Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great to see the club supporting Jarad Harbrow in his efforts to help young indigenous football players.

It's great to see the club supporting Jarad Harbrow in his efforts to help young indigenous football players.
The thing you've got to love about Harbrow is his passion for not only Indigenous football but also Queensland football. He genuinely cares about his people and his state. Queensland is about to overtake New South Wales as the state with the most Indigenous residents so the Jarrod Harbrow Leadership academy is a very good idea. You only have to look at a guy like Johnathan Thurston (born in Brisbane) to see the potential of Indigenous Queenslanders.

I get the feeling Jarrod Harbrow will stick around after retirement and continue his work with the Indigenous side of the Gold Coast academy. He may even relocate back to Cairns but I'm sure he'll stay involved like Preston Campbell has for the Titans.

I know this doesn't really affect the Suns as such but if we were to compare an incident like Harley Bennel's with the drugs and Dusty Martins with the chopsticks, from a neutrals perspective what would be deemed as the more "serious" incident?

Hold a grudge much.

Happy to see him leave when he went. Glad we didn't take his brother either. Everytime I have heard him speak he sounds like a complete meat axe.

My thoughts:

1. Take some responsibility for your own performance - he was s**t at the suns (in a young poor performing team he stood out for his very poor performances). A lot of the other players had the same opportunities as you, with the same coach, and made more of it than he did

2. He has a high opinion of his abilities and was not able to back it up - admittedly he is heaps better at the Saints now but how much can he lay at the feet of the Gold Coast and how much can be attributed to lifting his attitude when he has got a second chance.

Sounds like a FIGJAM to me - at least admit you were no good at the suns, apparently he was a gun all along according to him he just didn't bother to grace us with his supposed abilities

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not wrong. Mckenna did not like Mav at all. I think most of us thought that Mav had done enough to get at least a 1 year extension after his last couple of games of the season, especially over some of the guys we kept. He was also rarely given the opportunity (yes he was injured a bit) and when he was picked Mckenna was trying to turn him into a back pocket when he was clearly a midifielder/tagger (a role he is now performing well in at the Saints). I can't blame him for getting sick of the club and wanting out, as he was treated very poorly, although this outburst does seem kind of random and unecessary. It just goes to show how much of a pathetic coach Mckenna was.

At the time he deserved to get delisted , we gave him many years to prove himself but was getting overtaken by a lot of players , injuries did'nt help him either. He has made a name for himself as a tagger , whoop de do , if we still had him he would be in the the same boat as Russell and be a 6th year fringe player playing in the ressies , no big loss.

I know this doesn't really affect the Suns as such but if we were to compare an incident like Harley Bennel's with the drugs and Dusty Martins with the chopsticks, from a neutrals perspective what would be deemed as the more "serious" incident?
Not much to choose between but for mine, the violence 'wins'.

Is anyone surprised at what Mav Weller said?

From the outside I always thought that the club was run professionally and that McKenna was a decent coach.

But the last couple of years has shown that a lot of mistakes were made at the club, it was not being run properly, the sports science was not good enough, and the development and coaching was not good enough.

Players who wanted everything done professionally should have wanted to leave.

The most annoying thing is that I doubt that we got the best out of our 17 year olds and that first draft class.

Anyway, not looking back on the failures anymore, onwards and upwards only.

At the time he deserved to get delisted , we gave him many years to prove himself but was getting overtaken by a lot of players , injuries did'nt help him either. He has made a name for himself as a tagger , whoop de do , if we still had him he would be in the the same boat as Russell and be a 6th year fringe player playing in the ressies , no big loss.
He has played pretty well as a defensive half forward also. Had a similar year/roll to Touk Miller statistically who came 4th in the B&F. So I think he'd be be best 22 fairly comfortably, but he's not a star. He still needs to improve a lot.

I personally don't think Mav would ever get a game for us when we are fit.

His comments are fair but it's evident he rates himself far too highly. He's nowhere near as good as he thinks. He's a dime a dozen inside mid/tagger who can be replaced in an instant. Nothing special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally don't think Mav would ever get a game for us when we are fit.

His comments are fair but it's evident he rates himself far too highly. He's nowhere near as good as he thinks. He's a dime a dozen inside mid/tagger who can be replaced in an instant. Nothing special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back