Suggestions to get Pav and the other KF's firing again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 30, 2012
Midnight Sea
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cronulla Sharks
It's no secret - the team need to get the forward line firing again. Big Pav needs to start spurting through the goals. You cannot win a Premiership without a Key Forward(s).. and it's not only Pav either... Tabs, Clarke, Hannath. Any of the big boys that get a run. Solutions?

• More special time with the missus before a match?
  • Grabbing a sack of balls and repetitive set shot practice?
  • All the bio-mechanics sport science stuff?
  • Can you teach an old campaigner like Pav new tricks? or do you let him just get on with?
  • Maybe Zac Clarke could maintain his best effort and not get lazy?
  • Persist with Tabs even if he does slide into poor form?
  • Give Pearce a run up forward when Dawson returns?

All jokes aside, there is no way to win a premiership with the forward line the way it currently is.

Something needs to change, perhaps we need to try other players up front.

Why not barlow? He seems to be struggling with his new position, may as well put him up forward as he can score goals.

Or alternatively I hear cocaine can provide that extra boost!

One solution is to stick with one plan and keep it for 4-8 weeks. Play Tabs, Pav and Clarke together, get them to figure out how to lead and complement each other. One other thing is Mayne/Ballas/Walters. Ballas need to fire and soon as well as Mayne need to be the third forward. Pearce forward won't work instantly (this season..) so that's a long term plan that will need to be tinkered with. This week is perfectly set up for Tabs to get a few marks, kick a couple of goals.

Something needs to change, perhaps we need to try other players up front.

Why not barlow? He seems to be struggling with his new position, may as well put him up forward as he can score goals.

Or alternatively I hear cocaine can provide that extra boost!
Barlow as a forward? No thanks. He is wasted there. We tried that with Crowley, Suban and Palmer of seasons past. Midfielders don't make instantly great forwards.

Play MJ in the forward line on GF day. Best football brain in the team. Will ensure we maintain proper structures up forward. Will not be planned for by opposition. Some remarkably successful historical precedents.

Barlow as a forward? No thanks. He is wasted there. We tried that with Crowley, Suban and Palmer of seasons past. Midfielders don't make instantly great forwards.

But we need a player who can at least compete, which Barlow can. From what I read the 3rd forward role is to essentially bring the ball down, score the occasional goal. And I would say Barlow is a class above Crowley, Suban and Palmer as he can genuinely give it a shot.

What we do know is that Clarke, Tabs and Hannath are not good enough as their level of consistency varies greatly. Against the best teams like Hawks/Swans they will crumble.

One solution is to stick with one plan and keep it for 4-8 weeks. Play Tabs, Pav and Clarke together, get them to figure out how to lead and complement each other. One other thing is Mayne/Ballas/Walters. Ballas need to fire and soon as well as Mayne need to be the third forward. Pearce forward won't work instantly (this season..) so that's a long term plan that will need to be tinkered with. This week is perfectly set up for Tabs to get a few marks, kick a couple of goals.

I don't mind the idea of giving Barlow a run up forward but he seems to be drifting there a bit more this season anyways.
I agree we may need to just set and forget and let them work it out. It's not like we have any alternative options other than maybe young Pearce but perhaps he'd be better off cutting his teeth in the back line.

I really want Clarke to raise his out-put. He could be an absolute beast if he wanted too. We've seen glimpses of it. We really need him to fire up. Same with Tabs - we have to persist. I would like to see them both play against the Hawks next week because they are the yardstick which we need to measure to.

Not sure if the forward line problems are as bad as some seem to think, we at least had it working well somehow the first 8 weeks. I would just chuck Clarke and Tabs back in and ride the bumps for a couple of weeks. Reckon the forward line issues recently are more due to a problem with the delivery from midfield than the personal.

Luckily we have time on our hands to sort it out. Need more from Ballantyne and Mayne. The latter of which needs to become more selfish and learn a snap kick, I noticed in the firdst quarter, Mayne had a golden opportunity to throw it on the boot and snap one from about 35-40m out but chose to hand ball out, it got me thinking, I don't think Mayne has that ability in his game - never seen him snap a goal across his body.

Sydney haven't exactly been kicking premiership winning scores themselves and they have arguably the best forward in the competition.

Watch RTB's latest conference. He see's a problem in our method.

Apparently we are leading over the top of each other too much which brings other defenders too close to the dominant lead.

He believes it hasn't been about personal as the changes made hasn't made a difference.

Also he said that due to the season being so long some areas can waver for periods and need to be brought back up to the level.

These breaks could be pivotal in the scheme of our season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.
So much this.

Tabs was going okay until the Adelaide game.
Even then before it rained Tabs was great in the first half of the first quarter. I think dropping him was an ok decision overall though just to get his confidence up again in WAFL. I think he'll come back into the line-up this week

Had to laugh at the article mentioning. "Get out of Pav's way". "...could show you 10 clips where Pav's got his man beaten and another forward, who should've moved and led hasn't moved and led, and has spoilt Matthew when he's about to take the mark."

I remember someone members mentioning this on a few game reviews. maybe its as simple as leading patterns and forward entries?

Also RTB mentioned that Connor Blakely still has a bit of work to do (before being selected), however apparently suma wanted fyfe forward and Blackley in. Fun times

While there's more to it, Ross isn't wrong in his presser about guys getting ball-hungry and getting in Pav's way instead of leading away. The conditions have also played a part, and I also don't think it's coincidental that Pav's little slump has aligned with the lead-up to his testimonial. I expect to see him kick a bag on Sunday. Him doing so doesn't necessarily solve our forward line issues but I think midfield supply has a lot more to do with it anyway.

I also wondered about his response to the question about putting Fyfe forward and bringing in Connor or the like - he gave the guy a backhanded compliment about his sharp footy analysis, and said Suma had suggested the same thing - I wonder if he was intimating that the guy might have been chatting to Suma? Or was he just being his usual warm self?

Pav had 14 possessions and kicked 2 points plus one dropped short from memory. He kicks 2 or 3 in a low scoring slippery game and there is no issue. In saying that, I agree we need Tabs and Clark in when it is dry.

We have changed method a bit since the start of the season and Im not sure whether that's deliberate or circumstance.

We're playing with the spare back now, and not at the contest

You would assume that's because we are now short a tall at the back and we don't want them to have all one on ones if we lose it in the middle

We need a genuine swingman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back