Suns must pay for Eade, says McGuire

Remove this Banner Ad

It's self indulgent drivel such as this that makes me so so glad that Eddie played some part in having COLA removed from the AFL's pampered love child. Hopefully we can now have something approaching a level playing field across the whole spectrum of the AFL.

A far greater president and decent human being than that colourless and ineffectual non entity Sydney possess. I hope he continues to get up your, and every other haters collective nostrils for decades to come.

The greatest injustice is not an arrangement enforced by the AFL and agreed to by Fat Eddie himself. It is the influence he continues to wield to benefit himself and put himself on TV. He is the Kyle Sandilands of footy.

His behaviour during the Goodes' "ape" incident showed him up for the untrustworthy, moral-free egotist he really is. He is an embarrassment - but most Victorians keep falling for the drivel that he is some kind of champion for the game.

Does a Football Manager earn more than a Head Coach? I'm willing to think not. If that's the case, then I can't see how Collingwood can prevent Eade from moving to a higher paying gig under Restraint of Trade laws. People get better offers and leave. In the real world, it happens all the time.

Yes but there are exit clauses in contracts. I had a contract a few years back that if I left early I would be liable for 50 to 25%, reducing over time, of what I had received to date. There was also KPIs involved for a bonus. So it's not like a normal salary job, the contract could be written hiw ever they want. I just employed someone recently and She had 3 months notice to give but we needed her ASAP so HR 'bought' out her time from the other company..... That was in Malaysia but I'm not sure that happens much in Australia.

i still dont think you get it..... ill break it down

- you displayed your displeasure towards eddie asking for money for his coach leaving to be a HC of anouther team
- i then told you (PORT ADELAIDE) did the exact same thing last year to saints for richo and threatened to not allow him to go
- what dont you get, everyone does it
My displeasure towards Eddie McGuire (and has been for a long time on many many issues) is that Eddie only cares about Collingwood (and rightly so) yet continuously and vociferously and publicly claims that he is doing the right thing by the comp and what a bunch of idiots the AFL and and "Cant we get this simple thing right!"

Here is one example from a few years ago. Port Adelaide in SA was struggling with this split enforced by the SANFL between the AFL and SANFL presence (which had gotten to the point that we couldnt evem hold club functions together for fear the state based team would be getting an advantage over other SA clubs.) What does Eddie do? Ignore the facts, claim that PAFC in the AFL doesnt care about the State club, and start a media push to take on the club as a SA Magpies equivalent. A-hole of the highest order.

Couldn't give a toss about Eddie's problems. I know he cares even less about ours. And hearing them front and center of the media over and over again is getting tiresome.

The greatest injustice is not an arrangement enforced by the AFL and agreed to by Fat Eddie himself. It is the influence he continues to wield to benefit himself and put himself on TV. He is the Kyle Sandilands of footy.

His behaviour during the Goodes' "ape" incident showed him up for the untrustworthy, moral-free egotist he really is. He is an embarrassment - but most Victorians keep falling for the drivel that he is some kind of champion for the game.
You need to do something about your obsessive paranoia regarding Eddie. Far from being motivated by self interest, Eddie's overwhelming desire is that all clubs operate on an equal footing ( including Sydney ). If that gets up Sydney's nose: tough. They have been gifted massive advantages over other clubs for far too long.

As for the Adam Goodes comments from Eddie: dumb and thoughtless: yes, but malicious and racist: definitely not. Massive overreaction from the precious Adam Goodes and the Swans and their supporters.

You need to do something about your obsessive paranoia regarding Eddie. Far from being motivated by self interest, Eddie's overwhelming desire is that all clubs operate on an equal footing ( including Sydney ). If that gets up Sydney's nose: tough. They have been gifted massive advantages over other clubs for far too long.

As for the Adam Goodes comments from Eddie: dumb and thoughtless: yes, but malicious and racist: definitely not. Massive overreaction from the precious Adam Goodes and the Swans and their supporters.

Rubbish.
Sydney has to fight continuously against all major codes on its own turf to survive. Collingwood has massive advantages over other clubs including finals at its home ground, virtually no interstate travel, undue influence over the AFL, major games (ANZAC day) and being a big Victorian club In a Victorian game. To say Eddie's desire is true equalisation is so opposite of the truth it's laughable.

