Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your solution then is to let them die while trying to get here?

Or do you propose we bypass the whole situation completely and fly them from refugee camps directly?
I've said before I don't think this a bad idea, you seem so concerned about drownings at sea, I would expect you favour this as an option.

Hey poller, do what I am trying to do, give up posting in this thread as you only get the usual responses and end up going around in circles.
Ironic. If you pput forward alternatives you might have some success progressing discussion.

I've said before I don't think this a bad idea, you seem so concerned about drownings at sea, I would expect you favour this as an option.

I know you favor it. The problem then becomes how many of the 44 million refugees would take up an offer to be flown to a 1st world country and leave the refugee camp behind?

I presume full training, education and employment assistance would be offered as well?

I'd say more than the pathetic 13 k or so now, and given the way the ME is looking at the moment, the issue is not going to go away. If we spend half a billion pa on helping to create the conditions that these people are fleeing from I don't see why an equivalent sort of figure can't be spent on helping the people we helped displace.

I'd say more than the pathetic 13 k or so now, and given the way the ME is looking at the moment, the issue is not going to go away. If we spend half a billion pa on helping to create the conditions that these people are fleeing from I don't see why an equivalent sort of figure can't be spent on helping the people we helped displace.

To be honest I wouldn't be sending troops to the ME if it were up to me.

How many more then 13k do you have in mind?

Why punish the refugees by towing them back to an unsafe country

Because many of them are not from an unsafe country. They are economic refugees, seeking to come to Australia because we have a better lifestyle. That can't be allowed, otherwise the whole world would come here.

The Coalition, and Morrison in particular have been heroic with their efforts in this portfolio. Absolutely heroic. They have saved lives, saved us a heap of money, and freed up the detention centres. Their opponents said it couldn't be done. Magnificent effort. 11/10.

Why is it so hard for imbecilic lefties to give credit where it is due?

Because many of them are not from an unsafe country. They are economic refugees, seeking to come to Australia because we have a better lifestyle. That can't be allowed, otherwise the whole world would come here.
Thats not correct

It was shown during the howard government less than 7% were economic refugees

Economic refugees was used as propaganda under the Howard government and under this government

Thats not correct

It was shown during the howard government less than 7% were economic refugees

Economic refugees was used as propaganda under the Howard government and under this government

During the Howard government?

And since the gates were thrown open under Rudd, and every man and his dog were coming here, how many do you think were economic refugees? Lots. Hell, to get on a boat, you generally need money. Most of them throw their paperwork away so they can't be identified.

Anyway you look at it, the Coalition have been heroic on this. I'll bet you said they couldn't stop the boats and save the lives. They have. I'll bet you any money that one year ago you said they wouldn't be able to do it.

Will you admit you were wrong, and they have delivered an 11/10 on this portfolio? Morrison is being talked up as a future PM, just due to his efforts on this. That's how well he has done.

Last edited:
Under the howard government , who cliamed they were illegal boat around 80% were actually refugees
Like the howard government this incompetent governemnt is judging them before knowing the facts, and falsely calling them illegal boat people

Back in March you claimed it was only %80, now you are claiming 93%

During the Howard government?

And since the gates were thrown open under Rudd, and every man and his dog were coming here, how many do you think were economic refugees? Lots. Hell, to get on a boat, you generally need money. Most of them throw their paperwork away so they can't be identified.

Anyway you look at it, the Coalition have been heroic on this. I'll bet you sad they couldn't stop the boats and save the lives. They have. I'll bet you any money that one year ago you said they wouldn't be able to do it.

Will you admit you were wrong, and they have delivered an 11/10 on this portfolio? Morrison is being talked up as a future PM, just due to his efforts on this. That's how well he has done.
But if they are only economic refugees simply in search of a better life, why are they willing to risk their lives getting on a boat?
Re Morrison as PM-the good news is they won't get a second term so we will be spared anything that dreadful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But if they are only economic refugees simply in search of a better life, why are they willing to risk their lives getting on a boat?
Re Morrison as PM-the good news is they won't get a second term so we will be spared anything that dreadful.

Sorry to break the news to you, but there is no way in hell the Coalition won't be re-elected. First term governments don't get voted out unless they are really bad. Even the awful first term Rudd/Gillard government was able to cling to power for a second term.

Look how much more statesmanlike, professional, and measured Abbott is compared to Labor. Shorten is unelectable as PM. Did you see his unhinged diatribe about Japan/submarines the other day. Abbott is a genuine leader as PM. The left can't bear it. They WANT Abbott to be incompetent, but just like he was as opposition leader, he exceeds expectations.

Abbott had always exceeded expectations. I told you guys this months ago. When do I get my apology?

If the opinion polls are anything to go by mate, no apology is neccesary.

They aren't.

The only poll that matters is the one on election day.

I do find it ironic though that the same people who claim this thread is full of name calling and insults don't seem to reply to this thread when any serious questions are asked.

Its like they go out of their way to respond to insults and 'easy' posts but ignore posts that might actually make them articulate their beliefs and generate real discussion.

Very strange.

If you're talking about my not replying to how many refugees we should take a year, the answer is I'm not sure. I know we can do better than 13k a year, we are a wealthy country with an aging population, a skills shortage in certain areas and a problem with a population being centralised in urban areas. Our refugee program should address all these issues and should compliment them, if this means it's fifty thousand a year then it's that, if it's thirty then so be it. What I am sure of is we shouldn't be locking people up in the middle of the Pacific, at huge cost to the taxpayer and even larger cost to the asylum seeker. At the moment it's all stick and no carrot, we need to find a balance.

