Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternatively you can turn your last sentence around ala Guru Jane and others and say that:
"the supporters of this policy have their lives in their hands, and their hands are filthy".

Yours too Maggie if you preferenced Rudd in 2007? If so every single death and every single detainee in every detention centre - you share the responsibility.
Time to woman up.

Yours too Maggie if you preferenced Rudd in 2007? If so every single death and every single detainee in every detention centre - you share the responsibility.
Time to woman up.
I am still waiting for your answer after I supplied the links you wanted.
How is the filth on your hands?

I am still waiting for your answer after I supplied the links you wanted.
How is the filth on your hands?

if only it wasn't real people's lives we were dealing with

australia-refugee-2.jpg

offering false hope for ~50m refugees and probably over 1b economic migrants seeking to be clients of people smugglers is an extremely dangerous game to play.

It should be clear to all that having a sustainable immigration policy, that is pull driven process (rather than a people smuggling push driven) is the only common sense approach.

Tony Shorten is right, turning back asylum seeker boats works. By works I mean palms the problem to other countries and is an affront to common decency.

Time to woman up.
BTW I am sick and tired of the same questions. Asked and answered many, many times.

Yeah, I can see that the ones that survived are living it up in Camp Nauru and PNG, especially the children.
Read the Triggs and Moss reports lately?

Unfortunately those lying on the bottom of the ocean don't get a voice.

As I've mentioned before...the png solution (Nauru is part of it now that no more are being sent to manus island) has proven to be a ticking time bomb and the obvious solution is something similar to the Malaysia agreement to empty the centres as quickly as possible.

Offshore processing works best when it acts as the pressure valve when boat turn backs fail not as the primary strategy.

What asylum seeker advocates don't understand is that it has to be done in a way not to encourage a new wave of boats.

They won't even agree to something as uncontroversal as temporary protection visas which shows they care more about grandstanding than real solutions.

Unfortunately those lying on the bottom of the ocean don't get a voice.
As I've mentioned before...the png solution (Nauru is part of it now that no more are being sent to manus island) has proven to be a ticking time bomb and the obvious solution is something similar to the Malaysia agreement to empty the centres as quickly as possible.
Offshore processing works best when it acts as the pressure valve when boat turn backs fail not as the primary strategy.

What asylum seeker advocates don't understand is that it has to be done in a way not to encourage a new wave of boats.
No what asylum seekers are advocating is treating those currently in detention more humanely.
But I agree that it is a ticking time bomb that many in this thread ignore and continually bring up the deaths at sea. I have not read one post that hasn't acknowledged the tragedy of those that have lost their lives but lets do something for the living, more so the children. The fact that there is still over 100 in detention is a disgrace.

No what asylum seekers are advocating is treating those currently in detention more humanely.

If that was true they wouldn't be advocating for and against the same policies that got us in this mess in the first place.

The same arguments are being brought out eg:the cost of offshore processing that was argued in 2007 when they finally had the power to do things their way.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/pacific-solution-cost-1b/2007/08/24/1187462523594.html

It's incredible when supporters of current policy pretend they're the real humanitarians. These same people don't bat an eyelid or say a word when the foreign aid and development (things that actually help prevent the creation of asylum seekers) budget is cut, and deride Human Rights Watch et al who put in hard yards to find out what's happening in these countries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Channel 7 just claimed:

50,000 people have arrived by boat

1,000 died on the way

wow.....2% fatality rate. who in their right mind thinks that is acceptable?

Which is the big picture that is the focus of government and Opposition policy.

Notice how candles were lit for the SIEVX and candles were lit for Reza Barati.

But the shitstorm during the rudd/Gillard government?

Nothing.

If that was true they wouldn't be advocating for and against the same policies that got us in this mess in the first place.

The same arguments are being brought out eg:the cost of offshore processing that was argued in 2007 when they finally had the power to do things their way.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/pacific-solution-cost-1b/2007/08/24/1187462523594.html
Your response just proved my point. Let's just talk about the costs and muddy the waters. Have only seen this mentioned in addition to concerns of those held in detention. Despite the costs people are suffering.
This was once a great nation with caring people. Shame.

