AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangas
:(

man,makes me sad
but what a great run. i think they made 5 classic albums IMO
the last was fairly decent but it didnt reach new ground like the others

one of the few bands that really got me into music in a big way. i think they will still stand up in the future and im sure gaz and mick will continue to make music in some other form

glad i saw them live in freemantle a few years ago

long live the strange ones!
will be missed..i hope the new recording do surface in some form

great.****in. band:thumbsu:

Yeah, pretty bummed about this.

Happy I was at the same Freo gig (2nd time I'd seen them) and met the guys before the gig.

Can't complain - they had a great run.

Mansize - You heard the 'Hot Rats' album of covers that Gaz and Danny put out? It's not too bad.

Yeah, pretty bummed about this.

Happy I was at the same Freo gig (2nd time I'd seen them) and met the guys before the gig.

Can't complain - they had a great run.

Mansize - You heard the 'Hot Rats' album of covers that Gaz and Danny put out? It's not too bad.

not yet
only heard the kinks cover of big sky,liked it alot

apparently release the drones will come out..
just not untill jan 2011 now:(

Great and very underated band of the Brit Pop era. Saw them 4 times in the UK in the mid to late 90's and once in Adelaide. I Should Coco and In it for the Money would play very heavily in the soundtrack to my 2 and half years living in London.

life after supergrass

gaz bro charly coombes
Charly Coombes & The New Breed

great song. the have a few EP's out. has a diamond hoo haa vibe

[YOUTUBE]V9PLOmRaMuM[/YOUTUBE]

Micks Band
http://www.dbband.com/

and

Gaz is currently working on his first solo album.
Mainly recorded at his studio in Oxford, he & Producer Sam Williams are at the latter stages of the record, which is due for release next year

:thumbsu:

:(

man,makes me sad
but what a great run. i think they made 5 classic albums IMO
the last was fairly decent but it didnt reach new ground like the others

one of the few bands that really got me into music in a big way. i think they will still stand up in the future and im sure gaz and mick will continue to make music in some other form

glad i saw them live in freemantle a few years ago

long live the strange ones!
will be missed..i hope the new recording do surface in some form

great.****in. band:thumbsu:

wow, never saw this thread previously or I'd have been all over it.

the 'grass were one of my fave bands, underrated for sure (although they did have their odd moment in the sun) and very consistently great.
personally I thought Diamond Hoo Ha Men was a bit of a drop-off though.

however In it for the Money is one of my all-time faves and I could happily pop on any of their albums any time and enjoy.

managed to catch them live three times, including a gem of a mid-winter, mid-week gig in which they played songs from the at-the-time-unreleased 'Life on other planets' - blew me away at the time ...

good to see some other fans around these parts.

yep, top band, and agree with Diamond Hoo Ha being a little of the pace...

Missed out on seeing their last tour here, when I couldn't persuade anyone to come to see them with me :mad:

Putting on "Mary" in their honour as we speak...

one of my faves too, mansize rooster :thumbsu:

I think seeing this clip on Rage one night is what piqued my interest in them.. actually, I had already really enjoyed 'Alright' from I Should CoCo - but I bought their 2nd album first and their 1st album second ...

the video for Going Out was also really cool, saw both of those in short succession and decided I'd better get onboard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I think init for the money sealed the deal for alot of people. Great follow up. More mature, more twists to the sound whilst still maintaining that energy of coco. Still throw it on alot.

Mary was the sealer for me.
I bought 'Supergrass First' Then CoCo, Then Init

Then the last three when they came out
ah man. bit tipsy after the north win
Supergrass could get a good run tonight :D

This thread being pumped and me finally getting fairly into Britpop has piqued the old interest... I was born in the heyday of the genre so it's interesting the way it resonates; a sub-conscious appreciation and remembrance. A bit of Supergrass always got a spin in the car on the way to Perth as a kid.

Where to start?

This thread being pumped and me finally getting fairly into Britpop has piqued the old interest... I was born in the heyday of the genre so it's interesting the way it resonates; a sub-conscious appreciation and remembrance. A bit of Supergrass always got a spin in the car on the way to Perth as a kid.

Where to start?

Go from the start. I Should Coco is great, In it for the Money even better. But always good to go from day dot.

Where to start?

agree with UpForGrabs as far as the 'grass are concerned; chronological order is probably best - I Should CoCo is pretty ramshackle and rambunctious, not really a bad track on the album although I like some more than others (Sofa of my lethargy is underrated I reckon, awesome song) - mansize rooster takes his name from a track from I Should CoCo, and it's a ripper too, along with Caught By the Fuzz and Alright.

as far as other Britpop; I suppose I can take or leave a lot of it, although it was a pretty broad genre in some ways ...

I really like Gomez's first 3-4 albums though, they'd be up there with Supergrass as my favourite UK bands from around that time ...
here's a lil' sample

three singer/songwriters in the band, all with good stuff to offer ... they do sounds a bit more like a US band than a UK band, despite the accents; ya can tell a lot of their influences are American ..

really good live band too, I actually put Gomez and Supergrass on pretty even footing as far as their recorded and live output is concerned ..

agree with UpForGrabs as far as the 'grass are concerned; chronological order is probably best - I Should CoCo is pretty ramshackle and rambunctious, not really a bad track on the album although I like some more than others (Sofa of my lethargy is underrated I reckon, awesome song) - mansize rooster takes his name from a track from I Should CoCo, and it's a ripper too, along with Caught By the Fuzz and Alright.

My favourite song on the album.

yep,
chronological order is the way i agree.
As good a LP progression as Blur or Suede from that era.

I'll just say that Life on other planets is the Underrated one
The big production Spacey-Glam pop one. it's pretty great. The vocals on that one are on another level.
I feel a fair amount of people dropped of that band on this one:oops:

You would be!
Still a terrific album though. Butterfly is one of their very best

Supergrass > Init for the Money > Life on other planets > CoCo > Road to Rouen > Hoo Ha

Top Ten Choons
1. Moving
2. Roxy
3. Mansize Rooster
4. Sun Hits the Sky
5. Can't get up
6. Richard III
7. Strange Ones
8. Evening of the day
9. Kiss of Life
10.Butterfly

Remove this Banner Ad