* Still missing *Malaysian Airlines plane with 239 on board

Remove this Banner Ad

203871-a8f14196-c69a-11e4-9504-1b97135f94e2.jpg

How farken ridiculous is this? Some idiot thinking it would be good to place a face towel sachet in amongst some flotsam on a beach south of Perth. :rolleyes:

203871-a8f14196-c69a-11e4-9504-1b97135f94e2.jpg

How farken ridiculous is this? Some idiot thinking it would be good to place a face towel sachet in amongst some flotsam on a beach south of Perth. :rolleyes:

Apparently this was July last year, it is pretty implausible that only one moist towelette would wash up and nothing else. Either planted there by someone or just dropped.

Apparently this was July last year, it is pretty implausible that only one moist towelette would wash up and nothing else. Either planted there by someone or just dropped.

Also, its not very dirty for being in the sea for a few months.......and July?, why wasn't it handed in before this, and if it was handed in, why haven't they tested it before now?

..nah, can't have too much faith in this I'm afraid......tend to lean the way of being planted.

Also, its not very dirty for being in the sea for a few months.......and July?, why wasn't it handed in before this, and if it was handed in, why haven't they tested it before now?

..nah, can't have too much faith in this I'm afraid......tend to lean the way of being planted.
It's a staged towelette I think. Not as in it was put there by a prankster, but that it was put there to resemble how it would have looked when found.

Been going on so long now. A hell of an area to search. However, what if we're looking in the wrong place?

You'd think with technology these days that the U.S. or Aussie military would have the might to have tracked it!

Been going on so long now. A hell of an area to search. However, what if we're looking in the wrong place?

You'd think with technology these days that the U.S. or Aussie military would have the might to have tracked it!
It's entirely plausible (and I think likely) that one or more country's armed forces were able to track it and they just don't want to risk revealing their capability by giving the details.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then why wouldn't they send a merchant or navy ship to come across it accidentally on purpose?
Risk vs Reward. The risk of another country's defence intelligence figuring out you did that vs the reward of effectively nothing for a military.

And even if they sent the merchant or navy ship they'd still have to search once they got to the point of impact assuming the tracking capability is available.

Then why wouldn't they send a merchant or navy ship to come across it accidentally on purpose?

based on the arc, it was picked up by two satellites. if it were three or more we would have a pin point area rather than the arc.

even then given it is in deep water, it could be a couple of kilometres away from the impact point. So the search area would be pretty large.

A simple echo sounder would not be accurate enough to pick it up but this survey would need to happen first as a side scan sonar can not be "flown" close to the bottom without knowing how deep the bottom is or what obstacles it needs to avoid. This usually takes 3-9 months to collect the data depending on the area and then processed taking another 1-6 months.

Then the side side scan survey needs to be done and is much slower than an echo sounder survey as the speed and length of the cable determines the height of the side scan. To slow and it hits the bottom or the angle means insufficient data is collected or too high and no data is collected. I would suggest this survey will need to be done twice on different angles. Once completed the data needs to be processed.

From memory it only took 65 years to find HMAS Sydney despite being in shallow water and exact speed and heading from the last known sighting. I think we will find this faster but 2-10 years would be about right.

They did an update today. Search should be done by May.

Being hinted in the media that we're headed for a pretty big "now what"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back