Subiaco Food-Pricing Farce!

Remove this Banner Ad

Pack your own...

That's exactly what I'll be doing mate.

The price for water alone should be attracting the attention of the ACCC. $4.70 for a bottle, $3.00 at MCG....while it's 24 bottles at Coles for $8.00 (and Coles still makes a profit on the $8).

Its criminal.

Water has to be provided for free at all of the bars of Subiaco Oval. There is no reason for anyone to pay for water while watching the footy. You just have to pour it into plastic cups.
Make sure all there youngsters bring their fake ID for that water

You don't need ID to ask for water

And nobody under the age of 40 goes to Eagles games anyway
Before I was 18 I was knocked back for buying a pie at a bar at the footy.

Any shop that tries to sell water for over $4 a bottle deserves to be fined. Absolute disgrace.
It's not even that uncommon over here.

More perspective, it's not completely out of the ordinary that a steak would cost $30 plus.

Pretty sure last game I went and didn't pack food, I'd wondered where $80 I brought with me had gone so quick. It was all on food. I didn't even grab a beer. Mind you the burger was pretty damn good, but still.. :eek:

Last edited:
My understanding is that Spotless Catering provides the 'fast food' options at both the MCG and Subiaco.

Your understanding is incorrect.

Subiaco, like Etihad and the SCG has its catering done by Delaware North.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25173639/new-twist-on-footy-fare/

MCG - Epicure. (Spotless)
Etihad - Delaware North
Subiaco - Delaware North
SCG - Delaware North
WACA - Delaware North
Kardinia Park - Michael Obrien Catering
Carrara - Micheal Obrien Catering
Gabba - Micheal Obrien Catering

it doesnt bode well for cheaper prices at Etihad. Spotless/Epircure had indicated that they were going to try for similar deals at all their stadiums - Suncorp already declined that.

Last edited:
Man you have my sympathy.
Not only do you have to live in WA but you have to pay $12 for a footy standard burger.
Move to Vic. Burgers are only about $8.....albeit they are shite:D

The money we'd save on hot chips and burgers wouldn't make up for the money we'd spend on umbrella's, raincoats and flu vaccinations. A few of us drilling and mining guys take our own lunch, albeit we are in private helicopters hovering above the ground during game day. Anyways gotta go back to the beach, if I could only find my pilot.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine there's better economies of scale at the MCG. We only have one game a week here though it'd be fairly reliable, 30-40k attendence every week.

This imo is just good old fashioned gouging

Yes processed food is a premium in wa because of the cost of transport and smaller dc arrangements, but not to this degree

Your understanding is incorrect.

Subiaco, like Etihad and the SCG has its catering done by Delaware North.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25173639/new-twist-on-footy-fare/

MCG - Epicure. (Spotless)
Etihad - Delaware North
Subiaco - Delaware North
SCG - Delaware North
WACA - Delaware North
Kardinia Park - Michael Obrien Catering
Carrara - Micheal Obrien Catering
Gabba - Micheal Obrien Catering

it doesnt bode well for cheaper prices at Etihad. Spotless/Epircure had indicated that they were going to try for similar deals at all their stadiums - Suncorp already declined that.

So does this mean Spotless were denied the catering contract at Subi for 2015 then? All the food stalls last year had the Spotless Catering logo clearly marked. It's interesting to read in your link that Delaware also has the contract for MetLife stadium in NewYork. I've been to MetLife and the pricing is more than fair, compared to Subiaco.

Either way, the AFL should have control of this by setting a a standard on all food prices across its venues. The fact that prices differ hugely for the same products across venues is an embarrassment.

Why is anyone paying $4.70 for water? Fill a bottle up with water from your tap at home. It's better for the environment and you don't have to pay through the nose for ******* water.

I think it's for people that forgot their water... I prefer to cup my hands under the tap in the men's room and scoop the water up, thanks very much.

I think it's for people that forgot their water... I prefer to cup my hands under the tap in the men's room and scoop the water up, thanks very much.

If someone forgets their water and has to pay $4.70 for a bottle then that's their problem. I really don't understand why people complain so much about the prices of food and drinks, no one has a gun to their head making them purchase the products.

In winter I go to a rugby match, AFL game, and a VFL game most weekends. If I bought food and drinks at all three games I'd be paying about $50. Whose fault is that? Mine. Which is why I take food to the rugby most weeks, and I eat before/after the VFL.

If someone forgets their water and has to pay $4.70 for a bottle then that's their problem. I really don't understand why people complain so much about the prices of food and drinks, no one has a gun to their head making them purchase the products.

It's modern human nature to complain about s**t all the time.

In winter I go to a rugby match, AFL game, and a VFL game most weekends. If I bought food and drinks at all three games I'd be paying about $50. Whose fault is that? Mine. Which is why I take food to the rugby most weeks, and I eat before/after the VFL.

So price-gouging and inequality don't bother you then?

So price-gouging and inequality don't bother you then?

Why should it bother her? If more people started to bring their own stuff, the caterers might actually figure it out.

And no idea why it needs to be equal. The MCG prices were struck by the MCC, not the AFL. If you want cheaper prices, complain to whoever runs Subi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back