Stop the boats. 5k a head. (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Control? 10's of thousands of centrelink customers hop on planes to indonesia, pay people smugglers and mysteriously arrive by boat in Australian waters without ID (minus 1200 who were collateral damage on the way). Onus goes onto Australian authorities to process ie disprove their dodgy refugee status, while teams of Australians lawyers scuttle out from under their rocks, finding every loophole imaginable to overturn our soveignity, leveraging off the ancient UNHC legislation we were foolish enough to sign in the 50's. With resources overwhelmed and the legal industry feeding at the trough, the impossible task of working out who the hell these 50,000 nameless are leads to mass rubber-stamping, while at one point Labor loses all semblence of control and starts letting unprocessed "nameless" straight into the community (without bothering with the whole processing charade). Of course this unmitigated social disaster has the left feeling all warm and fuzzy and lauding the program as a success because most were granted refugee status, despite mounting evidence they present a national security risk to the extent of planning terrorist activities in Australia.

Last edited:
Have you actually read the Migration Act? Do you understand the laws I'm talking about?
Is that where I'll find the draconian laws you're talking about or is that description of them just your personal view? I would've thought they were the same laws that all people who are subject to administration by the Immigration Dept are subject to. Perhaps you can refer me to some other laws that are applicable only to boat people. The facts are that those who chose to come by boat made a very poor decision despite many of them knowing the possible consequences before they got on them. You make your bed you lie in it. End of story.
The good news is that Scott Morrison has stopped it happening and there'll be no more arrivals and no more drownings.

Is that where I'll find the draconian laws you're talking about or is that description of them just your personal view? I would've thought they were the same laws that all people who are subject to administration by the Immigration Dept are subject to. Perhaps you can refer me to some other laws that are applicable only to boat people.

What a spurious argument.

Of course the laws on 'unlawful maritime arrivals' only apply to people who attempt to enter Australia by boat. Just like the laws in relation to homicide only apply to people who try to murder people.

If the laws in relation to Homicide removed the right of the accused to a trial by jury, natural justice and procedural fairness, while also reversing the onus of proof and applied equally to children as it did to adults then I would also call those laws draconian.

What a spurious argument.

Of course the laws on 'unlawful maritime arrivals' only apply to people who attempt to enter Australia by boat. Just like the laws in relation to homicide only apply to people who try to murder people.

If the laws in relation to Homicide removed the right of the accused to a trial by jury, natural justice and procedural fairness, while also reversing the onus of proof and applied equally to children as it did to adults then I would also call those laws draconian.

The fact that you find these particular laws 'draconian' doesn't mean that they are, it's just your personal view which in the overall scheme of things counts for nothing. Everyone is subject to the laws of the land including people who choose to try and enter this country by means other than the through the proper channels and that's exactly what they chose to do. As I said, you make your bed you lie in it.
The indisputable fact in this whole issue is that under Labor the floodgates were opened and Morrison has now closed them

Last edited:
The fact that you find these particular laws 'draconian' doesn't mean that they are, it's just your personal view which in the overall scheme of things counts for nothing. Everyone is subject to the laws of the land including people who choose to try and enter this country by means other than the through the proper channels and that's exactly what they chose to do.
As I said, you make your bed you lie in it.

Bloody oath! What sort of idiot wouldn't bother thinking through the consequences before choosing to be born in a country controlled by ISIS?

Bloody oath! What sort of idiot wouldn't bother thinking through the consequences before choosing to be born in a country controlled by ISIS?
So all of the unlawful maritime arrivals came from countries controlled by ISIS? You really should put more thought into what you post.

" choosing to be born"? Who get's that option?

Last edited:
So all of the unlawful maritime arrivals came from countries controlled by ISIS? You really should put more thought into what you post.

" choosing to be born"?

It's just an example.

We haven't even stared about Africa yet and the problems of Boko Haram and what they are getting up to.

