Suns drop three more players for disciplinary reasons

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL you're kidding right?
Well, not really. Drinking is so much fun. Beer to a barbeque or being out with mates, a decent wine with good food, champagne with your girlfriend, heavy metal gigs or being polite at a wedding reception. So many cases where it improves your lifestyle significantly...

Unless their drinking actually shows tangible effects on their training and recovery then It's a garbage rule to limit someone just "because" and shows a weakness in their leadership group being unable to trust their own players.

Banning alcohol for the whole season what a joke, nobody could go that long. It's pushing the players into cocaine and also making for bigger binges in the off season when they are finally alowd to drink
How is that a joke? There club is no different to any other work place that dosnt allow alcohol. Ever been to a dry mine site? No drinking there. These players get paid a hell of a lot to play football. They need to keep fit and minimise the risk of injury any way possible, alcohol only increases the risk of injury and slows down there recovery. Im not sure if our club has the same policy, but I'd be happy to support it. As far as nobody being able to go that long without a drink, it's quiet easily done, and if your told your not allowed to drink then it's raven simpler. To accuse the club of 'pushing the players into cocaine' is a bit of a stretch, the players are adults, they can make whatever dumb desicions they want, and if there going to use drugs then I hope they get caught and banned.

If someone is playing a professional sport, say for a random example AFL, part of their recovery schedule wouldnt be a few pints down at the pub. Maybe in the local league, heck maybe back in the 80s. But PROFESSIONAL athletes these days are paid upwards of 1 million a year and their ability to recover from a game and bounce back for another in sometimes less than 7 days is crucial. Drinking alcohol isnt going to help that, and its completely understandable that leadership groups and clubs would stamp it out.

Did I say because I dont drink a beer before getting on the bus to work that NO ONE EVER IN THE HISTORY OF EVER should drink before/after work? No. But in the case of professional athletes, they are taking a risk that puts their careers in danger. Its stupid and shouldnt be something that happens.
Good comments, I don't see what's so hard to understand here, if your told you can not drink, then you don't do it!

Thought he was best on ground last weekend.

Apparently took a delivery of some "home truths" by his peers during the week prior to get Bennell to produce that performance, and then he "turned up to training on Monday smelling of alcohol", according to Caroline Wilson on Footy Classified tonight.

As I said earlier in the thread, it's this kind of s**t that is holding Bennell back from being one of the best players in the league.

Last edited:
How is that a joke? There club is no different to any other work place that dosnt allow alcohol. Ever been to a dry mine site? No drinking there. These players get paid a hell of a lot to play football. They need to keep fit and minimise the risk of injury any way possible, alcohol only increases the risk of injury and slows down there recovery. Im not sure if our club has the same policy, but I'd be happy to support it. As far as nobody being able to go that long without a drink, it's quiet easily done, and if your told your not allowed to drink then it's raven simpler. To accuse the club of 'pushing the players into cocaine' is a bit of a stretch, the players are adults, they can make whatever dumb desicions they want, and if there going to use drugs then I hope they get caught and banned.
Do you not really see the difference between working on a remote and dangerous location in close proximity to others for extended periods, where alcohol abuse would likely tip over into serious issues and footy players having post win celebrations?

Lol. Rocket's stamp at the moment is "set club back 10 years'. Job complete by the way.

A few top class players will be on the march at the end of the year if Rocket gets renewed. Bookmark it

and that's the best thing that could happen at this point, even Ablett should have been shown the door if training standards are rubbish and there's major issues in the playing group........... which there clearly is.

Melbourne and Carlton have shown what happens when you let a culture of laziness and non commitment creep into the team. Clear the rot and start making strides to actually build club ethos up, or in ten years time they would be in the same place they were last season.

Bluey has clearly ****ed things up, allowing blokes to miss training regularly, low training standards, players that don't follow rules and guidelines, rocking up late and hungover. The playing group has clearly had things far to easy and its just crippled the club.

If a few top end players object to being forced to straighten up, then them ******* off only strengthens the club environment as a whole. Success demands hardworks, no amount of raw talent will supplement that. As Ablett has shown, the bloke sweats ability, exhales skill and blinks finesse and not even he could carry them to finals.

