Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In relation to the high performance staff it comes through in a lot of the interviews that the overwhelming emphasis is on injury prevention, and not to make the team stronger or better endurance athletes across the board. It seems like Cordy has asked the club what their priorities are from a high performance standpoint and the club's football department (i.e Rocket) has prioritized keeping the players on the park first and foremost.

Given how critical this year is to the club and the natural improvement we should get from having our best players on the park and operating under one of the shrewdest coaches in the AFL who has had over a year to bed down his game plan, I will happily trade a bit of extra fitness for having most of our best talent available.

In relation to the high performance staff it comes through in a lot of the interviews that the overwhelming emphasis is on injury prevention, and not to make the team stronger or better endurance athletes across the board. It seems like Cordy has asked the club what their priorities are from a high performance standpoint and the club's football department (i.e Rocket) has prioritized keeping the players on the park first and foremost.

Given how critical this year is to the club and the natural improvement we should get from having our best players on the park and operating under one of the shrewdest coaches in the AFL who has had over a year to bed down his game plan, I will happily trade a bit of extra fitness for having most of our best talent available.

I've heard a few players mention they must work on there power or there endurance.. Or size and strength

So it's not Just prevention :D

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-coast-coach-guy-mckenna-20151212-glm0m1.html

St Kilda stopper Mav Weller backtracks on criticism of former Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna

However speaking later on Saturday at a street Christmas party hosted by St Kilda in Brighton, Weller backtracked on his earlier words. "I was just asked a question - how I felt about my last year at the Gold Coast Suns. I just didn't enjoy it, just because of injury, I was a bit out of form and that sort of stuff. There was nothing spiteful towards Guy.

"I've got the utmost respect for him, and the club as well. They gave me the shot to live my AFL dream and I'm very grateful for that. [The story] was sort of a bit bended, and it is what it is."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-coast-coach-guy-mckenna-20151212-glm0m1.html

St Kilda stopper Mav Weller backtracks on criticism of former Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna

However speaking later on Saturday at a street Christmas party hosted by St Kilda in Brighton, Weller backtracked on his earlier words. "I was just asked a question - how I felt about my last year at the Gold Coast Suns. I just didn't enjoy it, just because of injury, I was a bit out of form and that sort of stuff. There was nothing spiteful towards Guy.

"I've got the utmost respect for him, and the club as well. They gave me the shot to live my AFL dream and I'm very grateful for that. [The story] was sort of a bit bended, and it is what it is."

Hahahaha classic - Maverick by name, Maverick by nature (who calls their kid Maverick - watched too many Top Gun movies in that family - should have just called him Tom, Cruise or more aptly 'Goose' - definitely no 'Ice Man')

Let me translate the above back tracking comments:

I was asked a question and I just answered it honestly, too honestly, and went into unnecessary detail about why I left the Suns and the grudges I hold with the club and the officials at the time. Now I know why you don't take pot shots at your old club because it gets blown up and you burn whatever bridges you have left.

So when I said:

"I was always going to ask for a trade anyway and get out of there because I didn't believe in the club, didn't believe in the coach and just wanted to get out of there to further my footy."

I didn't really mean that I didn't believe in the club, I was just projecting on the club because I know they didn't believe in me because I had an attitude of entitlement, I played outside of team rules and tried to take the game on way too much and cost the team all too often.

Mav, get some media training - you embarassed yourself, your family and the St Kilda FC

I like MAV
Speaks his mind "refreshing"
Unlike most of the footballer drones
However he definitely needs to move on.
He signed a new contract with the saints future is bright for MAV.

I like MAV
Speaks his mind "refreshing"
Unlike most of the footballer drones
However he definitely needs to move on.
He signed a new contract with the saints future is bright for MAV.
I like someone that speaks there mind too, he should of stuck with what he said instead of deciding to back track on what he said.

Thought it was strange when he said this

"I was always going to ask for a trade anyway and get out of there because I didn't believe in the club, didn't believe in the coach and just wanted to get out of there to further my footy."

He was always going to ask for a trade? Why didn't he before we delisted him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like someone that speaks there mind too, he should of stuck with what he said instead of deciding to back track on what he said.
Reporters take things way out of context though to get people clicking on their article. Like Putin says something like "The missile submarines are capable of being fitted with nuclear warheads... Naturally, this is not necessary when fighting terrorists and, I hope, will never be needed". And then Fox news says "PUTIN THREATENS TO NUKE ISIS!". I can see that Mav was just being honest and is probably not the most media savvy with the words he used, then the reporter cuts out all the context and just rolls with the headline "MAV SLAMS SUNS!".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back