Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
I'm loving Atleticos signings at the moment. I'd take all of theirs over Liverpools if you look at the money spent from selling Costa over Suarez.

Some clubs are just bigger than others...

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
I'm loving Atleticos signings at the moment. I'd take all of theirs over Liverpools if you look at the money spent from selling Costa over Suarez.

Some clubs are just bigger than others...

They are signing more experienced players, we seem to have an obsession with youth atm. We are the new Arsenal

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
They are signing more experienced players, we seem to have an obsession with youth atm. We are the new Arsenal

I kind of like the way Liverpool are going about it. They're building for a sustained run, not just for a trophy 'now'. I mean, tough league and it might not work out, but I'm starting to dislike your club less and less.

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
I kind of like the way Liverpool are going about it. They're building for a sustained run, not just for a trophy 'now'. I mean, tough league and it might not work out, but I'm starting to dislike your club less and less.

I understand that we need to invest in youth and build for long term particularly with the club not having much success in recent years, but I think we are overdoing it a bit. It's all about a balanced blend of youth and experience, we have splashed most our big money on promising young kids who could still be raw, or mid table players who could be top class but still have the lingering doubt and being a bit overpriced, when we could be buying a proven top class player with that big money instead that would help these kids bed in better without having too much pressure

We need CL football, it's essential for us in order for us to be relevant, but you're basically asking these kids to replace Suarez and do the job. Maybe they'll hit the ground running, maybe they won't, but the risk factor involved is a bit big

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I understand that we need to invest in youth and build for long term particularly with the club not having much success in recent years, but I think we are overdoing it a bit. It's all about a balanced blend of youth and experience, we have splashed most our big money on promising young kids who could still be raw, or mid table players who could be top class but still have the lingering doubt and being a bit overpriced, when we could be buying a proven top class player with that big money instead that would help these kids bed in better without having too much pressure

We need CL football, it's essential for us in order for us to be relevant, but you're basically asking these kids to replace Suarez and do the job. Maybe they'll hit the ground running, maybe they won't, but the risk factor involved is a bit big

Is it looking like you guys are just going to run with Studge to basically play the Suarez role?

Dec 12, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bombers/Liverpool FC
Yeah and he's well capable of doing it, but he often gets injured and misses like 1/4 of the season, so we need another proven striker signed. Lambert is a very different striker to him and I have concerns with him leading the line on his own, and Borini is just not good enough. Remy would've been a very good signing but now it's gonna be a big test for the club on which striker they sign

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.

I dont know about that. We have signed 6 players, Can, Lallana, Lambert, Markovic, Lovren and Origi. Lambert is 32, Lallana 26, Lovren 25. So they are three ready made players to come in and help. Can and Markovic are obviously young. 20 I believe and Origi is 19 but will go back out on loan.

Rodgers though is excellent at bringing out the best in young players and improving them. You look at Henderson, Sterling, Flanagan, Coutinho as examples.

I think we have bought pretty well so far. Still room for that one more big attacking signing that could go some way to replacing Suarez.

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
For f*ck sake., I'm airing some frustration at a player I wanted to play for my club. No need to have a pot shot at me, poor form.
tears are visibly streaming from your face.

Lukaku is gone because you guys didn't want to give him a go and would rather play a finished Torres or bring in old timers like etoo or drogba in to play ahead of a promising young striker that he is lol.

Chelsea can't expand Stamford Bridge due to safety issues, it's why they were looking at the Battersea site for a new stadium but fell through because the Einsatzgruppen Chelsea Pitch Owners retain the rights to the Chelsea FC name, and refused to allow the club to retain the name if it moved away from Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea also tried to buy the freehold rights from them so they could move in the future, but they refused to sell. Chelsea is stuck at Stamford Bridge with an unexpandable capacity for the foreseeable future.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
tears are visibly streaming from your face.

Lukaku is gone because you guys didn't want to give him a go and would rather play a finished Torres or bring in old timers like etoo or drogba in to play ahead of a promising young striker that he is lol.

Great, another keyboard warrior.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
? Its all true mate no point in denying it.

I dont deny it, I agree with you. Im upset at what's happened I think all parties were wrong. Roman, Mourinho and Lukaku. But unfortunately it hasnt worked out and hes gone. The keyboard warrior remark was at your first line haha.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Chelsea can't expand Stamford Bridge due to safety issues, it's why they were looking at the Battersea site for a new stadium but fell through because the Einsatzgruppen Chelsea Pitch Owners retain the rights to the Chelsea FC name, and refused to allow the club to retain the name if it moved away from Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea also tried to buy the freehold rights from them so they could move in the future, but they refused to sell. Chelsea is stuck at Stamford Bridge with an unexpandable capacity for the foreseeable future.
I never knew any of that? What's the deal with the naming rights. That's utterly bizarre?

I never knew any of that? What's the deal with the naming rights. That's utterly bizarre?

Chelsea had to sell the stadium during financial troubles, then the property developers they sold it to went bankrupt, then they were able to wangle it back from the banks. They put the stadium, the land and the club name into a not for profit called the Chelsea Pitch Owners, to protect it from being sold off like that again, and paid a peppercorn rent on a 199 year lease to rent it back. The CPO is also structured to prevent a hostile takeover.

So yeah, the CPO refuses to let the club leave Stamford Bridge while retaining the club name, and the club now has too much brand recognition to easily change names and move to a new stadium. If they did, it'd be an MK Dons situation, only the CPO would be able to grant the Chelsea FC name to a new club becoming the tenant, rather than having to go Chelsea AFC or some such.

The stadium itself is badly hemmed in by roads and rail, and can't add more capacity without breaking the fire code due to limited exits. There was a neat concept that involved the Battersea site, where one of the new grandstands would be built on top of the old Battersea powerstation, which is grade II* listed, and the interior would become a museum. But the CPO got belligerent - if they let Chelsea move they basically lose all of their current power - and a Malaysian developer outbid them for the site anyway.

It's still ongoing, because the Chelsea management is desperate to move to a new stadium with more seats, and infinitely more possible corporate revenue.

(Yes I had to look some of the specifics up, but I did remember a lot of it from when the Battersea stuff was happening)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Yeah you can understand him wanting out. I mean sure he is still young at 21 but plenty of younger players are getting more games at top clubs. Sterling, Coutinho, Flanno are all the same age or younger than Lukaku and are getting plenty of starts at a big club.

Like Azpi, Schurrle, Hazard, Oscar and Salah did last season. Like Zouma, Courtois and Van Ginkel will this season. We play kids as much as any big club in the world.

He would have gotten chances if he wanted to stick around, but for some reason he didn't think he was good enough.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
He needs to be moving somewhere that allows him to start every week anyway, and he is good enough to do so. Not Chelsea's fault, not Lukaku's fault, it just ended up being a bad fit. Lukaku will get his regular football, Chelsea will make a massive profit, both parties will be happy. Chelsea fans mightn't be happy that they're losing a prospect but they can easily just go out and buy another striker

This.

Plus we've got Costa anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo

Don't be so sure. The club is working with the council ATM on expanding the capacity, which will include decking over the railway that SB backs up to. They don't want us to move and are working with us to be able to expand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back