Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was starting to feel callous over the boat people issue. Then, on August the second, was listening to news radio and decided that boat people should only really be admitted under some sort of mentally challenged visa. They pay many thousand of dollars to people smugglers. Often for no or bad return. A fraction of the money would get them a plane ticket and a tourist visa. And an equal opportunity to assess asylum in Australia.

Was starting to feel callous over the boat people issue. Then, on August the second, was listening to news radio and decided that boat people should only really be admitted under some sort of mentally challenged visa. They pay many thousand of dollars to people smugglers. Often for no or bad return. A fraction of the money would get them a plane ticket and a tourist visa. And an equal opportunity to assess asylum in Australia.
It incredibly is because they truthfully know that they are not real asylum seekers and as a result are going to get turned anyway if coming here by plane instead.

The reason they take the boats is that you can't hide your identity if you came here on a plane. The airline keeps records of who you are.

Catching a boat here means you can throw your ID overboard and make it much harder for the government to assess your claim.

The reason they take the boats is that you can't hide your identity if you came here on a plane. The airline keeps records of who you are.
Do they keep records of the true identities of those who come here on fake passports and visas?

Do they keep records of the true identities of those who come here on fake passports and visas?

Getting a fake passport and visa that is good enough to get you through Australian immigration is a hell of a lot harder than catching a boat. Additionally, sneaking in here on a fake passport and then living off the grid means you wouldn't be entitled to any welfare or government services. You wouldn't even be able to send your kids to school.

I think you vastly overestimate how many people actually get in here on fake passports. The numbers would be tiny.

Getting a fake passport and visa that is good enough to get you through Australian immigration is a hell of a lot harder than catching a boat. Additionally, sneaking in here on a fake passport and then living off the grid means you wouldn't be entitled to any welfare or government services. You wouldn't even be able to send your kids to school.

I think you vastly overestimate how many people actually get in here on fake passports. The numbers would be tiny.
Exactly yet the logic behind why the passports are dumped by boat and also why people coming by boat are different asylum wise dumbfounds people.

I think you vastly overestimate the ability of passport staff to identify a "fake" passport

We also found large differences in ability between individual passport-issuing officers on this task. Some staff performed extremely well, suggesting that selecting staff that are particularly good at matching faces would provide large improvements in security.
Passport officers were asked to decide whether posed “card holders” matched the passport photo that they presented. In this task, passport officers wrongly accepted non-matching “fraudulent” cards on 14% of occasions. This is comparable to the accuracy rate we find in untrained lay people.

https://theconversation.com/passport-staff-miss-one-in-seven-fake-id-checks-30606

Catching a boat here means you can throw your ID overboard and make it much harder for the government to assess your claim.

They are only buying time in a detention centre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah and that doesn't mean fake passport does it?

Err, they're the folk that check passports. Meaning, they're shithouse at facial recognition, hence crap at detecting "fake passports"

Yeah completely irrelevant and ridiculous.

How so? (when I was responding to your assertion that "Getting a fake passport and visa that is good enough to get you through Australian immigration is a hell of a lot harder than catching a boat").

Err, they're the folk that check passports. Meaning, they're shithouse at facial recognition, hence crap at detecting "fake passports"

uhhhhhhhhhh no, they aren't.

They are the people that issue passports at Australian passport offices. Hard to see how they can have much effect on a prospective refugee in Sri Lanka. Not to mention that I hope you are aware that it takes more than rocking up with a photo ID to get a passport issued.

Again, you should read the link. More slowly this time, since you obviously just skimmed the headline, and misunderstood it.

They are the people that issue passports at Australian passport offices. Hard to see how they can have much effect on a prospective refugee in Sri Lanka. Not to mention that I hope you are aware that it takes more than rocking up with a photo ID to get a passport issued.

Again, you should read the link. More slowly this time, since you obviously just skimmed the headline, and misunderstood it.
Have you travelled O.S?

There's tonnes that they can do otherwise to check the legitimacy of a passport such as the security features, scanning it and also look at it to see if tampered with. There is a feature they can remove which directly renders the thing useless too.

Have you travelled O.S?

I live OS.

Again, can you confirm that you understand that the article above is not talking about passport control officers at airports, but rather the staff at Australian passport offices that are charged with issuing passports to Australian citizens?

I live OS.

Again, can you confirm that you understand that the article above is not talking about passport control officers at airports, but rather the staff at Australian passport offices that are charged with issuing passports to Australian citizens?
I took it as read that they were referring about passport control officers at airport. It has happened by the male who used his brother's passport to leave the country.
On the occasions that I have left, they barely look at passport and passengers.

The fact is despite people's inability to read articles correctly the fact is it's a lot easier (not safer) to get here on boat then it is on plane.

Which of course makes you wonder how they managed to fly to Indonesia.

Either way if we are going to support a immigration system that is based on who can pay the most why not cut out the middleman (people smugglers) and just have a bidding process where we get all the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back