Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexa95

Rookie
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Except there are a lot more, say about 60,000 illegals overstaying their visas. Quite a few staying on for years.
YYet you'd find the same for these poor oppressed characters who are supposedly refugees from non white origins.

romeoh

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
YYet you'd find the same for these poor oppressed characters who are supposedly refugees from non white origins.
I don't know what you have said here.
But if someone has been processed and accepted as a refugee. All good. No supposed. What has non white got to do with it?

So what exactly is your arguement? Don't worry about it she'll be right?

Lets ignore the critical shortage of housing now and the infrastructure pressure on major cities, Jiska has it all covered.
Spend less money invading countries overseas and spend more on infrastructure would be a good start. As a country we waste billions and billions of dollars on absolute crap. It is not the refugees fault we can't allocate our funding to the areas than need it most. We had a once in a life time mining boom and instead of investing in infrastructure for the future, we gave middle income earners $2 a week in tax cuts and then claim we don't have the infrastructure to take in a few measly refugees? Save me the bullshit, please. Eliminating middle class tax rorts such as negative gearing would clear up a shitload of cash for infrastructure.

We could settle them in rural cities like Bendigo, Tamworth etc and build them up to be large satellite cities and start eliminating our reliance on capital cities.

We could even do a straight swap and send all the bigots and racists over to Sudan and Afghanistan and take the people who realise what a lucky country we have. Then they'll really have an understanding of the situation. That sounds like a much better plan to me.

Anyone who thinks we don't have the means to build infrastructure to house ten to twenty thousand people a year has rocks in their head.

Alexa95

Rookie
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't know what you have said here.
But if someone has been processed and accepted as a refugee. All good. No supposed. What has non white got to do with it?
Nah there are many non whites who come conveniently on tourist visas and overstay or disappear without documents and work. Just like you and all the other refo supporters claim that the Brits do. Many are questionable or failed asylum seeker too.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The amount of bludgers and people trying to rort the system is probably lesser than those born here, in percentage terms.

Your assertions are way off. Comparing Greeks and Italians to currently asylum seekers is comparing apples and oranges. Unemployment stats for refugees is significantly worse than the median. As are crime rates.

The reality is that ten times as many Europeans overstay their legally attained Visas every year than those arriving on our shores with nothing.

Utterly irrelevant given they arrived in Australia LEGALLY.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't give a toss bag what the studies say-there is plenty of advantage being taken of 457!
Of course the greater need should be met first but in pragmatic terms, some of what you suggest is quite unrealistic. And the line re 'those who play the system best' -well that scenario is greatly exaggerated.

You can think what you like but the data simply does not back up your view.

There is a guy claiming that we can turn the desert into towns supporting 10s of thousands of people and you call me unrealistic?

Apparently we can just rework large parts of a taxation system (with no side effects of course) and easily incorporate 10s of thousands of refugees (a hundred thousand?) train them up with useful skills (engineering, IT skills, etc) and integrate them seamlessly into country towns with no culture shock.

It so easy when you say it like that. I can't believe I ever doubted.

If only we had spent the mining boom on refugees...

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
You can think what you like but the data simply does not back up your view.

There is a guy claiming that we can turn the desert into towns supporting 10s of thousands of people and you call me unrealistic?

Apparently we can just rework large parts of a taxation system (with no side effects of course) and easily incorporate 10s of thousands of refugees (a hundred thousand?) train them up with useful skills (engineering, IT skills, etc) and integrate them seamlessly into country towns with no culture shock.

It so easy when you say it like that. I can't believe I ever doubted.

If only we had spent the mining boom on refugees...

Don't talk s**t. I didn't say that at all.

I'm saying that we could reinvigorate some country towns with some forward planning and thinking. And I would be happy to expand upon that. However, your use of the term "desert" automatically renders your pov as moot.

As for you unrelenting need for data, it is more than curious that you ignore the numerous reports of 457's being exploited, and then conveniently ignore that their self-reporting of such would leave them without a leg to stand on.

I try and give you a break Max, yet you continuously act like a knob.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't talk s**t. I didn't say that at all.

I'm saying that we could reinvigorate some country towns with some forward planning and thinking. And I would be happy to expand upon that. However, your use of the term "desert" automatically renders your pov as moot.

As for you unrelenting need for data, it is more than curious that you ignore the numerous reports of 457's being exploited, and then conveniently ignore that their self-reporting of such would leave them without a leg to stand on.

