Stupid Q(?): Do players get paid for playing in finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFLPA basically run the game now, if the players weren't getting paid for finals there wouldn't be any finals

Does beg the question - if a club was really stretched in terms of a salary cap and a best 22 player was one game short of triggering a contract clause that would boost his wage and put your club over the salary cap - do you play him in the final?

I imagine that no list manager would be that incompetent but hypothetically what if it did happen?

After reading the Danny Frawley story about the 2002 Tigers, I'm not so sure.

After reading the Danny Frawley story about the 2002 Tigers, I'm not so sure.

In state cricket, the state teams can pick non-contracted players from grade cricket.

But if they play a certain number of games for their state they automatically trigger a contract (CA has a similar thing with national contracts).

I've definitely heard talk that many of the states have dropped/rested players at the end of the state to avoid them triggering automatic contracts.

But wouldn't that create major salary cap problems (if it's in the contracts between club and player)? I'm sure Hawthorn was close to 100% of the cap to begin the year (irrespective of ultimate performance), so big bonuses like that would push the team over 100%?
It has done in the past. I think Geelong (and no doubt others) went over the cap at some stage because of unexpected finals appearances. Its another reason to lower the cap floor, IMO, to leave more room for incentives in contracts - whether that be finals based or individual.

Great question by the OP!

I have no idea like everyone posting here, but I would be suprised if players in a finals don't receive payments for finals appearences outside of the salary cap. These players put on the highest grossing performances of the year, and deserve to be compensated as such. And given the power of the AFLPA, it would be very suprising if they weren't.

I agree though that this, if true, works to offset equalisation. $20k give or take (?) per finals appearence is a nice carrot to the throw to a player for the top teams.

The AFLPA would be fighting for double time and a half for Queens Bday / Anzac day games...

People really need to get onto the AFL policies, including the EBA. They're a good read if you have insomnia.

So as you all know, players get a set base contract $ amount, which is payable no matter how many games you play, plus a match payment, which is payable for every game including finals. However, those match payments for finals are not included in a club's total player payments for the year. So there's no salary cap worries if you play too many games. And the match payments have to be the same amount for finals as for the normal season.

10. Total Player Payments
(b) In calculation of the Total Player Payments for each AFL Club, the following payments will not be taken into account:
(viii) Match payments (at the Player’s contract rate for Matches played in the AFL Premiership Season) made to AFL Players participating in the AFL Finals Series Matches

And before anyone else asks, the prize money for teams in the finals isn't included in the TPP either.

People really need to get onto the AFL policies, including the EBA. They're a good read if you have insomnia.

So as you all know, players get a set base contract $ amount, which is payable no matter how many games you play, plus a match payment, which is payable for every game including finals. However, those match payments for finals are not included in a club's total player payments for the year. So there's no salary cap worries if you play too many games. And the match payments have to be the same amount for finals as for the normal season.

And before anyone else asks, the prize money for teams in the finals isn't included in the TPP either.
The EBA doesn't answer all questions. For instance, players named in a grand final lineup but don't play, i.e. Luke Shuey and Sharrod Wellingham.

I know an umpire and he said back in 2010 when i last spoke to him that he got 25k a final and 50K for the GF which he got twice because of the draw.. so surely players would get paid pretty well for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a good question and I have no actual answer for it. However I assume there would be procedures in place which would negate the issue. Extra cap for teams in finals maybe? I dunno?

the cap is raised for the finals.

If you look at salary cap spend analysis the teams who make the GF are allowed to spend slightly more on their players

ie: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-paid-175m-more-than-havenots-20130315-2g69y.html
doesn't include finals since it is a seperate allowance.
if it was outside the cap you'd just load players up
if it was inside the cap you'd have people being held back otherwise a salary breach.

the answer is they get extra $$$.

Do players just get 300k in one lump payment

Or do they get pay day weekly etc?

We gave Travis Johnstone several years up front and he gambled it all away :p

I'm pretty sure player incentives aren't considered part of the salary cap.

Most players I imagine are on performance-based initiative schemes: you get a base salary, plus a fixed amount for every match played, plus a certain amount for certain goals.

Like, for a forward, they might get an extra $500 per goal on top of their match payment and weekly salary.

I would think that playing finals would also equate to an incentivised payment, although it would differ from player to play, team to team.

Cheers mate, very helpful

We need a thread for footy questions like this somewhere. I always have a few during the year but never know where to ask them.
Agreed. looks like this is the thread.

So here's my stupid question (it's a hypothetical question).
If another game in the future gets cancelled like Crows v Cats and a player is going into that game with a suspension does that game count towards his suspension? My opinion is that it definitely should.

Agreed. looks like this is the thread.

So here's my stupid question (it's a hypothetical question).
If another game in the future gets cancelled like Crows v Cats and a player is going into that game with a suspension does that game count towards his suspension? My opinion is that it definitely should.

Good question. I would think no, as the game wasn't officially played, therefore he didn't miss a game.

Interesting though

They should all just play for the love of the game.

It's not 1978 any more mate. If you have to play elite AFL for up to 4 weeks longer than usual; you'd be incurring costs and want to be remunerated for it; especially when you see the financial gains made by all people/parties involved in a final series. Also, player managers would be paid less and wouldn't be excited by this.

I thought most players got paid a salary. I doubt Hodge, Pendles, Ablett etc would get match payments. I mean, they are supposed to play every game. I would have though only the lessor lights/rookies etc would get match payments. Might be wrong though.

I don't know how it works exactly, but players invariably get their contract value whether it's injury payments, match payments, whatever.

I think it was Freo in the early 2000s who had a shocker of a year and ended up over the salary cap because they had to pay so many injured players who weren't playing, plus match payments to those who were.

If players on big money were paid per game and missed big chunks of the season clubs would end up under the minimum TPP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back