Stuff you've always wondered

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, what I'm getting at is compulsory work if you want your benefits.
What about a two tiered system, on the dole doing nothing, get a very basic dole payment and if you volunteer for at least 15 hours a week with a reputable not for profit organisation learning real life skills, then you get an incentive payment - you choose the organisation, you are responsible for them signing off that you are doing it reducing red tape.

Win win, NFP's benefit, the unemployed learn skills and the Govt don't have to spend millions employing people to manage work for the dole participants.

That way those that actually making an effort get incentivised.

Carrots often work better than sticks

What about a two tiered system, on the dole doing nothing, get a very basic dole payment and if you volunteer for at least 15 hours a week with a reputable not for profit organisation learning real life skills, then you get an incentive payment - you choose the organisation, you are responsible for them signing off that you are doing it reducing red tape.

Win win, NFP's benefit, the unemployed learn skills and the Govt don't have to spend millions employing people to manage work for the dole participants.

That way those that actually making an effort get incentivised.

Carrots often work better than sticks

What I don't get with the "work for the dole" thing is why they can't actually use that sort of system to better help the unemployed find a proper job (I'm not just talking that useless, underfunded middlemannery that is the existing employment agency set-up, either), instead of a temporary "volunteer" position.

For those interested in this 4 Corners on Monday may answer some questions.
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2015/02/19/4183437.htm
Unemployment in Australia is at its highest in 12 years. The Government's solution is an innovative billion-dollar scheme called Jobs Services Australia. But the initiative is failing.

Now, a Four Corners investigation shows how the scheme is being manipulated and, at times, systematically exploited. Reporter Linton Besser reveals the corruption at the heart of the program aimed at helping some of this country's most vulnerable people.

He travels to suburbs where unemployment is a way of life. He meets Kym, struggling to find work and pull her daughter out of a cycle of poverty.

There to help are private and not-for-profit job agencies, paid by the Government to help find work for Kym and others like her. These agencies have blossomed thanks to the privatisation of the Commonwealth Employment Service in 1998, and are thriving on contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Unemployment is now big business in Australia. Each year the Government spends about $1.3 billion on its welfare to work scheme.

But what happens when there are simply not enough jobs to go around?

What Four Corners discovers is a system open to abuse where the unemployed have become a commodity. Some agencies bend the rules, others break them.

"I would say about 80 percent of claims that come through have some sort of manipulation on them." - Agency whistleblower

Four Corners goes inside the industry, finding shocking evidence of fraud, manipulation, falsified paperwork, and the recycling of the unemployed through temporary jobs.

Hours are bumped up, wages are inflated, and in many cases, vital evidence to support claims from the taxpayer appears to have been falsified. One former jobseeker tells Four Corners her paperwork appears to have been completely forged.

In recent years Government checks have forced some companies to pay back millions of dollars, but few are sanctioned. Former job agency employees say crucial internal records are adjusted in preparation for government audits.

"That, I guess, caused alarm bells for me... Claims that have been claimed, signatures that weren't on them, and we were sort of told, you know, if the signature's not on it, get it any way that you can." - Former job agency employee

As the nation grapples with rising unemployment, Four Corners raises uncomfortable questions about the charities and profit-takers making a buck from Australia's jobless.

Because it is so complex and costly, to have people find them job placements, manage their attendance and perfomance etc

The fact is that a large number of people on the dole do want to work, but there are a lot that never will, even if they supposedly have to to get the dole, they will just play the system, get sacked, go and get sick certificates etc cause more problems and cost more money than they are worth.

That is why I think leave them to it, there will always be a certain number of unemployed, but make the payment for those making an effort a bit more.

I think on flat surfaces the horizon is 5km away, after that the curvature of the Earth kicks in and they disappear.
Good going. I thought it would have been way longer than that.

According to wiki 4.7km at 1.70m, 5.0km at 2.00m, and 36km at 100m, and 103km at 828m (height of the Burj Khalifa)

Good going. I thought it would have been way longer than that.

According to wiki 4.7km at 1.70m, 5.0km at 2.00m, and 36km at 100m, and 103km at 828m (height of the Burj Khalifa)

Follow up - if I was on an infinitely tall building - how far does my optical system actually allow me to 'see'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why people feel the need to tell everyone they've given blood on FB.

Yes, it's a good thing, but you don't need to let the world know.
To be fair, that's the reason 50% of people give blood...

The streets around me are named after mountains.Other streets in a different part of my suburb are named after American & Canadian areas [Canadian Dr,Michigan Ave,Detroit Cres....etc].You often get areas of streets named after birds.I think there's a big area in Hoppers Crossing that has this that people refer to as 'Birdsville'

Yes there is but it's more famous for being an absolute hole

I lived in a different area of hoppers where all streets were named after golfers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back