Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes i have to admit Tone boy has won his war in stopping the invasion from the north with minor casualties & he can now dress up in his Field Marshall uniform look at himself smugly in the mirror & proclaim loud & clear "Mission Accomplished"

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...n-by-80-per-cent/story-fn59niix-1226888420960

AUSTRALIA’S hard-line strategy against people smuggling has reduced asylum-seeker registrations in Indonesia by more than 80 per cent this year.
Between late December and the end of last month, the number of asylum-seekers registering had fallen from 100 people daily to about 100 people weekly, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees Indonesia representative, Manuel Jordao, said…
Another key indicator of asylum-seekers’ diminished capability to board boats to Australia was the “no-show rate” at the Jakarta office falling from 50 per cent a year ago to 2 per cent now. This was the rate of people reporting for registration but failing to return to UNHCR — authorities assuming most no-shows had boarded boats
Dubious quality economic migrants now coming via back door 457 visas, how much do they pay?

I think you have run so much further down the decision tree path to justify your position on asylum seeker you are overlooking the real issue.

It is easy to confuse the issue if you pull irrelevant issues in. Are we talking about poor behaviour by some corporations or immigration? Are we talking about recruitment processes and the suitability of candidates? Are we talking about mismanagement of 457s?

- All I care about is our immigration policy is sustainable and controlled by our government rather than controlled by organised crime and the clients of people smugglers.
- This is not a anti-asylum seeker stance as the number of asylum seekers arriving by boat is a small % of the total
- I am all for targeted immigration, like 457s in addition to asylum seekers, with our government consulting with industry to address specific needs
- I am proud that our nation offers 457 workers the opportunity to stay after their initial visa. As they have helped our nation and shouldn't be discarded when we no longer need them especially as they would have laid roots down here.
- There are always scum bags who cheat a system and in this case there are allegations of poor business behaviour. This emphasises the 457 process needs to be managed by the issuer of 457s.
- Exceeding quotas is not poor behaviour, rather it suggest the growth forecasts underestimated actual demand
- Quotas are a silly concept and should not be considered a good management tool
- I am not sure how 457s can be considered queue jumpers as I understand the process is a pull process and not a push process

I am saying that if there is a skill shortage, we seem to have a problem with dealing humanely with the current group of asylum seekers.
Do we know what skills the genuine ones have? Why can't these people be quickly processed so that they can be released on 457 visas thereby killing two birds with one stone.

When you use the words organised crime, it is the boat owners that are the criminals not Asylum seekers!

As to the whole question of 457 visas, why aren't people as outraged that persons from overseas can be brought into this country for jobs where no skill shortage exists? No sure how you can exceed a quotas for shortages that don't exist in the first place.
Further to your point of business poor behaviour, Labor addressed this by trying to make it harder and Abbott and Co have now changed this yet no outrage.
Perhaps they have forgotten that unemployment is high especially amongst the young, how hard are employers looking within Australia. There is lot of information on this too.

The fact that many are using these visas to gain citizenships for themselves and families is wrong. Why are they considered more genuine than AS?

- I am not sure how 457s can be considered queue jumpers as I understand the process is a pull process and not a push process

These attacks on 457 visas are just straight out zenophobic and racist. NSW Right created the issue as a cynical way to get back the vote in western Sydney and Gillard went along it. Coming from Labor it was nothing short of vile, the campaign was Labor's lowest moment in the leadup to the election and Julia Gillard's most shameful action of her prime ministership.

457 visas were/are legal and no different to the employer work visas issued in the UK, where the recipients can apply for permanent residence after 4 years and citizen 2 years after that. Both my children live in the UK on that basis.

To think that Maggie's family came here as legal refugees post war and here she is channelling Pauline Hanson.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-04/cambodia-asylum-seekers-tony-abbott-would-welcome/5366438

"We're very pleased to have been getting the support from PNG and Nauru that we've had and we look forward to further support from other countries in our region including from Cambodia."

http://www.theage.com.au/national/malaysia-deal-not-on-abbott-20110913-1k7vd.html

''What decent government would send boat people to a country where they could be exposed to caning? Malaysia is a friend of Australia, but their standards are not our standards - and it is very wrong of Australia to send people who have come into our care, however briefly, to a country whose standards are so different from ours''.

These attacks on 457 visas are just straight out zenophobic and racist. NSW Right created the issue as a cynical way to get back the vote in western Sydney and Gillard went along it. Coming from Labor it was nothing short of vile, the campaign was Labor's lowest moment in the leadup to the election and Julia Gillard's most shameful action of her prime ministership.

