Rumour Stuart Dew to coach Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess we wait and see, but if they seriously appoint Dew without interviewing a bunch of candidates then they're clowns.

That club needs the best possible candidate, and they need to follow a process.

That's not to say Dew is not that man, but having your sights set on one candidate this far out and risking being blinkered to others is so bloody stupid from a club who can't afford to get this appointment wrong.

I guess we wait and see, but if they seriously appoint Dew without interviewing a bunch of candidates then they're clowns.

That's not to say Dew is not that man, but having your sights set on one candidate this far out and risking being blinkered to others is so bloody stupid from a club who can't afford to get this appointment wrong.
It sounds like Carlton though. A board meeting deciding who the best, most prestigious thing to get is and going out to get it. No planning or study needed.

Someone else knows someone in the club who said we were getting Worsfold.

Maybe staff are discussing many coaching possibilities?

I can see what will happen here though. We'll get rumours about most of the strong candidates and if we happen to choose one of them, we'll hear about how they were hand picked and the panel we set up to go through the process was a sham .... typical Carlton. Once again, we'll put more stock in BF rumours that are unprovable than the fact we have invited people like Jason Dunstall on to a panel only to completely ignore any insight they might provide.

Agree - I'm hoping they do go through a process this time. All noises I heard from the club is that this is what will happen. Bassett and Dew seem to be popular picks. Having said that, I think regardless of what most clubs call a 'process' generally starts with a favoured candidate and the 'process' is there just to eliminate any other potentials but I reckon 80% of the time the favoured candidate at the start get's the job. I will say that I think Clarkson was the exception to this.

I do laugh a bit when people say Carlton 'need to get an untried coach !!' - Not sure why this is the case. Shouldn't we just be looking for the best coach ??

...or is somehow more noble to, hopefully, win a flag with a new coach. Never sure on this logic.

I do laugh a bit when people say Carlton 'need to get an untried coach !!' - Not sure why this is the case. Shouldn't we just be looking for the best coach ??

...or is somehow more noble to, hopefully, win a flag with a new coach. Never sure on this logic.

I agree. I think getting an untried coach is particularly applicable to us as we have never had a process and do go for messiah types. We have had an untried coach ... Ratten but there wasn't really a process.

For me it is about dispelling perceptions about us cutting corners and not embracing modern football. Supporter and media pressure.

If Paul Roos was available, would we go there? He would be appointed not interviewed.

Just interested - how many candidates were interviewed when James Hird was appointed coach ????
Can't retort argument or discuss topic at hand, instead attacks club of poster. BigFooty 101.

Can't retort argument or discuss topic at hand, instead attacks club of poster. BigFooty 101.

That will happen when based on a BF rumour, you take an opportunity to ignore the fact we have announced a comprehensive process and have actively sourced people to be on the panel, to suggest that sounds like Carlton to forego planning and study.

Your cynical offering to the discussion was greeted with an even more cynical response. That's BigFooty Masters Degree learning there, not an online TAFE course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets face it, doesn't matter who they get as coach, They will be a scapegoat. They will try there hardest but the list will let them down and in 3 years they will be sacked because the team stinks-just as the list is beginning to take shape or adopt the game plan correctly...then the next coach will come in and things will start looking up and 2nd coach will collect the accolades... standard procedure. e.g. Bulldogs, Lions,

Lets face it, doesn't matter who they get as coach, They will be a scapegoat. They will try there hardest but the list will let them down and in 3 years they will be sacked because the team stinks-just as the list is beginning to take shape or adopt the game plan correctly...then the next coach will come in and things will start looking up and 2nd coach will collect the accolades... standard procedure. e.g. Bulldogs, Lions,

Maybe but that is not what has happened in recent history. Pagan got 5 years, game plan never evolved, performances got worse. Ratten got 5 years, list started taking shape, game plan was exciting but it was inconsistent and injury ravaged in 2012 and fell. One could argue Ratten was a scapegoat but he was the subject of ridicule amongst neutral supporters before he was sacked so it would be a tad revisionist to say so now. He did get the 5 years though. Malthouse got 3 years, game plan is a dog's breakfast, list is worse and year 3 was our worst year in a long time. He's no scapegoat.

Maybe but that is not what has happened in recent history. Pagan got 5 years, game plan never evolved, performances got worse. Ratten got 5 years, list started taking shape, game plan was exciting but it was inconsistent and injury ravaged in 2012 and fell. One could argue Ratten was a scapegoat but he was the subject of ridicule amongst neutral supporters before he was sacked so it would be a tad revisionist to say so now. He did get the 5 years though. Malthouse got 3 years, game plan is a dog's breakfast, list is worse and year 3 was our worst year in a long time. He's no scapegoat.

Yeah thats fair, i suppose what I'm trying to say is that its a very difficult task to take on... for whom ever gets the gig. Will have to do a serious shift to get a contract extension thats for sure.

Yeah thats fair, i suppose what I'm trying to say is that its a very difficult task to take on... for whom ever gets the gig. Will have to do a serious shift to get a contract extension thats for sure.

I am loathe to give out long contracts which is what we require right now. If a coach plainly shows themselves to be devoid of ideas 5 years is an awfully long time to wait to go again.

I'd go for a 3 year contract with certain KPIs that must be met in terms of development to get another 2. It can't be based on wins. I'm not sure how to word such a contract but it would have to be around our age profile, maybe younger players of today filling a certain amount of spots in B&F over the next few years, games played by younger players ... maybe even a couple of Rising Star nominations over that period. Something that indicates we are building something. Maybe even something relating to improved competiveness. I mean, that's what we want to see and these are indicators of doing a good job coming from a fair way back. Just nigh on impossible to put into a contract because of its subjective nature.

Sort of goes to my point earlier that the prevailing view is that Carlton must go for the 'untried' coach whose prepared to burn his reputation while the re-build takes place.

Correct - and Big Footy 100 is trotting out some tired old cliché based on a rumour about something that hasn't even occurred yet.

If you want to knock Carlton, at least be original !!

My brother in law is a chippy, had dinner with him last night and he mentioned that his company has just been given a contract to widen the doors at Carlton HQ from the standard 820mm frames to 870's.

Better put in a lift aswell

Someone else knows someone in the club who said we were getting Worsfold.

Maybe staff are discussing many coaching possibilities?

I can see what will happen here though. We'll get rumours about most of the strong candidates and if we happen to choose one of them, we'll hear about how they were hand picked and the panel we set up to go through the process was a sham .... typical Carlton. Once again, we'll put more stock in BF rumours that are unprovable than the fact we have invited people like Jason Dunstall on to a panel only to completely ignore any insight they might provide.

I heard you're getting Malthouse...........Nanette, one grandmother in exchange for another.

Who cares they will sack him when they start to overrate their list again and bring in sheedy to get a premiership

I am loathe to give out long contracts which is what we require right now. If a coach plainly shows themselves to be devoid of ideas 5 years is an awfully long time to wait to go again.

I'd go for a 3 year contract with certain KPIs that must be met in terms of development to get another 2. It can't be based on wins. I'm not sure how to word such a contract but it would have to be around our age profile, maybe younger players of today filling a certain amount of spots in B&F over the next few years, games played by younger players ... maybe even a couple of Rising Star nominations over that period. Something that indicates we are building something. Maybe even something relating to improved competiveness. I mean, that's what we want to see and these are indicators of doing a good job coming from a fair way back. Just nigh on impossible to put into a contract because of its subjective nature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back