The whole problem really is that the current and previous asylum seeker policies only address the end game in the actual arrival. I don't care and I'm sure most sane people don't care how they are getting here, but, that they are still coming and it seems there's a lot of sitting on hands and not solving the problems at the source.

It needs a more holistic approach.

The fact that you find these particular laws 'draconian' doesn't mean that they are, it's just your personal view which in the overall scheme of things counts for nothing. Everyone is subject to the laws of the land including people who choose to try and enter this country by means other than the through the proper channels and that's exactly what they chose to do. As I said, you make your bed you lie in it.
The indisputable fact in this whole issue is that under Labor the floodgates were opened and Morrison has now closed them

None of which has any bearing on what I said.

The laws are draconian. Intentionally so in fact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of which has any bearing on what I said.

The laws are draconian. Intentionally so in fact.

As I stated, that's your opinion and doesn't really count for anything. As for being intentionally so, that's just ridiculous.
Better qualified people than you and those who have to work with the laws don't seem to be complaining. Maybe you can provide some evidence to support your claim that they are intentionally draconian.

As I stated, that's your opinion and doesn't really count for anything.

Your opinion doesnt count for anything either. Two can play at that game.

As for being intentionally so, that's just ridiculous.

Bullshit. The laws are designed to be intentionally draconian.

The laws allow the State to imprison people indefinitely (including children) offshore and away from any legal representation, no judicial review allowed and at the sole discretion of the Minister - whom is expressly not bound to Natural Justice or Procedural Fairness when exercising that discretion. If the Minister determines that the person is a 'security risk' then that person can be detained indefinitely - again apparently with no judicial review allowed thanks to a privative clause in the Act. Also, the Minister can simply deport people anywhere in the world, using force if necessary (again - no appeals allowed).

Even people charged with freaking murder get better protections than that, and face less draconian provisions.

Your opinion doesnt count for anything either. Two can play at that game.

Bullshit. The laws are designed to be intentionally draconian.

The laws allow the State to imprison people indefinitely (including children) offshore and away from any legal representation, no judicial review allowed and at the sole discretion of the Minister - whom is expressly not bound to Natural Justice or Procedural Fairness when exercising that discretion. If the Minister determines that the person is a 'security risk' then that person can be detained indefinitely - again apparently with no judicial review allowed thanks to a privative clause in the Act. Also, the Minister can simply deport people anywhere in the world, using force if necessary (again - no appeals allowed).

Even people charged with freaking murder get better protections than that, and face less draconian provisions.

All sounds perfectly reasonable and necessary when it comes to protecting our borders, we can't just let people in willy nilly and if it cuts out any involvement by lawyers that makes it even better.
If people want to come to this country there is a right and legal way and a wrong and illegal way, jumping on leaky boats and paying crooks for the passage is clearly the wrong way. That's the law.

Last edited:
All sounds perfectly reasonable and necessary when it comes to protecting our borders, we can't just let people in willy nilly and if it cuts out any involvement by lawyers that makes it even better.
If people want to come to this country there is a right and legal way and a wrong and illegal way, jumping on leaky boats and paying crooks for the passage is clearly the wrong way. That's the law.

It fails the fair go for all test.

It fails human rights laws.

It fails the Geneva Convention.

So is paying a people smuggler to try to get around a sovereign nations laws. Where is the fair go for those who can't or unwilling to bribe their way into the country?

That's where the holistic approach comes in.

That's where we employ diplomats to go and get people from refugee camps directly, whether they have paperwork or not.

That's where we employ federal police to go into known people smuggler haunts and bring them to justice.

No you didn't, don't tell porkies it doesn't become you. You were probably pissed off about the Lawyers not getting involved eh?

People charged with offences and/or imprisoned, shouldn't have access to lawyers or a fair hearing eh?

If this is your actual opinion, we have nothing more to talk about.

Also, I'm flattered that you have quoted me in your signature, if a little flummoxed why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back