I try and give you a break Max, yet you continuously act like a knob.

Why do I have to keep going through this? 457 visas have been done to death.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2013/06/27/glance-457-visa-holders-australia

No they are not the bogeyman they are made out to be.

If revitalizing country towns was so easy why don't we do it on a widespread basis now?
The majority of people do not want to live in country towns that's why they are stagnating in the first place.
What makes you think asylum seekers would be any different? What's to stop them from just leaving and moving to the cities anyway? Why would they stay?

I'm not trying to be mean but people are pedaling this fantasy that we can just create these regional hubs that 10s of thousand of asylum seekers will happily live and all the logistics will just sort themselves out.

It's completely unrealistic. I don't think people understand the magnitude of the operation they are advocating for.

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why do I have to keep going through this? 457 visas have been done to death.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2013/06/27/glance-457-visa-holders-australia

No they are not the bogeyman they are made out to be.

If revitalizing country towns was so easy why don't we do it on a widespread basis now?
The majority of people do not want to live in country towns that's why they are stagnating in the first place.
What makes you think asylum seekers would be any different? What's to stop them from just leaving and moving to the cities anyway? Why would they stay?

I'm not trying to be mean but people are pedaling this fantasy that we can just create these regional hubs that 10s of thousand of asylum seekers will happily live and all the logistics will just sort themselves out.

It's completely unrealistic. I don't think people understand the magnitude of the operation they are advocating for.

I'm not going to even bother with the 457 argument. As usual, you have a report and will cling to it for dear life.

Country towns however, I will take issue with.

The reason people left the bush originally was because of the lack of work, due to the massive rationalisation of farming land from small, family landholders to large conglomerate farming operations. Couple that with huge improvements to agricultural machinery, technology and overall methodology, and far less people were needed than before.

Everyone knows that. It most certainly was not simply because people decided that they didn't want to live there anymore.

Due to this change, plenty of regional shires have successfully rejuvenated their towns by careful, and well planned development of niche industries by developing industrial land and offering it at extremely cheap prices or backing small entrepreneurs who had bankable ideas.

I'd point you to Dalwallinu and Wagin as examples. Towns like Bruce Rock successfully offered free land for housing as another example. These towns were dying but now are thriving, and many people have returned there for the lifestyle and availability of solid employment.

In fact, at the height of the mining boom, they were crying out for more people!

There is no reason that this pattern cannot be repeated at some, not all, towns, and a prerequisite for AS's gaining permanent residency would be to move there to live and work for, say, a minimum of 2 years.

Just as we have with the current system for overseas Doctors wishing to practice in Australia.

Governments, both State and Local, need these towns to survive, as a dying town is a massive drain on a budget as the cost of providing services and infrastructure is not matched by ratepayer revenues and expenditure.

Get your head out of the sand.

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Member country....... Nom. GDP per capita USD (2013)

Australia.................... 67,468
United States .............53,143
Canada.......................51,911
Germany ................... 45,085
France........................41,421
United Kingdom..........39,351
Japan..........................38,492
Italy ...........................34,619
European Union .........34,072

source "World Economic Outlook: GDP (PPP) per capita". International Monetary Fund. April 2014 data.

Given that australia's is 25% higher than the Us and twice as much as the EU. Any bozo with internet access can find the wealthiest country to sail to.

Todman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn

The reason people left the bush originally was because of the lack of work, due to the massive rationalisation of farming land from small, family landholders to large conglomerate farming operations. Couple that with huge improvements to agricultural machinery, technology and overall methodology, and far less people were needed than before.

Everyone knows that. It most certainly was not simply because people decided that they didn't want to live there anymore.

Due to this change, plenty of regional shires have successfully rejuvenated their towns by careful, and well planned development of niche industries by developing industrial land and offering it at extremely cheap prices or backing small entrepreneurs who had bankable ideas.

In fact, at the height of the mining boom, they were crying out for more people!

There is no reason that this pattern cannot be repeated at some, not all, towns, and a prerequisite for AS's gaining permanent residency would be to move there to live and work for, say, a minimum of 2 years.

Just as we have with the current system for overseas Doctors wishing to practice in Australia.

