Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How we all laughed, and made disparaging comments about her looks or weight, when these allegations were originally aired.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ed-on-during-nauru-visit-20150720-gig6n1.html
A security firm has apologised to Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young for spying on her while she was visiting an immigration detention centre in Nauru in 2013.

Fairfax Media reported in June that private security guards took the extraordinary step of running a secret surveillance operation on the Senator during a four-day visit to Nauru.

Senator Hanson-Young was given the code name the "Raven" when at least one Wilson Security guard, acting without authority, kept her activities under surveillance at a hotel and outside the centre.

At the time Immigration Minister Peter Dutton dismissed claims that she was spied on and called her "an embarrassment to our country".

Wilson security executive manager John Rogers offered an unreserved apology to the Senator during a Senate inquiry hearing on Monday and condemned the "isolated actions of a misguided individual".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...auru-visit-20150720-gig6n1.html#ixzz3gP8uD1QQ

Last edited:

Perhaps because SHY is stark raving mad?

Woman should be microchipped and tracked in general public, let alone within 100km of a detention centre. Would be a failure of security to NOT keep tabs on her.

Last edited:
Just so everyone who supports these policies knows what is going on:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexlee/13-shocking-allegations-from-nauru-inquiry#.dhze5qG7o

Before those accuse me of partisanship, this is the fault of both major parties. We've pushed deaths at sea out of our direct sight. All we had to do was come up with a camp where child abuse and sexual abuse are rampant, people are subject to living in mould-infested tents without adequate clothing and where mental illness is practically a universal problem. And each and every Austrtalian is paying ~$50 a year for the priveledge of mentally destroying desperate people. What a great "solution".

And just to put it in perspective it costs $3,700 per day to keep an asylum seeker in offshore detention. Instead we could book every asylum seeker an individual room at the Melbourne Grand Hyatt (~$300 per night), send them to Vue De Monde for lunch (~$250), book a place at the Fat Duck with matched wines for dinner (~$1600), buy them some designer clothes (say $400), send all the children to elite private schools (~$100 a day for every child), have a couple of hours visiting a psychologist a day (~$300) and still have saved taxpayer money.

This is going to leave a long-term stain on our nation. At least we're starting to find out just how big that stain is going to be.

Fewer people go into detention if they dont arrive here in the first place. Labor left the centres stuffed to the hilt and it takes time to run those numbers down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just so everyone who supports these policies knows what is going on:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexlee/13-shocking-allegations-from-nauru-inquiry#.dhze5qG7o

Before those accuse me of partisanship, this is the fault of both major parties. We've pushed deaths at sea out of our direct sight. All we had to do was come up with a camp where child abuse and sexual abuse are rampant, people are subject to living in mould-infested tents without adequate clothing and where mental illness is practically a universal problem. And each and every Austrtalian is paying ~$50 a year for the priveledge of mentally destroying desperate people. What a great "solution".

And just to put it in perspective it costs $3,700 per day to keep an asylum seeker in offshore detention. Instead we could book every asylum seeker an individual room at the Melbourne Grand Hyatt (~$300 per night), send them to Vue De Monde for lunch (~$250), book a place at the Fat Duck with matched wines for dinner (~$1600), buy them some designer clothes (say $400), send all the children to elite private schools (~$100 a day for every child), have a couple of hours visiting a psychologist a day (~$300) and still have saved taxpayer money.

This is going to leave a long-term stain on our nation. At least we're starting to find out just how big that stain is going to be.

Gave prefs to Rudd in 2007 didja Smarts?

If so, man up and share the responsibility.

Not a good look for the PM's new band of black shirts.

Shriller by the minute Gough. You lost the argument years ago. Most people simply opposed people smuggling and cant stand the idea of giving permanent residency to the sort of people who jump the queue, set boats on fire and repeatedly rape small children.

Two years, and not a single resettled refugee.

Its called deterrence. It would be utterly pointless if they were immediately resettled.

No doubt appropriate levels of s**t was flung at the ABC too for it's temerity to report these allegations. I mean just whose side are they on?