One hopes those that can't hack it, pull their heads in when they land at whatever club they head to........... of course it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up at carlton or melbourne where they can continue to be nonchalant about making it as top players. Bludges can usually sniff out a cushy deal.

and that's the best thing that could happen at this point, even Ablett should have been shown the door if training standards are rubbish and there's major issues in the playing group........... which there clearly is.

Melbourne and Carlton have shown what happens when you let a culture of laziness and non commitment creep into the team. Clear the rot and start making strides to actually build club ethos up, or in ten years time they would be in the same place they were last season.

Bluey has clearly stuffed things up, allowing blokes to miss training regularly, low training standards, players that don't follow rules and guidelines, rocking up late and hungover. The playing group has clearly had things far to easy and its just crippled the club.

If a few top end players object to being forced to straighten up, then them ******* off only strengthens the club environment as a whole. Success demands hardworks, no amount of raw talent will supplement that. As Ablett has shown, the bloke sweats ability, exhales skill and blinks finesse and not even he could carry them to finals.

One hopes those that can't hack it, pull their heads in when they land at whatever club they head to........... of course it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up at carlton or melbourne where they can continue to be nonchalant about making it as top players. Bludges can usually sniff out a cushy deal.
Exactly this. Cleary something has been rotten at my club. I'm glad it is finally getting addressed. And if players don't want to buy into that... Well then we have a problem.

Well, not really. Drinking is so much fun. Beer to a barbeque or being out with mates, a decent wine with good food, champagne with your girlfriend, heavy metal gigs or being polite at a wedding reception. So many cases where it improves your lifestyle significantly...
If the mere idea of giving up drinking for even a short period is so incomprehensible to you, seek help.

If the mere idea of giving up drinking for even a short period is so incomprehensible to you, seek help.
He'll want to get in the queue behind me. Numbers are up in the 'like an occasional beer and BBQ' anonymous :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can just tell Rockets come in and rustled the feathers of some players who probably did have it pretty good.
Cough Ablett Cough.

LOL at Matthew Lloyd on Footy Classified saying that if he was offered Bennell right now that he'd decline due to his attitude. 17 other teams would disagree.
Maybe, maybe not.

Lloyd wouldn't be making that comment on the basis of him just having a drink on a Sunday.

There's a lot going unsaid about the Suns at the moment.

Cough Ablett Cough.

not really abletts fault, He could take an entire season off and still be a walk up start at 13 clubs as a bare minimum. Ablett doesn't have to train as hard to be that good. the coach should know this and push him and the group harder.

If you leave him to set the pace he can just train averagely and still be the best player in the league. Its why having a coach that can crack the whip is so important.

instead Bluey let blokes skip practice to go to church or remain in WA for 3-4 days after a match instead of heading back as a unit, allowing blokes to go hangout with relo's rather then actually be at training like they were being paid to do.

the lax rules in place didn't work, not only did they see no greater player retention, its ****ed up the environment. mckenna should never get another head coach role ever.

So it's Ablett's fault these guys agreed not to drink and then did so?
No, but it says a lot about his leadership that it reportedly took Rischitelli to make a stand - which assistant coach Dean Solomon was so very pleased by.

Name the others of the last 20 years besides the Eagles?

And that Eagles side were experienced players who got up to trouble in their own time and kept it under wraps for a long time. When it started to get out they tumbled down the ladder.
Insert injuction here

No, but it says a lot about his leadership that it reportedly took Rischitelli to make a stand - which assistant coach Dean Solomon was so very pleased by.
Well the amount of stuff he's allowed to get away with, you'd be bemused if he gave you a lecture.

Back on McKenna, what was his CV again?

Player, assistant coach at Collingwood for 5 years?

Tell me the bloke had more experience than that before being chosen to lead a 50 million organisation.

Must have passed over a few more qualified coaches to get to this bloke you'd imagine.

Cough, cough, cough ....................... Claremont coaching stint.

Very under whelming at WAFL level.

Only got the job due to being given a good reference by Grumpy Mick.

How many duds have been gifted jobs because of a dodgy reference by Mick -

Watters
McKenna
Brad Scott (jury still out)

edit - almost forgot the worst of the lot - Neeld!

The bloke he gave a bad reference to, Buckley, is now starting to show he's up to it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back