If you're talking about my not replying to how many refugees we should take a year, the answer is I'm not sure. I know we can do better than 13k a year, we are a wealthy country with an aging population, a skills shortage in certain areas and a problem with a population being centralised in urban areas. Our refugee program should address all these issues and should compliment them, if this means it's fifty thousand a year then it's that, if it's thirty then so be it. What I am sure of is we shouldn't be locking people up in the middle of the Pacific, at huge cost to the taxpayer and even larger cost to the asylum seeker. At the moment it's all stick and no carrot, we need to find a balance.

Didn't mean to single you out. You are far from the worst offender in this thread (not mentioning any names).

The thing is if a refugee could fill a position on the desired occupation list why would they need to hire a people smuggler? They could just apply for the appropriate visa first. They would have a far safer, cheaper and easier pathway of getting into Australia.

Last edited:
Sorry to break the news to you, but there is no way in hell the Coalition won't be re-elected. First term governments don't get voted out unless they are really bad. Even the awful first term Rudd/Gillard government was able to cling to power for a second term.

Look how much more statesmanlike, professional, and measured Abbott is compared to Labor. Shorten is unelectable as PM. Did you see his unhinged diatribe about Japan/submarines the other day. Abbott is a genuine leader as PM. The left can't bear it. They WANT Abbott to be incompetent, but just like he was as opposition leader, he exceeds expectations.

Abbott had always exceeded expectations. I told you guys this months ago. When do I get my apology?
You didn't actually answer my question though.
As in your bolded-you have nailed it. Tone and statesmanlike? Hard to believe you could keep a straight face when you wrote that. I didn't have high expectations of Tone and his gov't, but you are right he has exceeded them-Yep-indeed, he is even less capable, less intelligent than I thought he would be. He is so far out of his depth, I almost feel sorry for him. And by the looks of the polls, lots of others have worked it out very quickly too. Carry on make the most of it -the three years will go very quickly for you.;)

If the opinion polls are anything to go by mate, no apology is neccesary.
Pfft, opinion polls. A few months after the coalition toughest budget. Opinion polls mean nothing.

Hell, I remember the 2004 election campaign where Latham led 52-48, 53-47 in some polls during the campaign. When the election comes around, people start to think about who they would vote for.

One year into Rudds first term he was up 56-44 and I think even more. It was ridiculous

Now be honest: when it comes to the next election, who would "really" be more electable as PM? Abbott or Shorten? You know as well as I do the answer is Abbott.

You also know that Abbott always exceeds expectations in whatever he does. One day, people will cotton onto this and accept it, even if Abbott doesn't represent their ideology.

Pfft, opinion polls. A few months after the coalition toughest budget. Opinion polls mean nothing.

Hell, I remember the 2004 election campaign where Latham led 52-48, 53-47 in some polls during the campaign. When the election comes around, people start to think about who they would vote for.

One year into Rudds first term he was up 56-44 and I think even more. It was ridiculous

Now be honest: when it comes to the next election, who would "really" be more electable as PM? Abbott or Shorten? You know as well as I do the answer is Abbott.

You also know that Abbott always exceeds expectations in whatever he does. One day, people will cotton onto this and accept it, even if Abbott doesn't represent their ideology.
Latham was an opposition leader and Rudd, god knows how, maintained his election winning margin. Your boy was elected on a landslide that has disappeared inside six months. I'm not a one term Tony sorta guy, fingers crossed though, I tend to agree that most governments are given two terms, but he has a lot of work to do to convince the voting public that he's not just some kind of overgrown, Sydney Uni, Young Liberal Party member whose boned up on a bit of Friedman between lectures.

Tone and statesmanlike? Hard to believe you could keep a straight face when you wrote that.

Of course he has been statesman like. Anyone who has been following politics closely, particularly his overseas trips will have noticed this.

I know left wing people WANT him to fail, but you will have to accept, whether you like it or not, that he is a genuine leader as PM, and, therefore is doing a good job in what is always the toughest year of any government - their first.

I didn't have high expectations of Tone and his gov't, but you are right he has exceeded them-Yep-indeed, he is even less capable, less intelligent than I thought he would be.

Oh rubbish. Sigh. This kis just more left0wing crap. It wouldn't matter what Abbott did until now, you would have said the exact same thing. Compared to Rudd and Gillard, Abbott has already exceeded them as PM, and he's only had the job for the year. Consider his successful overseas trips, his united government (there are no "off field" leadership speculation or any of that crap that plagued Labor)

It's so obvious when a Labor fan boy is posting. They will be critical of Abbott no matter what. I repeat no matter what.

That's why I hate the left. So many of them don't choose a principle, they choose a side. So even when Abbott clearly displays good leadership and unity, they still won't accept it because he's not on their "side".... that's pathetic. I can accept that Bob Hawke was a good PM, because he was a leader who united his government and the country. The left can never bring themselves to admit a conservative does it well. They are bad losers.

He is so far out of his depth, I almost feel sorry for him.

Rubbish. 19 years in parliament including 11 of those in a previous government. He's about the right age - not too old, not to young. He has a perfect grounding for the top office.

Just because he represents an ideology was has given the world freedom, prosperity and liberty (all things you are apparently against) doesn't mean he's not fit for the job.

As I mentioned above, the left-wing media knows it. You don't see those budgie smuggler cartoons anymore. Abbott is now seen as respected as the PM. I've noticed a change in the way the media and the populace talk about him. And shock horror, he's not that bad! Who would've though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back