Studying Techniques

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You people exercise too much. You only have so many heartbeats before the thing stops working, you know! :p

I've just started uni as a mature age student and had to figure out how I best study / learn too. I'm a bit lucky to be able to retain info pretty easily, but still found it best to figure out my 'style' of learning to make sure I don't short-change myself.

So basically, my advice is to figure out how you best retain information (since that's the most important part of school/uni - critically analysing concepts can't be done unless you 'know' them) and then make a plan around that. For me, I have found that a continuous cycle of taking notes during lectures and then just doing a quick read over them a little while later means I retain the vast majority of info and I'm good to go.

Whatever way you find best for retaining info, be deliberate about doing that every time you sit down to study and you will probably set yourself up for the best result and minimal stress. :thumbsu:
After a few different methods I've come down to

1. Pre read lecture slides if available, no more than 30 minutes, just to get a grasp
2. Watch lectures online, and convert important bits to a single word file on the day or as soon as possible. making full use of styles.
3. at the end of the week revise lecture material.
4. When doing assignments etc, you have a single file to work from
5. can revise effectively for exams

I think I posted earlier, but 30 minute timed blocks with increasing breaks throughout the day.

Last semester I tried to do all of this in the last two weeks, I aced both exams, but struggled throughout the semester.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2012
Lowry Hotel
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man United, Victory
when i have to cram, i have a choice to read the textbook readings or watch the lectures. i make myself watch all the lectures at 1.5x playback speed and finish them in 2 days. i don't why but i seem to work the hardest in those 2 days, then have a realisation that i could've done so much better if i'd started earlier. i usually get a CR but sometimes a D.

Can anyone give advice on how to start studying earlier?

Resistor

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2012
Fly on the wall
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
they don't fear; Dallas Mavericks
when i have to cram, i have a choice to read the textbook readings or watch the lectures. i make myself watch all the lectures at 1.5x playback speed and finish them in 2 days. i don't why but i seem to work the hardest in those 2 days, then have a realisation that i could've done so much better if i'd started earlier. i usually get a CR but sometimes a D.

Can anyone give advice on how to start studying earlier?
Are you content with the CR and Ds? If yes, then don't change, because it is working for you. I'm the same, I just study in SwotVac for my 4 exams and get passes and credits. Those marks are totally fine with me

Cristiano Ronaldo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2012
Lowry Hotel
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man United, Victory
Are you content with the CR and Ds? If yes, then don't change, because it is working for you. I'm the same, I just study in SwotVac for my 4 exams and get passes and credits. Those marks are totally fine with me
i would like a HD once in a while i guess. It's just the motivation that is lacking for the exams, which makes me feel bad. But it's the same story every year, i just leave it to the last minute for some reason, even though i want to get a good grade :mad:

I usually study hard early and build on a score so you don't need to give a crap about the exams
Yeah my assignments are good usually and maybe i just think "**** the exam, i'm going to pass anyway"

Resistor

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2012
Fly on the wall
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
they don't fear; Dallas Mavericks
Heading into Uni I would never of thought that I would have left it to Swotvac. I dunno, it just seems to work for me. I could study hard throughout the semester, but I know there will always be mates that are smarter than me, no matter whether I study a day or three months. So I accept that I'll be a CR student and accept those.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2012
Lowry Hotel
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man United, Victory
You're lucky you have Swotvac, we used to have it but it's been straight onto exams after the last week of classes for us, since last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back