Stuff you've always wondered

Remove this Banner Ad

I think many great sportsmen have a real issue retiring at the right time though. Not sure about Lleyton as I don't follow tennis really closely.

Many just don't want to accept that they're not that prime 25 year old anymore who could get it done regularly.

Look at Michael Jordan, game winning jumpshot to win his sixth title in his final season with the Bulls. Picturesque scene, couldn't probably write an ending better but his competitive itch brought him out of retirement.

but my point is, who are the people on the couches to tell them when to retire from their job?

The attitude is once you've past your best you should stop earning a living out of respect to the fans or something, like its insulting to us to not be as good as you once were.

Any person who makes the second round of a grand slam is quite obviously well up to the required standard, so why are people telling him to give it up?

but my point is, who are the people on the couches to tell them when to retire from their job?

The attitude is once you've past your best you should stop earning a living out of respect to the fans or something, like its insulting to us to not be as good as you once were.

Any person who makes the second round of a grand slam is quite obviously well up to the required standard, so why are people telling him to give it up?
I think his point was that he hasn't really got anywhere since 2009 which is true.

I don't think you can just expect him to retire though. Although I thought he should've probably called it a day after that epic(against Novak I think it was?).

I guess with tennis though you can be selfish. Team sports are different. I don't like when older players continue to earn fat checks while clearly in decline, while taking a chance from a youngster or hindering his team.

I think his point was that he hasn't really got anywhere since 2009 which is true.

I don't think you can just expect him to retire though. Although I thought he should've probably called it a day after that epic(against Novak I think it was?).

I guess with tennis though you can be selfish. Team sports are different. I don't like when older players continue to earn fat checks while clearly in decline, while taking a chance from a youngster or hindering his team.

Yeah he probably hasnt, but again thats not really the point. Hes still performing to the standard required at the top level, so why is it not his business to be there?

Majority of sportsmen will spend a great deal of their career in decline of their peak, its the nature of the human body and the sports we play.

If a team player is hindering the team then its on the coaching staff who are responsible for the health and success of the team to move that player on and pick someone better.

Although I thought he should've probably called it a day after that epic(against Novak I think it was?).

But why should he retire? I just dont understand this mindset. There are X amount of players playing tennis and Grand Slams are reserved for those that are in the top bracket, good enough to qualify based on world rankings. Hewitt is beating hundreds if not thousands of the worlds top players to get a spot in these events, its mind boggling for some to say he shouldnt be doing it because hes ageing.

Shouldnt it be further celebrated that he could compete as he gets older?

People who work weekends and public holidays. How and why do you do it? Cant think of anything worse...

Probably because it's generally double pay on public holidays. Can't work out why people would work on weekends though, it's called a 'weekend' for a reason, the end of the working week. (unless you're a sportsmen I suppose)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. That's why we are wondering it....

Tbh I've never pondered the thought until now!

there are catchers and thowers in the gay world, so it would depend on where you stand (or lay)

but when you get horny do you desire to park your car in the garage, or do you just desire to nut? Its the same thing I reckon, its about the ends.

I think many great sportsmen have a real issue retiring at the right time though. Not sure about Lleyton as I don't follow tennis really closely.

Many just don't want to accept that they're not that prime 25 year old anymore who could get it done regularly.

Look at Michael Jordan, game winning jumpshot to win his sixth title in his final season with the Bulls. Picturesque scene, couldn't probably write an ending better but his competitive itch brought him out of retirement.

I remember seeing Jordan asked about that. He was downright dismissive. "That was your ending, not mine."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back