SuperCoach resources.... Your rating of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChardonnay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2009
In the shadows of the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
theres a few out there and personally, as a newbie to SC I found them to be quite helpful. But now I'm a bit more seasoned in the SC world I find a couple of them really do dish out some poor advice.

How do you rank/rate them?

I like jock Reynolds but more for the humour than anything else. Their advice is Ok but I don't treat it as gospel.

Fanfooty is the best resource as it's generally free of opinion and works in facts only. Their match reviews in particular are excellent. Down side is the generally s**t website they operate.

SC Paige. Meh. Advice they give isn't always great and they don't update regularly.

Tooserious is great for a stats snapshot and the home of the BE but doesn't offer a lot more.

Thoughts?

The quality of the blog articles on tooserious and the knowledgeable discussions following them makes it stand out from the others for me.
They are very quiet offseason but based on the last couple of years will ramp up in a couple of weeks and become a hive of activity again..

I used to really enjoy their game chat but it died last year when they changed the format.

I'm not a big fan of any of the opinion based sites as they can cloud your judgement and lead you into simply following the crowd.
I like to form my own opinions with the help of Footywire, which has excellent statistics, combined with the injury reports on FanFooty's archives which can sometimes explain out of character poor scores.

Honestly, I'd take the opinions of most blokes on bigfooty over Paige.

Fanfooty is the one I use most.

I used to really enjoy their game chat but it died last year when they changed the format.

It was back up and running properly towards the end of the year, good place for live SC scores, but not as many people in it due to the period where the logins were busted, should be all good for next year.

Jock Reynolds has taken it to another level so far this pre-season. Last year I only used the cheat sheets but this time around I'll definitely be using the Higginator, that tool really is second to none, and have already pre-ordered the magazine. The podcasts are also bloody funny :thumbsu:

Never heard of it?
Why is it brilliant
It's a Java program that allows you to import your team and can help to project price changes, Break Evens and various other things. If you have ever used tooserious' salary calculator thing it basically is a more polished version of that. Allows you to more easily do things like plan trades and stuff. It's a pretty decent program, not essential by any means but pretty helpful at times.

- SCS for conceptual fantasy ideas, though the level of actual footy literacy is low.
- BF club boards for general player/footy knowledge.
- FF for quick access to fantasy stats and injury/role info.
- AFL Tables for more advanced stats.
- TS for price projections.

None of the opinion sites are a patch on watching plenty of football, getting in a league with some smart coaches you can bounce ideas off, and learning your way around Excel so you can do your own analysis.

I'd also recommend playing in a draft league with your mates, as it forces you to consider 500 players rather than 50. Oh, and it's fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- SCS for conceptual fantasy ideas, though the level of actual footy literacy is low.
- BF club boards for general player/footy knowledge.
- FF for quick access to fantasy stats and injury/role info.
- AFL Tables for more advanced stats.
- TS for price projections.

None of the opinion sites are a patch on watching plenty of football, getting in a league with some smart coaches you can bounce ideas off, and learning your way around Excel so you can do your own analysis.

I'd also recommend playing in a draft league with your mates, as it forces you to consider 500 players rather than 50. Oh, and it's fun.

Exactly, been doing a draft league with a group of mates for the last 2 years and it's great fun.
This year I secured Parker in the middle range of the draft and Gray with one of my last picks. Pretty much won me the league.
Can fall apart a bit if any of the coaches loss interest...

Can fall apart a bit if any of the coaches loss interest...
We have ten or so, and there's normally two or three whose teams go to s**t early, but cash and a trophy keep the rest interested (this year's champ won it from eighth) and there's an appropriate disincentive against coming last.

We have ten or so, and there's normally two or three whose teams go to s**t early, but cash and a trophy keep the rest interested (this year's champ won it from eighth) and there's an appropriate disincentive against coming last.

Wasn't a cash league but did have incentives for winning and a punishment for last place. Became a bit of a dead rubber for last when one team completely dropped their bundle at round 4.

Other than that draft is a great learning curve and can really help in unearthing breakout contenders.

I don't mind Supercoachcoach - handy to keep on eye on those sexy rookies who are on the bubble etc. And otherwise generally good chat.

I don't use any other resources anymore. BigFooty has everything these other sites have, and more

Bigfooty in the off season
Fanfooty during live game for stats
Scpaige at end of each quarter for sc scores

Always referring to fanfooty for historical data to make trade and captain decisions.

I had wondered what happened to TS, now I know I guess. Always thought it was good but then it just died a couple of years ago.

I go there occasionally to check scores, but also to footywire and fanfooty. They all seem to have slightly different numbers, so always useful to cross reference.

For keeper leagues, are there any on this site, or do people do them? I wouldn't mind doing a slow draft for a change on a forum and not a timed rush job that SCD offers.

I had wondered what happened to TS, now I know I guess. Always thought it was good but then it just died a couple of years ago.

I go there occasionally to check scores, but also to footywire and fanfooty. They all seem to have slightly different numbers, so always useful to cross reference.

For keeper leagues, are there any on this site, or do people do them? I wouldn't mind doing a slow draft for a change on a forum and not a timed rush job that SCD offers.

i've got a draft league that I'm going to run in 2015 on SC scores forum. happy to post it here for a BigFooty Draft league to gauge interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back