Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I actually am Asian, so yeah.

You claimed that Australia was disfavoured because Abbott was not invited. But no country was. Does that mean they were disfavoured too?

When Howard came uninvited it actually strengthened ties.

You're of asian extraction, an immigrant who got lucky, who willingly ignores people who now need help, because it may have some negative impact upon your life.

Excuse me as I openly scoff in your face, you hypocrite.

You know less about Indonesia than you do about cranio-facial surgery.

Do YOU agree though Max, that conflict causes refugees to flee? And that the Rudd-Gillard governments saw a spike in the number of people seeking resettlement away from these conflict zones during their time in office?

What's the crisis Abbott faces? Novorussia? Ebola may become a larger crisis eventually, but the nature of a pandemic means you want to prevent refugees from catching and spreading it anyway, so borders will be closed in West Africa and the refugees will be 'internally displaced' as the non-profits like to call them.

They do. Do you acknowledge there are also pull factors as well?

The dramatic fall off can't all be put on push factors only.

You're of asian extraction, an immigrant who got lucky, who willingly ignores people who now need help, because it may have some negative impact upon your life.

You are Typical of a leftist bully.

Taking moral high ground and being abusive.

The funny thing is yes your a right. The immigrant communities are hypocritical on this issue. Immigrants are some of the most anti immigrant groups you can find (unless its a family member).

Either way the fact Australia didn't have an invite means nothing unless you also say the same lack of invitation applies to all those other countries who were univited too.

How can no invite to Australia mean something but no invite to another country mean nothing? Especially when both attend?

Yep. I agree that it can't be all down to the 'luck' of lessening international crises benefitting the current government.

So both times a strict policy has been enacted the boats stopped. . But it is just coincidence?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So both times a strict policy has been enacted the boats stopped. . But it is just coincidence?

Both times? I seem to recall Howard never actually STOPPED the boats, just shifted them to offshore Australian facilities like Christmas Island.

I can admit though that a strict policy could be a factor... but I wonder how word of mouth is spreading along the illegal migrant trails. Are people actually responding on the demand side as well as the supply side? People smugglers will always be saying that they are successfully putting people into Australia, and that the government is lying about no boats getting through.

Some people will always be desperate enough to risk a boat ride.

Both times? I seem to recall Howard never actually STOPPED the boats, just shifted them to offshore Australian facilities like Christmas Island.

I can admit though that a strict policy could be a factor... but I wonder how word of mouth is spreading along the illegal migrant trails. Are people actually responding on the demand side as well as the supply side? People smugglers will always be saying that they are successfully putting people into Australia, and that the government is lying about no boats getting through.

Some people will always be desperate enough to risk a boat ride.

Actually the amount of boat arrivals dropped dramatically and by the end of his term one offshore facility was shut down due to lack of use and the other had 1 person in it.

Sure some people always are but should we encourage it?

Not so. Navy under Howard started turning boats around in September 2001. Turned 4 boats between then and mid December.

After the last two were turned in quick succession in mid December no more came.

Operation Sov borders was just a repeat of Howard's use of military to take away the incentive to pay those huge sums of money to people smugglers. Once turnbacks were in place and executed successfully , the customers wouldn't pay for the trip any more. Not so persecuted after all it seems.

Not so. Navy under Howard started turning boats around in September 2001. Turned 4 boats between then and mid December.

After the last two were turned in quick succession in mid December no more came.

Operation Sov borders was just a repeat of Howard's use of military to take away the incentive to pay those huge sums of money to people smugglers. Once turnbacks were in place and executed successfully , the customers wouldn't pay for the trip any more. Not so persecuted after all it seems.

You need to start getting banned every time you lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back