Suns drop three more players for disciplinary reasons

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Ablett is not to militant with his religion. If there was a young player who is an atheist and Ablett was hounding him to pray that would get very annoying very quickly.
And I'd hope there's nobody too militant with their athiesm who feels the need to pipe up and attack others for believing in something.

Ablett, Zac Smith and one other bloke pray before games. Does no harm to anyone.

The players make these rules not the coaches, this isn't under 15s. The players set the standards the players need to abide by the standards and then the players represented by the leadership group will discuss sanction on players who break the standards..... Well this is what should happen as it is what happens at good clubs all the way down to amateurs.

Do you have a link to what Mal said?

I can't remember exactly which article I saw it in, but this one is similar.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-06/suns-vice-captain-malceski-leading-from-the-front/6076610
But Malceski says communication - a key trait in the Swans' legendary Bloods culture - still needs to be improved if they are to be a force in 2015.

He said it was a glaring "unacceptable" habit that he noticed when he hit the Suns' pre-season training track for the first time.

"At Sydney, I was brought straight into a culture where there was things that weren't accepted and things that were accepted, and I've learnt that and it's gone with me through my career," said Malceski, who signed a three-year Suns deal.

"I came here and saw some stuff that I didn't think was acceptable, and Rocket's (coach Rodney Eade) also seen some stuff as well.

He also talks about how they have gotten better since he's been here.
http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2015-04-02/move-providing-extra-spark-for-malceski

And I'd hope there's nobody too militant with their athiesm who feels the need to pipe up and attack others for believing in something.

Ablett, Zac Smith and one other bloke pray before games. Does no harm to anyone.

Depends on if Ablett's religion is getting in the way of him helping improve the Suns culture. Ablett getting special permission to miss training so he can go to Church is not a great example for the younger players.

Depends on if Ablett's religion is getting in the way of him helping improve the Suns culture. Ablett getting special permission to miss training so he can go to Church is not a great example for the younger players.
McKenna said they let players go on leave to go to things like that regularly. I'd suggest the culture is the issue, not Ablett's religion.

If you're perceived as an arrogant dick who can't even obey the most basic of rules that you yourself agreed to, I'm not sure you'd have job offers coming in as readily as you'd expect.
Plenty of arrogant dicks in the AFL do. Can you honestly see Bennell, Matera or Mckenzie being delisted ad not picked up? I can't. I'd take any/all of them at WC.

Plenty of arrogant dicks in the AFL do. Can you honestly see Bennell, Matera or Mckenzie being delisted ad not picked up? I can't. I'd take any/all of them at WC.
Yeah but they'd have to go along with rules like this. It'd be "we think you can play, but pull your head in".

The players made the rules. The players agreed to the rules. Players then broke the rules. Simple.

Ablett was a poor trainer in his early years until he got pulled aside by a few leaders at Geelong and told to lift his game. I think Ling, Scarlett may have been involved.
I remember reading them telling him that he was a very good player who could be an all time great if he pushed himself.

If you can't celebrate a win, what's the point of winning?
Rocket and the club need to extract their heads from their respective arses and realise clubs are built around bravery, comradery and a bit of larrakin behavior.
This idiotic premise that every footy player has to be a tea totaling, moral lighthouse for the rest of society just because they make good coin needs to be belted the damn stamped out of society.

Your workplace turn a blind eye to showing up late or hungover due to a big night on the sauce, does it?

Hardly unreasonable standards to adhere to IMO.

It's this kind of stuff that's holding Bennell in particular back from becoming one of the best players in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your workplace turn a blind eye to showing up late or hungover due to a big night on the sauce, does it?

Hardly unreasonable standards to adhere to IMO.

It's this kind of stuff that's holding Bennell in particular back from becoming one of the best players in the league.
Hangover yes of course if you can still perform your job and nobody notices a difference.

I'm surprised any AFL players drink during the season, to be honest. If my entire career revolved around me being an elite athlete, I wouldn't have a drop.

If you can't celebrate a win, what's the point of winning?
Rocket and the club need to extract their heads from their respective arses and realise clubs are built around bravery, comradery and a bit of larrakin behavior.
This idiotic premise that every footy player has to be a tea totaling, moral lighthouse for the rest of society just because they make good coin needs to be belted the damn stamped out of society.

That's cool mate. You can have your standards and others are welcome to have their own standards. Just like life we can all choose our own rules. It's the players who set the rules, not rocket.

And no one said you can't celebrate a win but to get hammered and then rock up late still under the effects is not ok. The haven't been sacked just dropped.

Because no players in the entire league drink any alcohol throughout the season? Yeah right
Players who agreed to rules stating they wouldn't drink for the following week probably don't, no.

Doesn't he get them all in to pray?

I believe that a small group of the Christian players have a prayer group before a match.

What the &$#% was McKenna doing up there?

At least the Sheedy/Williams combo had some experience (even if they were both past it/ clinically mad).

If the AFL had their time again I reckon they'd have spent more time putting decent people in place at Metricon.
here, here.. Good on Rocket, I hope hes in for the long haul and sorts out the cluster f$$k up north. Whilst most think he was the wrong choice to replace McKenna I beg to differ.. Respect to Eade

And no one said you can't celebrate a win but to get hammered and then rock up late still under the effects is not ok. The haven't been sacked just dropped.

Is there any suggestion this is the case here?

Banning alcohol for the whole season what a joke, nobody could go that long. It's pushing the players into cocaine and also making for bigger binges in the off season when they are finally alowd to drink
Strong post-to-username ratio.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back