And no, for legitimate asylum seekers, they can't leave any time... they are our prisoners. We have their lives in our hands, and our hands are filthy.

Bullshit.

This was once a great nation with caring people. Shame.

They do care. Hence they support real refugees in UN camps over those who rip up their documents, pay people smugglers, molest children and set boats on fire in order to jump the queue.

Would you support rich people being able to buy their way to the front of the organ donor queue?

Even Fairfax gets it

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/comment/bill-shortens-leadership-heading-into-its-ultimate-test-20150723-giiqb0.html#ixzz3ghpkA1jp

There have been few more clear-cut left-right divides in national politics than this issue, yet Shorten's assessment is that Labor's long-term position has become untenable. He admits openly that the Rudd government erred. On this he is correct. Like it or not, the harsh policy of this government has achieved a morally superior outcome - people have stopped dying at sea

Last edited:
Bullshit.

They do care. Hence they support real refugees in UN camps over those who rip up their documents, pay people smugglers, molest children and set boats on fire in order to jump the queue.

Would you support rich people being able to buy their way to the front of the organ donor queue?
Not you too, what about those in detention? Try and just address the current situation in Nauru And PNG.
Convicted persons have more rights and better health care.
Please don't repeat the same old that is scattered throughout this thread.

Your response just proved my point. Let's just talk about the costs and muddy the waters. Have only seen this mentioned in addition to concerns of those held in detention. Despite the costs people are suffering.

uh the advocates are the ones bringing up costs.

I accept that our system of boat turn backs/offshore processing/TPV are a necessary evil as not to encourage desparate people to get on unsafe vessels.

A.S. advocates on the other hand decry the human and monetary costs of the Pacific solution and bring down the system leading to a much worse human tragedy.

When the costs of dealing with the issue is now ten times worse, they use that as an argument to start the insanity again.

Its like setting a house on fire and then crying about the cost of putting it out.

Not you too, what about those in detention?

The Australian govt in the past has repeatedly tried to get people to voluntarily go home. This is what annoys me so greatly Maggie, I appreciate others have different views but unfortunately its extremely common for advocates of asylum seekers to blatantly lie. They are NOT prisoners.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/abbott-offers-asylum-seekers-10k-to-go-home-20140620-3ajr6.html#ixzz3ghrpAE10

The Abbott government is offering asylum seekers on Manus Island and Nauru detention centres up to $10,000 to abandon their hope of resettlement in Australia and voluntarily return to the country they fled from.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/national/a/8291590/go-home-incentive-for-asylum-seekers/

Asylum seekers could be paid up to $4000 each to go home under a Gillard Government program to ease the squeeze on the nation

The Australian govt in the past has repeatedly tried to get people to voluntarily go home. This is what annoys me so greatly Maggie, I appreciate others have different views but unfortunately its extremely common for advocates of asylum seekers to blatantly lie. They are NOT prisoners.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/abbott-offers-asylum-seekers-10k-to-go-home-20140620-3ajr6.html#ixzz3ghrpAE10

The Abbott government is offering asylum seekers on Manus Island and Nauru detention centres up to $10,000 to abandon their hope of resettlement in Australia and voluntarily return to the country they fled from.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/national/a/8291590/go-home-incentive-for-asylum-seekers/

Asylum seekers could be paid up to $4000 each to go home under a Gillard Government program to ease the squeeze on the nation
Yes I have seen but what about those that can't go back?
Can't recall the figure but it has been found that a certain number are genuine AS.
It has become a very messy situation, I thought that last December the government assured us that there would not be any children in detention that is why they rushed legislation through. Yet here we are with still over 100 in detention.
They only ones benefitting from all this is the economy of PNG, Nauru and Cambodia.

Its a bit rich to say you cant go back because you have no documentation when you were the one who destroyed your documentation in the first place.
Haha but not as rich as sending people back to live in terrible places, that I imagine, you and I wouldn't even visit?

Haha but not as rich as sending people back to live in terrible places, that I imagine, you and I wouldn't even visit?

Yes, Romeoh we can all look back with sorrow that the British Empire fell and previously very well run countries like Zimbabwe disintegrated in to shitholes.

Still, whose fault is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back