Rumour Stuart Dew

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely with you on the first point. From the sounds of it, the Board and Sanderson were in very different places when it came to where they each thought the list was placed and that means Sanderson thought it was in much better shape than the Board. Sanderson has been guilty of really overrating his list I think. You constantly heard him talk up how good they are but also how young they are, how great their future was. He seemed to always be in the minority there.

Yep, unfortunately the list was in a worse state than Sanderson thought and unfortunately if there is a massive difference there are issue. Not a good sign before the season saying 'our goal is top 4' and to then come 10th!

Longmire doesn't strike me as similar to Roos, in that I think Longmire is a career coach. I can see him doing it for quite a while yet and I imagine Sydney will be happy to keep him until we go very far down the ladder. Eventually I think he'll likely orchestrate a handover much the same as with Roos, but not for a while yet.

Longmire doesn't strike me as similar to Roos, in that I think Longmire is a career coach. I can see him doing it for quite a while yet and I imagine Sydney will be happy to keep him until we go very far down the ladder. Eventually I think he'll likely orchestrate a handover much the same as with Roos, but not for a while yet.

Yeah, I could see Longmire staying here for a fair while. Will be very interesting to see what happens, but if Dew wants to go to Adelaide, fair play to him, you don't pass up the opportunity unless you're convinced you need another few years of development, and know another opportunity will come along.

Bassett is the only other option I could plausibly see taking the gig.

Longmire and Roos joined the club as assistants in the same year, so Longmire was more than happy to wait it out as an assistant. He won't go anywhere until he is either ready or pushed. But we know the club will appoint from within from now on (Colless and Pridhams words not mine)

Dew has to ask himself a) I am ready and b) is this the right fit for me

If yes to both and if offered the job then he'll go and that shouldn't be an issue to anyone (unlike last year when it was to be a coach in waiting)

The thing about senior coaching in the AFL is clubs (stupidly, in my opinion), don't see all that keen to give people a go if you've failed in your first gig. So if you end up in a crappy situation and aren't able to do much about it and your team sucks, you get put on the assistant pile and usually aren't seen again. That's why they are cautious.

I sense the Crows thought a Premiership was imminent. No ladder sliding from there was to be tolerated - especially with the upstarts at Port sucking the oxygen out of them this year.

If Dew goes there, I hope they have a more reasonable view of what it will take to win a flag and give him a proper shot at it.

Seems to be happy with his media commitments.

Also don't think many clubs would elect an member of their board to be coach.

he could step down

i dont think it will happen, i just think they would let him do whatever he wanted

he could probably make the 22 round 1 if he asked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like what Bassett has done with Norwood in the SANFL. They are a bit of a juggernaut at the moment. I would say that though, since I figured a couple of bucks on Bassett for the Crows gig at $4.50 was worth a go ;)

As for Josh Francou, he too did really well in SA, bringing the Roosters back up in to contention. Interesting that they slipped out of the finals this year with him gone to the Swans. I'd like to see him as Horse's successor when the time comes.

Anyone still think roo could have the job if he wanted ala hird at essendon

Strikes me a lot like Lyon.

Prepared to work in the shadows but noit on the actual front line.

When it all goes pear shape they throw a "volunteer" overboard real quick even if they recruited them in the first place.

The self promotion these flogs give themselves via their media roles, and of course Eddie is the main culprit, is unhealthy. Leads to a lack of real analysis of their roles plus decisions and it is horribly self-serving.

I sense the Crows thought a Premiership was imminent. No ladder sliding from there was to be tolerated - especially with the upstarts at Port sucking the oxygen out of them this year.

I recall watching a vid clip of Sando at the Crows pre-season launch. I think it was '13. He was talking up the team big time, making analogies to the Baltimore Ravens that had won that year along with a host of other so called 'signs'. He and the Crows faithful seemed utterly convinced they were going to make it top 4 and push for a flag that year. Nek minute.

I believe the saying is, hoisted by his own petard.:p

I recall watching a vid clip of Sando at the Crows pre-season launch. I think it was '13. He was talking up the team big time, making analogies to the Baltimore Ravens that had won that year along with a host of other so called 'signs'. He and the Crows faithful seemed utterly convinced they were going to make it top 4 and push for a flag that year. Nek minute.

I believe the saying is, hoisted by his own petard.:p

Indeedy. Honesty is required for new coaches. But at some clubs, the interviewees who tell them their lists are crap and it's a five year build fail to get the job. Malthouse would have known Carlton weren't going to win a flag. But I promise you he wasn't naive enough to tell the coaching panel that.

I get the sense Adelaide thought a Prelim in 2012 meant their Premiership had arrived.

Losing key players to trade and injury and in 2012 and 2013, compounded by draft penalties left them all at sea. But in truth, if one or two players was the difference between top 2 and bottom 10, then the title chase wasn't genuine in the first place.

I like what Bassett has done with Norwood in the SANFL. They are a bit of a juggernaut at the moment. I would say that though, since I figured a couple of bucks on Bassett for the Crows gig at $4.50 was worth a go ;)

As for Josh Francou, he too did really well in SA, bringing the Roosters back up in to contention. Interesting that they slipped out of the finals this year with him gone to the Swans. I'd like to see him as Horse's successor when the time comes.

Roosters also lost a couple of key players this year so their slide is not all just because Francou left.
Don't get me wrong, Francou is a really good coach.

Woosha will be the Crows next coach for mine.

Get that I don't have runs on the board but I'm going to come right back here when announced. Member since 2011 and hardly posted... Wonder if that's coz I would only share real information?

You were saying?

Saw his name mentioned a couple times in this thread.

Let's get Bassett involved in the club, coaching all star material IMO.

LinusPumpkinPatch.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back