Reasons to leave a small town

Lack of work opportunity
Lack of study opportunity
Lack of training opportunity
Lack of opportunity to find suitable spouse
Lack of entertainment variety
Lack of living resources
Sick of being other people's gossip
Tired of knowning everybody's elses business.
Get run out of town by law enforcement
Get run out of town by family dispute
Get run out of town by dispute with other people
Leave for sense of adventure.

Docker Clint

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sturt
An $800 door knob?

They could have decapitated Barnaby Joyce and saved themselves a motza.
What use is a door knob that only turns hard to the right?

Xsess

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2007
On top of the world
AFL Club
West Coast
Ten months ago Rudd was the PM.

Dont approach this thread with facts (you will upset the encumbents hereabouts). They’re so focused on standing for a cause that they’ll create an alternate reality in order to create victims and oppressors.. but dont worry, outside of this parallel universe Australians are thankful for the end of the country shopper racket

Last edited:

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dont approach this thread with facts (you will upset the encumbents hereabouts). They’re so focused on standing for a cause that they’ll create an alternate reality in order to create victims and oppressors.. but dont worry, outside of this parallel universe Australians are thankful for the end of the country shopper racket

Sweet f***ing Jesus. Does hypocrisy come any stronger than that?

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not going to even bother with the 457 argument. As usual, you have a report and will cling to it for dear life.

I'd point you to Dalwallinu and Wagin as examples. Towns like Bruce Rock successfully offered free land for housing as another example. These towns were dying but now are thriving, and many people have returned there for the lifestyle and availability of solid employment.

Governments, both State and Local, need these towns to survive, as a dying town is a massive drain on a budget as the cost of providing services and infrastructure is not matched by ratepayer revenues and expenditure.

So what we are going to force 10s of thousand of asylum seekers to live in country towns for a minimum for two years. What work will they do? Where will they live? What if their English or work skills are not up to standard? What if they don't want to live in country towns or change their mind?

Doctors work because they have needed skills and comunities want them. Has anyone actually asked if country towns want 10s of thousands of asylum seekers?

Ten months ago Rudd was the PM.
So Morrison is incapable of saying, hey we will not be using it thereby saving the money to have it on stand-by?
Doesn't he realise that we have an economic crisis?:)

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle
So what we are going to force 10s of thousand of asylum seekers to live in country towns for a minimum for two years. What work will they do? Where will they live? What if their English or work skills are not up to standard? What if they don't want to live in country towns or change their mind?

Doctors work because they have needed skills and comunities want them. Has anyone actually asked if country towns want 10s of thousands of asylum seekers?

You don't read very well at times Max.

I have already explained that many shires are offering incentives to small business and niche industries are flourishing.

Most of the required work is labouring, machine operation etc, so English is not really an issue, nor is work skills with some basic training. Every other immigrant from a non-English speaking country in the past has had to cross this bridge and they seem to be doing ok.

You understand that a dying country town is one with a lot of empty houses, yes?

I am also pretty sure that the vast majority of AS's would jump at the opportunity of a secure job, a home, a good education for their kids and the safety that a bush town can provide.

Again, I have pointed 3 WA wheatbelt towns to you. And yes, immigrants have moved there and been welcomed with open arms.

Country people aren't the hicks that you may have in your stereotype.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
You don't read very well at times Max.

I have already explained that many shires are offering incentives to small business and niche industries are flourishing.

Most of the required work is labouring, machine operation etc, so English is not really an issue, nor is work skills with some basic training. Every other immigrant from a non-English speaking country in the past has had to cross this bridge and they seem to be doing ok.

You understand that a dying country town is one with a lot of empty houses, yes?

I am also pretty sure that the vast majority of AS's would jump at the opportunity of a secure job, a home, a good education for their kids and the safety that a bush town can provide.

Again, I have pointed 3 WA wheatbelt towns to you. And yes, immigrants have moved there and been welcomed with open arms.

Country people aren't the hicks that you may have in your stereotype.

We aren't talking a handful of people here. We are talking 10s of thousands. All at the same time.

How many immigrants have moved to your 3 wheatbelt towns? Do you even know?

Final question: is there an upper limit to how many we take?

We aren't talking a handful of people here. We are talking 10s of thousands. All at the same time.

How many immigrants have moved to your 3 wheatbelt towns? Do you even know?

Final question: is there an upper limit to how many we take?
It seems to me that you are the one talking about 10s of thousand (how many exactly), haven't read it in slicedndiced posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back