Debutant
Apr 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Ari Vatanen
Last edited:
Great article by Luke Ablett, interesting that Stuart Maxfield kicked off a lot of the "culture" at the Swans. Would things have been different if he stayed at the tigers? Could have he done the same for us? All a mute point now but shows he was a big loss.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...ney-swans-built-the-bloods-culture?CMP=twt_gu

Was a huge loss and is the main reason I will never, ever forgive the AFL. They lifted sydney with locket and maxfield at the expense of our future.

Was a huge loss and is the main reason I will never, ever forgive the AFL. They lifted sydney with locket and maxfield at the expense of our future.

still remember that - Lockett heading to Richmond, then.......

Yeah I remember it hurting a lot at the time, he was one a the few players we had that would actually run through a pack. The AFL have really shafted us over the years.

AFL steps in and makes him go to Sydney. We even had a heads of agreement locked in with Tony as well. **** I hate them
Imagine what that would of been like, Richo roaming around half forward without 3 or 4 blokes hanging off him and Lockett out of the square.

This thread is reminding me of things ive payed thousands upon thousands of $$$ to drink and forget, makes me want to go hide under my doona with my 1980 premiership poster and the game on loop on the telly till the pain goes away again. Thanks for the memories OP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great article by Luke Ablett, interesting that Stuart Maxfield kicked off a lot of the "culture" at the Swans. Would things have been different if he stayed at the tigers? Could have he done the same for us? All a mute point now but shows he was a big loss.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...ney-swans-built-the-bloods-culture?CMP=twt_gu
Apologies again for being spelling police. Same mistake in another thread. The word is moot unless you meant no one heard it.

Who do you rate as the biggest losses our club has had as a result of what they did at their next club....

it might be roughly along the lines of.....

David Cloke - top player for Collingwood. Copeland.
Brad Ottens - critical to premiership - probably should be above Cloke.
Graham Teasdale - Brownlow
Craig Lambert - ball magnet
Stuart Maxfield - mentioned in this thread.
Shultz - couldnt bring him along like Port did.
Whale Roberts - before my time but apparently heart and soul of place.
Geoffrey Raines - big loss for us but didnt do alot at Collingwood,Essendon or Brisbane.
Peter Wilson - premiership player.
Rodan - good player for Port.
Barry Young - good solid player
Andrew Raines - meh
Ty Zantuck - meh

Yer....lol "Culture" :thumbsu: They got over the line in those 2 grand finals because of the extra 10% effort they put it....Yup!! Dat culture!! Woweee. Isn't the extra 10% player payments, isn't the extra ambassadors and whatever else the AFL sneaks them. What a load of crap. Geelong and Hawthorn have "Culture". Sydney have their hands in the AFL's pocket as simple as that, a good culture sure...But it's only the combination of the 2 that yields them success and they in now way have a better culture than those others mentioned. I'm not in Australia at the moment and bloody glad that I'm not around to hear the same old crap. Give us a spell.

add Craig Lambert to that list, lump him in there with Maxfield..

In 1990 you had the SOS campaign. You told all the players that money was tight and they had to take pay cuts. By 1993 they were still being told the club was in debt and they had to accept that money was tight. Then you announce that you have all the money in the world for Lockett. Lambert, Hogg and others cut-up rough and those two leave at the end of 93. Lambert had been offered as straight swap for Broderick and decided to do his own thing.

The trade for Lockett doesn't go through at the end of 93 because you couldn't organise a trade; You went back at the end of 94 and offered "Wayne Campbell and 4 duds". In the end the deal with the Swans got them players and picks that translated to Joel Smith, Darryl Wakelin, Robbie Neill, Josh Kitchen, Glen Nugent and Chris Hemley.

With Mal Brown forcing John Northey out of the club at the end of 95, and the above chaos, it is probably not such a surprise that Maxfield (and Chris Naish) tried to get to Sydney.

Apologies again for being spelling police. Same mistake in another thread. The word is moot unless you meant no one heard it.
You sound like a bit of a pedant - just like me! :D
Moot point always gets me as do:
"For all intensive purposes" instead of the correct "for all intents and purposes"
&
"It all goes well for the future" instead of the correct "it augurs well for the future"

I'm such a w***er... :oops:

In 1990 you had the SOS campaign. You told all the players that money was tight and they had to take pay cuts. By 1993 they were still being told the club was in debt and they had to accept that money was tight. Then you announce that you have all the money in the world for Lockett. Lambert, Hogg and others cut-up rough and those two leave at the end of 93. Lambert had been offered as straight swap for Broderick and decided to do his own thing.

The trade for Lockett doesn't go through at the end of 93 because you couldn't organise a trade; You went back at the end of 94 and offered "Wayne Campbell and 4 duds". In the end the deal with the Swans got them players and picks that translated to Joel Smith, Darryl Wakelin, Robbie Neill, Josh Kitchen, Glen Nugent and Chris Hemley.

With Mal Brown forcing John Northey out of the club at the end of 95, and the above chaos, it is probably not such a surprise that Maxfield (and Chris Naish) tried to get to Sydney.
you do realise its 1095 days between 90 & 93 right? thats alot of time to raise funding bud. even today on money flush teams players are asked to take cuts for a big name signing sooooooo whats your point?

The point is that Lambert and Hogg left because they thought they had been dudded.
And the point is we think there sooks for that as asking players to take cuts to improve the roster is common place practice, and really who in the world would have wanted tony locket and richo up forward to WIN games, so dudded poor them. pfffft piss off back to your crappy orange board would you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back