Stuart MacGill suing CA for $2.6m

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if he's gone down the no win no fee path with the ambulance chasers

Stu's a smart guy - he'll stump up some cash and use a proper lawyer, not one of the no win-no fee charlatans.

This will never see a day in court - there will be a quietly negotiated out of court settlement here. At a quick read he has a reasonable case - won't get $2.6million, but he would know that already.

I would've been grateful if I was able to play for Australia...
Don Bradman used that pissweak justification to underpay our cricketers so much that Kerry Packer had to save it.

You'd be grateful to play for Australia. But to do everything else that comes with it? It's a job. Not a hobby.

Just don't make him angry. You won't like him when he is angry.

A mate of mine umpired a lot of underage games in which Stuart MacGill was involved. He said to me once that he hoped MacGill improved with age because he was easily the biggest horse's arse he ever had the misfortune to umpire. He also said he had a firey temper with a very short wick.

A mate of mine umpired a lot of underage games in which Stuart MacGill was involved. He said to me once that he hoped MacGill improved with age because he was easily the biggest horse's arse he ever had the misfortune to umpire. He also said he had a firey temper with a very short wick.
Sounds like a walkup selection for the Australian Test side then.

He was never a fan of umpires, something about a hat rack and a clicker....

Was he playing for North Perth ?.

He definitely danced to a different tune from his team mates.

If in the fine print of his contract it allows for these sums, CA will pay up, and the lawyers will get a new Wange Wover.

Was he playing for North Perth ?.

He definitely danced to a different tune from his team mates.

If in the fine print of his contract it allows for these sums, CA will pay up, and the lawyers will get a new Wange Wover.

I didn't ask who he was playing for, I got the impression it was probably national U19s championships or something like that. I doubt it would have been North Perth because he was a SACA umpire.

He was never a fan of umpires, something about a hat rack and a clicker....

I was the exact opposite, always the umpires' man. My theory was it was a tough job, and besides, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I thought if they liked me, if there was a 50/50 decision to be made, they may just lean my way. Not sure it worked all that well, I still got some really bad calls ... but that's life.

Another reason I never had problems with cricket umpires was because I played basketball. If you can put up with those officious little mongrels, you can put up with anything :)

Wasn't he considered not that good but good enough?

Is this about getting an idea about whether he was a 'star' or not. I mean he wouldn't do it if he didn't think he was 'worth something'?

Wasn't he considered not that good but good enough?

Is this about getting an idea about whether he was a 'star' or not. I mean he wouldn't do it if he didn't think he was 'worth something'?

200 test wickets.

He'd walk into the team now.

Probably Australia's second best spinner in living memory.

He just wasn't as good as Warne

Magilla's new girlfriend is a lawyer and is also the ex wife to John Singleton whom she has 3 children too. Her divorce from Singo netted her around $70 million.

For mine, the difference between MacGill and Warne wasn't talent, it was timing.

While SCG is one of my favourite players, I think that's being a bit too kind to him.

Warne was a rare leg-spinner who was accurate, but could still spin the ball a fair way.

MacGill was a classic leg-spinner - more Arthur Mailey than Clarrie Grimmett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While SCG is one of my favourite players, I think that's being a bit too kind to him.

Warne was a rare leg-spinner who was accurate, but could still spin the ball a fair way.

MacGill was a classic leg-spinner - more Arthur Mailey than Clarrie Grimmett.

I know what you're saying - and in part I agree with you - but based on performance:

SCG MacGill - 4.72 wickets/Test
SK Warne - 4.88 wickets/Test

Warnie got 708 wickets in his 145 Tests. If MacGill was on track for 684 wickets if he'd played the same number of matches.

As for Warnie spinning it a fair way, the longer his career went, Warnie's most dangerous ball was the straight one. He was a spinner whose deadliest weapon didn't spin.

I know what you're saying - and in part I agree with you - but based on performance:

SCG MacGill - 4.72 wickets/Test
SK Warne - 4.88 wickets/Test

Warnie got 708 wickets in his 145 Tests. If MacGill was on track for 684 wickets if he'd played the same number of matches.

As for Warnie spinning it a fair way, the longer his career went, Warnie's most dangerous ball was the straight one. He was a spinner whose deadliest weapon didn't spin.

You forget that MacGill often only played when the wicket warranted two spinners

And of course stats are often misleading - the stats don't tell you often Warne pulled bullshit matchwinning wickets out of nowhere

You forget that MacGill often only played when the wicket warranted two spinners

And of course stats are often misleading - the stats don't tell you often Warne pulled bullshit matchwinning wickets out of nowhere
Too many people focus on the stats of cricket and fail to understand the importance of winning the moment. I dislike comparison of players from different eras purely in stats - things have changed. Warne and MacGill were very different bowlers, but if MacGill was better than Warne he would have played instead of him. If Kallis was better than Sobers then I'm not here and if Viv Richards played in today's day and age he would destroy attacks at will.

people always remember / rate players more favorably from their youth.

the same will happen for the 80s/90s born people in 20-30 years time when the current batch of international cricketers are long gone

people always remember / rate players more favorably from their youth.

the same will happen for the 80s/90s born people in 20-30 years time when the current batch of international cricketers are long gone

I think this is a fair point, to a degree. I was in my early 20s when World Series Cricket evolved. I think it is fair to say, if they tried a similar project today, the talent pool of world cricketers would be a little shallow. I don't think anyone can justifiably deny the late 70s was the greatest era in history when it came to the number of superstars playing the game at the one time.

However, it is interesting to note that although that era remains my favourite, when I pen a team of the greatest players I've ever seen, then a number of them would have played when I was in my 40s or 50s. For instance, Warne's the greatest leggie I've seen, Brian Lara is the second best batsman I've ever seen, etc. Gilchrist is as good a striker of the ball as I've ever seen, and I doubt there's ever been a bowler able to pressure batsmen with accuracy like McGrath. It is possible for us "oldies" to watch a contemporary player and rate him very highly indeed.

Besides, being rated as "not as good as Viv Richards" isn't all that bad is it? I wish I were good enough to be compared with Richards :)

Too many people focus on the stats of cricket and fail to understand the importance of winning the moment. I dislike comparison of players from different eras purely in stats - things have changed. Warne and MacGill were very different bowlers, but if MacGill was better than Warne he would have played instead of him. If Kallis was better than Sobers then I'm not here and if Viv Richards played in today's day and age he would destroy attacks at will.

Agreed. Cricket is a statistical game, but to compare players of different eras simply with stats would be pure folly. As you said, anyone who even considers that Kallis was a better player than Sobers obviously never saw Sobers play. Sobers was as much a freak as an all-rounder as Warne was as a leg spinner. Anyone who saw Richards smash some of the greatest bowlers of all time in World Series cricket will never forget it. He was great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back