Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Source
"I was really frustrated last year, obviously I had the injury, and I wasn't happy with how things were placed in terms of high performance and also our off-field issues.

"I voiced my opinion to our general manager and CEO and those types of guys. Thankfully enough things have got a lot better, I'm really happy with Justin Cordy and our head of rehab Alex Rigby and my physio Lindsay Bull.

"My focus is purely on getting back to playing AFL footy, it's something I'm really hungry to do."

Looks like the rumours were true about O'Meara being a big reason for the overhaul last year. Is it possible that 21-year-old Jaeger O'Meara is basically running the club? Meaning whatever he says goes because he is too valuable to lose? Is he the LeBron James of the AFL in that sense?

Can someone remind me if there were ever rumours about O'Meara not liking McKenna as head coach?

Jaeger was one of five (albeit five very important players) to voice very serious concerns like that. Making him out to be the only one skews him a fair margin.
Now I have context. Do you know who the other four were? I'd imagine Gary was one...

Now I have context. Do you know who the other four were? I'd imagine Gary was one...
Gary wasn't in there. They were all young players AFAIK.

Jaeger, Dion, Dave, Lynch and... someone. I forget. They all said pretty much said 'change the standards or we're out'.

Bluey was sacked not long after and the changes began.

Gary wasn't in there. They were all young players AFAIK.

Jaeger, Dion, Dave, Lynch and... someone. I forget. They all said pretty much said 'change the standards or we're out'.

Bluey was sacked not long after and the changes began.
Interesting. IIRC, Bluey blasted Harbrow after QClash8 and that was the beginning of the end. Is that right or have I missed something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. IIRC, Bluey blasted Harbrow after QClash8 and that was the beginning of the end. Is that right or have I missed something?
That was probably where he really started to lose the players as a whole from my estimations.

Source

Looks like the rumours were true about O'Meara being a big reason for the overhaul last year. Is it possible that 21-year-old Jaeger O'Meara is basically running the club? Meaning whatever he says goes because he is too valuable to lose? Is he the LeBron James of the AFL in that sense?

Can someone remind me if there were ever rumours about O'Meara not liking McKenna as head coach?

I believe Ben Drever was all over this one or so he says. ;)

But lets be honest. The changes to the high performance team needed to happen and if it took Omeara and Swallow etc. complaining to make those changes happen then I am all for them complaining to get 'their way'. So no, we did not make these changes for Omearas sake, but for all the players who were being let down by under performing staff.

And I think Jaeger was one who wasn't happy with Blueys coaching style and lack of accountability but its too long ago now to remember properly.

Gold Coast Suns look to lock away Peter Wright as Victorian clubs circle youngster

VICTORIAN clubs can circle all they want, “Two Metre’’ Peter Wright has almost squared away a new deal with the Gold Coast.

The key forward is off-contract at the end of this year and has been linked to a return home to Melbourne by southern media reports.

But the 2014 No.8 draft pick is well advanced in negotiations with the Suns who were presented with a contract proposal from Wright’s manager two weeks ago.

Gold Coast list manager Scott Clayton said while he understands rival clubs would be very interested in an off-contract key position player like Wright, he emphatically dismissed speculation about the 203-cm tall forward being a go-home risk.

“I can honestly tell you that Peter is as ‘happy as Larry’ at the footy club. He’s in a really good place and has shown genuine intent to re-sign,’’ Clayton said.

“We’re happy with where things are with Peter, we’ve been talking to his manager for some time now and the indication is he wants to stay.

“We’re in negotiations and the intention from both parties is a deal will get done shortly.’’

It is understood Wright wants a one-year extension while the club wants to lock him away for two more seasons.

His manager Anthony McConville has been overseas and is due to meet Clayton on Monday.

Despite being a highly touted draft pick, Wright was limited to three senior appearances last year behind the tall timber trio of Tom Lynch, Sam Day and Charlie Dixon.

He enjoyed limited success at the top level with one goal in three games but he was a legitimate force in the NEAFL and has put on 4kg over summer while maintaining his elite running ability.

With Dixon departing for Port Adelaide, Wright is in a battle with Day to be Lynch’s right-hand man if the Suns opt to play just two tall key forwards.

Wright’s ability to pinch-hit as a part-time ruckman and his superior tank could give him an edge over Day and give him far greater senior opportunities in 2016.

Suns coach Rodney Eade was more impressed by Wright (11 disposals, four marks, four tackles and a goal) in the NAB Challenge win over Brisbane on Sunday.

Wright is close to family and friends in Melbourne with his junior club Moonee Valley tweeting about his impending AFL debut in Round 10 several hours before the teams were officially released.

But he is enjoying the Gold Coast lifestyle with his good friend and former Calder Cannons and Vic Metro teammate Touk Miller joining the Suns in the same draft and the two share a house together on the Gold Coast.

Good news!

Ablett on getting challenge by teammates View attachment 220085 and Ablett on O'Meara's future View attachment 220086View attachment 220087 View attachment 220088
What an interesting interview. It's nice to get some insight into his life.

What I also find interesting is that more and more info is coming out that completely confirms that Dixon was forced out of the club. Ablett said it himself in his own words.

Everybody knows that Bennell was moved on, because it was made public. But now everyone knows that it was the Suns who gave Charlie the flick, not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back