457 visas were/are legal and no different to the employer work visas issued in the UK, where the recipients can apply for permanent residence after 4 years and citizen 2 years after that. Both my children live in the UK on that basis.

To think that Maggie's family came here as legal refugees post war and here she is channelling Pauline Hanson.

I love the fact I can turn up in Guinea, the Philippines, South Africa, Chile, Peru, Brazil etc and start up a business and have colleagues work there and create local employment.

I love the fact many of my friends completed their studies and found themselves working in the UK and traveling through Europe.

I love the fact my soccer team is filled with Peruvians, Brazilians, Irish, UK, American, Czech, Malaysian, Indonesian and Singaporean (oh and an Aussie).

I love the fact I can eat wonderful food from around the world and have it cooked in our restaurants by people representing the culture.

I love hearing foreign languages being spoken in the work place, on our public transport and in our bars.

I just don't get the racist element. Especially if it is driven by a Scottish union rep chanting Australian jobs for Australians. Don't get me wrong, I want our immigration to be sustainable and it needs to consider all sorts of aspects such as unemployment. But we shouldn't shoot ourselves in the foot and give into racist policies.

Oh, and I am here from the luxury of post war immigration. I could be in the US (with the other side of my family) or worse still stuck in Czech or the Slovak republic.

Last edited:
I am saying that if there is a skill shortage, we seem to have a problem with dealing humanely with the current group of asylum seekers.
Do we know what skills the genuine ones have? Why can't these people be quickly processed so that they can be released on 457 visas thereby killing two birds with one stone.

When you use the words organised crime, it is the boat owners that are the criminals not Asylum seekers!

As to the whole question of 457 visas, why aren't people as outraged that persons from overseas can be brought into this country for jobs where no skill shortage exists? No sure how you can exceed a quotas for shortages that don't exist in the first place.
Further to your point of business poor behaviour, Labor addressed this by trying to make it harder and Abbott and Co have now changed this yet no outrage.
Perhaps they have forgotten that unemployment is high especially amongst the young, how hard are employers looking within Australia. There is lot of information on this too.

The fact that many are using these visas to gain citizenships for themselves and families is wrong. Why are they considered more genuine than AS?

Maggie, I think looking beyond the issues you raise, you have a kind heart and just want to see a group of people seeking a better life have that opportunity.

There is nothing wrong with that and that is a noble position.

Where the stance gets difficult for policy makers, is life is not that simple and they have to take into account many competing factors (and many of those can not be discussed publicly for a variety of reasons).

Addressing youth unemployment is extremely important as a constant concern which has not been addressed properly since I left school and probably a lot longer than that. The problem of long term unemployment is very similar issues as youth unemployment.

I blame two things being our culture which is not community orientated and social enough for my liking and the other is our education system.

Our education system does not teaches kids about life and how to fit in. As a 41 yo, I am still learning but have the benefit of 1 special but 10 in total mentors. Why don't our schools have a buddy system where kids have access to or can talk to businessmen, Phds, sporting professionals, religious leaders, government representatives etc.

These bonds can be there for life and can open doors or provide the guidance kids need.

This is not rocket science and this has been done very well by jews and chinese for centuries. Why don't we simply copy them and change our community and social spirit to a co-operative one.

Any boats this week ?
This is a recording..... at the third stroke.... any boats this week?........any boats this week?......yna tsboa siht ekew?......
We apologise for the broken record, we should have this rectified by the beginning of May.

Should we start a tote for the number of boats arrivals each week and the number of clients of people smugglers on those boats?

I will go for zero this week

oh and for the avoidance of doubt, a boat arrival is where clients of people smugglers arrive by boat and end up in an Australian immigration centre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KLXY5kS.jpg

How many boats were turned back? Did we send anyone to countries behaving in a manner that is contrary to human rights? Oh wait on, we haven't started on poor old Cambodia yet, have we? Christmas Island-yep wonderful resettlement option.
How one can possibly see this sidestepping of the problem, and shoving it onto struggling or inappropriate countries as a victory is beyond me. What a grubby gov't indeed.;)

Last edited:
Look at the thread title.

My question is quite relevant.

Waiting for Gough to accept the answer and then close the thread.

Exactly. And then during the next federal election he can post a campaign thread "Start the Boats Again - and tell us the moment they hit the horizon. Vote Labor and Greens" :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back