Some things are best left unsaid...

trth.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No thanks - he would definitely provide some magical moments but I suspect there maybe more brain fades and his best is past him.

He was pensioned off for a reason and we are not a retirement village

Rather develop Aish, Mayes etc

From what we read, I agree - contract on table but it does sound like there might have been a reduction of dollars and other clauses linked to games played?

But it does seem odd that within a two year period [Oct 2013 - Oct 2015] - A player at 27 in 2013 can be promoted to Co-Captain with Brown, then at 28 a sole Captain in 2014 - Rocky then becomes captain [not a Co-Captain] in 2015 and by the end of the year looks to be out of contract at the Lions [Jed will turn 30 in November 2015]

Yay, nay, yay, nay, yay, nay, yay, nay, nay, yay, yay, yay, yes, the coaching aspirations and the fact that many believe he has a great footy brain does it for me! Yay

Ex captain, quality bloke just didn't look good from the outside looking in. Whether he deserved a new contract or not is besides the point the way it come over just didn't sit well, picking up Stevie just rubs salt into it. We've had a few uncomfortable exits from our club, i think its one area where we can improve.

well...lets get something straight. Putting Adcock and SJ in the same sentence in footy terms shouldn't happen. For majority of the past few years Jed was a very average footballer. Coaches want to give the likes of Harwood, Dawson, Cutler, paparone a run together in the backlines next season

The whole SJ is old...Adcock is Old so lets draw comparisons is so simply and that far off the mark its not funny

Are we that desperate for a little forward line magic we need to bring in a old fellow? I am more interested in building a premiership squad. Don't recall Geelong or Hawthorn doing this. If (and this is a big if) he is a guru in the coaching box then so be it.

Leppa might have start looking over his shoulder:D

Didn't Adcock originally refuse because he wanted a 2 year deal and guaranteed spot?

Is that really going to happen at another club?

A lot of people have a soft spot for someone who played 200 games for the club without ever going through the "go home" rigmarole that we know of. It's hard to feel great about handling that effectively pushes him out the door, even though it's probably the best for the club.

Yea is a small town north of Melbourne?

Silly RtS... :p

Nay is what you hear from the horse's mouth?

Back