Stuff you've always wondered

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Similar to The Questions Thread, here's a place to post stuff that you've always pondered, and see if anyone from the Bigfooty crew can answer you.

Something I've always wondered is, what does Melbourne look like on Grand Final day? As in, the CBD? Would it be deathly quiet, with most of the population either at the ground, inside pubs or at home watching the game? Would never be able to experience this as I would be at home watching the match.

On a similar vein, I've always wondered how many people were lining up to get something to eat or going to the toilet when Brendon Goddard took that mark in the 2010 Grand Final, or when the siren went for the draw. Was every single person in their seats at that moment, captivated by the game?

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Another, what do they do during the breaks of TV shows like The Footy Show, Hot Seat etc?

been on the footy show and deal or no deal

footy show has a comedian (the guy that always whistles when the teams come up) who talks to the crowd/gets them laughing and fires them up to cheer when they come back on. Meanwhile the hosts get their makeup done by a different makeup girl each as they sit in their chairs on stage

At the end of the show Gary, Brayshaw and Sam come out and do a bit of a Q&A with the audiance and a laugh

On deal or not deal the same type of comedian, and though it isnt live they still had breaks and Andrew would get his makeup done. Dont think they were timed to the commercial break length, but each break they had a pause where he did makeup and the contestant would have a drink, while the comedian spoke to the audience and I think gave away $50 prizes or something for answering questions. They filmed all 5 eps in the day for the week, and after each ep they had to do re-takes of people opening cases that the cameras didnt get properly, so we all had to act surprised etc if they guessed the right number etc

So Id assume all shows have some type of 'break host' to keep the audience in a good mood and entertained when the shows on break

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If you have been charged with a crime, do you tell your lawyer whether you actually did it

this is interesting. I guess it depends on if you want to fight it.

for example is its a murder and the evidence is suss, it may be a dont ask/dont tell if you want to fight it, it will be about whether or not you can win the case. If its obvious you'd done it, the lawyer would probably push you towards taking a plea. A lawyer wouldnt help you create alibis etc, you'll have lie about all of that stuff to him even though it may be clear as day you're lying, you've just got to give him a story that he can run with and he'll tell you if it'll work of if you should plead guilty.

On the same note, if you said you did it but he said theres a good chance you can get off I think they would tell you that as well.

Who was the first person to pluck a potato out of the ground and decide it was a good idea to eat it

And then who was the genius that decided to turn them into chips

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
This one is probably answerable, I'm just lazy...

If you take a deciduous tree out of North America and transplant it in a comparable part of Australia, will it lose its leaves in Autumn or Spring? How does it know if the seasons are reversed?

Pollination from bees I'm guessing has something to do with it. This happens in spring so it sets up the cycle for the rest of its life. Weather conditions also influence things. Spring = some moisture content in ground + sun = photosynthesis. Winter = no sun, heat of summer = no moisture = no follage or death.

Last edited:
Back