Very obvious to all what line the ABC takes. The refugee lobby couldn't hope for better propaganda up to and including making up bullshit allegations against the navy.

Impossible to justify funding the ABC when they repeatedly lie to the public.

This is going to leave a long-term stain on our nation.

What an absolute load of crap. FFS. See European behaviour of late. So much for us being an international pariah.

Last edited:
Thats a bit rich coming from you who blamed anything short of the black death on the ALP!

I wonder how much they will pay these people smugglers to take them back? Do you support the paying off of criminals?

You too gave prefs to Rudd in 07 didja Madmug?
Then you too should be manning up and sharing responsibility along with Footy Smarts instead of belching hot air on this issue.

Gave prefs to Rudd in 2007 didja Smarts?

If so, man up and share the responsibility.

Yes I did give my preferences to Rudd in 2007. Sadly, as is often the case we had a poor choice, between somebody who spoke a good game but had no courage to follow on his rhetoric and a past-it and stale PM who did very little positive in his lengthy time in office.

For what it's worth I don't see how I own any responsibility for the current offshore processing arrangements. Labor brought them in under Rudd the second time in complete contrast to everything they'd argued for a long time and I didn't preference either major parties (luckily I'm in a seat where I don't have to) in the last federal election.

At least I'm not pretending everything is good in the world as long as people aren't dying on our doorstep. I can recognise that refugees are a global issue that requires a global solution. I'd be deeply uncomfortable with treating people in such a disgracefully degrading way if it actually did solve the real issue at hand. In contrast we're doing such things while reducing aid spending, increasing our awful foreign policies that cause displacement and reducing the number of refugees we accept. So we're increasing the refugee problem around the world that leads to scenes like this:

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/r...aves-in-thailand/story-fnh81fz8-1227409783220

783476-04c152ce-1892-11e5-b043-03fbbcadf4e0.jpg

At the same time we're locking up desperate people in inhumane conditions. But hey at least the refugees aren't dying on our doorstep...

What an absolute load of crap. FFS. See European behaviour of late. So much for us being an international pariah.

We're not the only nation to have oppressed our inidigenous populations. We're not the only nation to have widespread child abuse in various institutions. I could go on. Do you doubt these things have stained our nation's history?

We don't have to be the only ones doing it to have such actions be looked back on as a shameful time in our nation's history. These actions will be looked like that in time. And all so we can sleep comfortable in the knowledge that when desperate people die in horrific circumstances, it will occur somewhere that it's easier to ignore.

The shameful event in our nations history was Labor/Greens losing all control of our borders, inundating us with tens of thousands of country hopping centerlink customers and christ knows what else while condemning hundreds of people to a water grave and our defence personal to PTS at having to fish out the festering bags of mush. The people charged with coming behind that disaster have done a bloody good job under the circumstances.

The shameful event in our nations history was Labor/Greens losing all control of our borders, inundating us with tens of thousands of country hopping centerlink customers and christ knows what else while condemning hundreds of people to a water grave and our defence personal to PTS at having to fish out the festering bags of mush. The people charged with coming behind that disaster have done a bloody good job under the circumstances.

So paying off the smugglers to go back, whether they sink or swim on the attempt, is obviously ok with you.

You are so partisan in everything you say, your posts are rapidly becoming irrelevant.

Meanwhile in other threads I've called for Bishop's head to be chopped off for treating taxpayers as mugs (all pollies found compromised like this for that matter), I've also described Abbott as a huge letdown as PM for wimping out on economic reform. But the government deserves kudos for their work on this front. No question.

Meanwhile in other threads I've called for Bishop's head to be chopped off for treating taxpayers as mugs (all pollies found compromised like this for that matter), I've also described Abbott as a huge letdown as PM for wimping out on economic reform. But the government deserves kudos for their work on this front. No question.

So do you also believe in paying off kidnappers? Ignoring the festering sore of paying criminals to keep doing what they do is just kicking the can down the road.

Abort still treats the Indonesians with contempt. Unless we show some respect & work it out with them the real problem will remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back