We should call him Lefty or One Hand Eddie because Gillon is the puppet and guess where the other hand is.

How come every Eddie thread a bunch of geniuses have to come in and abuse Eddie and offer absolutely no opinion on the matter he is discussing

Grow up
When has any other club asked for compo?
The AFL took Mark Evans off us mid season we've also lost Viney, Hardwick, Ross Smith, Leon Cameron etc which we have replaced, do the same and move on.

I like Ed but this is ridiculous.

Rubbish.
Sydney has to fight continuously against all major codes on its own turf to survive. Collingwood has massive advantages over other clubs including finals at its home ground, virtually no interstate travel, undue influence over the AFL, major games (ANZAC day) and being a big Victorian club In a Victorian game. To say Eddie's desire is true equalisation is so opposite of the truth it's laughable.

We should call him Lefty or One Hand Eddie because Gillon is the puppet and guess where the other hand is.
Cry me a river. Swans have been propped up since their inception. Monies coming from AFL coffers, a fair proportion originating from the Pies. Enough is enough. Thank goodness Eddie has the balls to take on the AFL on this issue. He is doing a service to 17 clubs. Long may he continue to do it.

Collingwood travel interstate as many times as most other Victorian clubs. Why shouldn't they play finals at the MCG if their position on the ladder dictates it? Sydney certainly get to play finals in Sydney if they earn the right.

At least the 11 matches you play in Sydney are genuine home ground matches. Pies may play 15 matches at the MCG, however half of them at least are against other Victorian clubs, who also play multiple matches at the MCG during the season. Not much home ground advantage there.

Your crocodile tears are wasted down here. Eddie is a man of the highest integrity. Your intemperate and inaccurate attacks on his character do you no credit.

Last edited:
Assume his cheque is in the mail for poaching Geoff Walsh and leaving North without a CEO, almost exactly eight years ago in November 2006.

It's footy, and it's also real life. People get a better job offered, they move on. If there's any financial implications for leaving a contract, that's between the individual and the employer - not the new employer's problem.

Your crocodile tears are wasted down here. Eddie is a man of the highest integrity. Your intemperate and inaccurate attacks on his character do you no credit.

You are totally ignorant about the Swans and their history - no surprise there.

Fat Eddie has shown his true colours time and time again. He is entirely obsessed about being seen and heard to benefit his own profile.
His "integrity" was laid bare during the Goodes issue and his blatant, biassed attacks on the Swans - all the time deflecting attention away from the continual decline of his own club in recent times.

And remember - when people in other codes and overseas talk about Aussie Rules football, they don't talk about Collingwood or any club except the Swans. The Swans are the shining light for the AFL on so many counts - and for the AFL to damage its own club at the behest of your overblown egotistical el Presidente will bring disgrace on this great game.

Assume his cheque is in the mail for poaching Geoff Walsh and leaving North without a CEO, almost exactly eight years ago in November 2006.

It's footy, and it's also real life. People get a better job offered, they move on. If there's any financial implications for leaving a contract, that's between the individual and the employer - not the new employer's problem.

What is more concerning is that Fat Eddie One-Hand is so concerned about Rodney Eade leaving. So what there are a plethora of good ex-footy players out there - maybe Fat Eddie realises that the Wobblers are in strife on and off the field. Maybe it's time his leadership was put under scrutiny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** Eddie and **** Collingwood.

Where is our compensation for Phil Walsh. Oh that's right, we have a pair, moved on and got Michael Voss.

If Collingwood is the powerhouse Eddie still thinks they are, they will have candidates beating down the door.
So Collingwood don't have the right to ask for compensation just like you demanded when Richardson left? Get off your anti-collingwood bandwagon and actually have a think about what you're saying.

What is more concerning is that Fat Eddie One-Hand is so concerned about Rodney Eade leaving. So what there are a plethora of good ex-footy players out there - maybe Fat Eddie realises that the Wobblers are in strife on and off the field. Maybe it's time his leadership was put under scrutiny.

