Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
2 wrongs don't make a right.
Locking people in detention centres until they literally go mad isn't the right answer.
Ask yourself if you would like this to happen to your children or someone in your family.
Claiming that this is compassionate because the alternative is worse doesn't make sense.
It just means both solutions are wrong.
Anything that diminishes our common humanity and compassion is wrong & selfish.
Making yourself feel less selfish by pointing your finger at others doesn't work either.
There has to be a better way.
Political leaders should make us want to aim higher, not race to the gutter and then try and pat us on the back because we are all being selfish together.

I know I'm being idealistic and there isn't an easy answer but we can do a lot better than what is going on now.

You are being idealistic. I would love a Disney solution. Unfortunately no country on earth has one yet.

So its a choice between detention or people dying on boats.

Two wrongs don't make a right but there is such a thing as a lesser evil.

If all is above board in our detention system, why are journos reporting in the issue being referred to the Old Bill? Surely an open and honest, "adult" government would seek transparency on touchy such issues.
Didn't have a problem with open and transparent with their photos taken under billboards. Hypocrites!

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton

Xsess

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2007
On top of the world
AFL Club
West Coast
To point out the utter hypocrisy of Nationalistic twits.

I often wonder whether Australia bashers ever ponder what would have happened when the French, Spanish or Portuguese decided they wanted Terra Australis instead of the British. Particularly with respect to the indigenous ‘problem’.

Xsess

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2007
On top of the world
AFL Club
West Coast
While we are still in 1788, I also want to hear the justification for leaving an entire continent to a relatively few nomadic people and not spreading the benefits of civilisation around.

I often wonder whether Australia bashers ever ponder what would have happened when the French, Spanish or Portuguese decided they wanted Terra Australis instead of the British. Particularly with respect to the indigenous ‘problem’.
Don't be a mistaking yourself for a patriot mate, you're not. True patriots are the ones speaking out against what is happening to people on Manus and Nauru, people who value Australia, it's egalitarianism and it's proud history of helping those in need. Cheerleaders for this policy, like you, are a disgrace to the nation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Xsess

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 22, 2007
On top of the world
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't be a mistaking yourself for a patriot mate, you're not. True patriots are the ones speaking out against what is happening to people on Manus and Nauru, people who value Australia, it's egalitarianism and it's proud history of helping those in need. Cheerleaders for this policy, like you, are a disgrace to the nation.

What policy to you propose?

True patriots like queue jumpers and watching people drown at sea? In that case I think I'd rather not be one.

What policy to you propose?
To say that the only choice is one of death at sea or death by a thousand cuts on a sandbar in the Pacific does suggest a certain lack of imagination. A regional solution with cooperation between all countries with skin in the game would seem to be a logical starting point in solving this problem. But then again, given your anti Islamic bigotry I'd suggest you're not really interested in solving the problem anyway, more just keeping the Mussies out.

To say that the only choice is one of death at sea or death by a thousand cuts on a sandbar in the Pacific does suggest a certain lack of imagination. A regional solution with cooperation between all countries with skin in the game would seem to be a logical starting point in solving this problem. But then again, given your anti Islamic bigotry I'd suggest you're not really interested in solving the problem anyway, more just keeping the Mussies out.

The solution is easy...Do what we're doing.

We will take refugees from UN camps near where the problems lie. Those who have the means to make it here by themselves are in less need than those people and are thus given 3 options.

1) Return to their country of origin
2) Sent to a refugee camp where they will be assessed alongside everyone else and *may* be accepted into Australia in time.
3) Wait at Manus island/Nauru (in far better conditions than most refugee camps world wide) until another country decides to accept them.

You don't have a single clue, there is no ordered queue when it comes to refugees worldwide, conditions on Manus and Nauru have been found to be akin to torture by the UNHCR that runs other refugee camps world wide and at the rate we are cutting our intake they will be waiting in camps for processing forever.

You don't have a single clue, there is no ordered queue when it comes to refugees worldwide, conditions on Manus and Nauru have been found to be akin to torture by the UNHCR that runs other refugee camps world wide and at the rate we are cutting our intake they will be waiting in camps for processing forever.

Cutting our intake? We're expanding it.

No, no queue as such, but a quota, and by taking spots in it, they're denying spots to those in greater need.

Different diet?

CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City
Just trying asking any of the millions of people who are alive and fed today because Australia was settled and farmed.

Wasn't asking you.

As to your question, I've asked m'self that on many occasion and come to the same conclusion. If not for the British colonial machine raping and pillaging this fine land, and screwin' with my oirish forebears forcing them to take the perilous journey here(sometimes in chains) then I probably wouldn't be livin' this life of Riley.

3) Wait at Manus island/Nauru (in far better conditions than most refugee camps world wide) until another country decides to accept them.
Seriously, how do you know this to be true?
Do you not read media reports or do they go against your thinking?
Why are the press/others (need special permission which is not often granted) not allowed any near these detention centres?
Why the secrecy if the conditions are that good?

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
While we are still in 1788, I also want to hear the justification for leaving an entire continent to a relatively few nomadic people and not spreading the benefits of civilisation around.

White mans burden hey?

Tell me Xsess, will you share the same views when a technologically advanced alien civilization lands, forces you to speak their language, builds homes on your land, take your children away from you, removes our laws and government, before colonizing over the top of us and so forth?

Bet you would be singing a very different tune.

Hypocrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back