It's pretty clear you have an agenda against McGuire.
I would too if he just took off the training wheels the AFL have granted you.

Eddies issue is the luxury tax more than losing Eade. He doesn't like handing over our profits to other clubs less financially secure just to see them come poach our own staff.

Also, he has never said we wont release Eade. He is simply saying we deserve compensation for breach of contract.

Perhaps weve done it in the past, but clearly there is a different Landscape now.

If we had sacked Eade 2 years before his contract has ended, we would have to pay him out. So if he walks 2 years early, shouldn't there be similar penalties??

The issue here is that the contract is between us and Eade...not us and GC. We would have a right to sue Eade, not GC.

So basically what we are saying is that we want to give eade the opportunity to move on to a higher position, but are asking a good faith payment by GC to release him from his contract. Otherwise we could by rights hold him to it and block his move. We dont want to do this, but we are also not running a charity.

I think Eddie is constantly misunderstood. Yes he acts in Collingwoods best interests, but this will also impact on us when we try to poach someone. I think eddie is sick of seeing contacts treated with distain.

Finally, the other issue is the timing. If it were straight after the season we would move on. But at this stage, all clubs are well intro preparation for next year. Eade takes a lot of intellectual property with him about next years plans. It also leaves us with no operations manager on the eve of pre season. Its so much harder now to find a replacement since everyone else has locked away their staff.

I dont think we will fight for massive dollars, but some simple compensation will suffice just so all clubs know there are consequences for poaching contracted staff.

Because the contract is between him and Eade, if eddie has an issue he should take it up with eade. He's the one that's leaving. It's more of eddies bullying bullshit. everyone has to deal with it. we've lost 3 assistant coaches under the AFL rule. how did prevent the forth? we negotiated a new contract. we didn't let him go and then demand compo and if we did this place would meltdown.

heaven forbid collingwood has to deal with the same issues every other club in the league deals with.

So what are you saying here? What are Eddie's options? You say to take it up with Eade and Eade alone so that seems to leave Eddie with two options:
a) Hold Eade to his contract and don't let him take the GC job
b) Let Eade walk away and take the job

Eddie would be well within his rights to hold Eade to his contract. Of course, if he did that, then this board would go nuts and Eddie/Collingwood would be the bad guys yet again (heaven forbid we expect our employees to honour their contracts). You seem to be saying that Collingwood should take option b and let their football manager walk away for free at the beginning of November because it's the good bloke thing to do. The difference is losing a football manager versus losing an assistant coach. Before you get up on your high-horse about Sydney losing assistant coaches, Collingwood has too (Watters and Neeld were both part of Collingwood's premiership coaching panel) and didn't bat an eyelid over it IIRC. Losing a football manager is different and much worse, not to mention the shitty timing of it.

Actually, Port Adelaide had a very very similar issue last year, can you let me know how they dealt with it?

So they should pay. Rodney Eade is contracted there until 2016. He is a highly regarded football strategist and will probably take over Collingwood pretty soon if Nathan Buckley doesn't make an impact (which I think may be next year).

I say Gold Coast should get Eade in exchange for Eddie getting Gary Ablett's next born son.

Eddie would probably settle for nothing less than that.

I'm sorry if all your teams were too scared of being judged to ask for compensation when you lost coaches. But Ed just doesn't care and he is running a buisness, he will probably end up getting at least a bit of compensation and we will be better off.

He is being a good buisnessman and wouldn't be doing his job very well if he were to settle for nothing. I doubt he could care less if you all hate him, he is working in the best interests of the club and really isn't doing anything wrong.

Hang your hat on Collingwood being a business in the next few years as he continues to make terrible self serving decisions that'll earn you a few bucks but no doubt lead you to further on field mediocrity i.e Buckley decision.

So we have a club that has more money and opportunities than any other club who have been recently tied down by an equalizing cap.

An equalizing cap that they had planned for and made arrangements so that they would not be in breach of the new equalization but rather abide by it.

THEN.. something happens out of the clubs hands that means that their arrangements to follow the rules are affected and they have to either miss out on something or breach a cap...

Why does that sound familiar?....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back