Supermarkets - I am over them

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure if anyone else is sick of the treatment we get from the two big supermarkets, Coles and Woolworths, but I sure as hell am.

They call the shots in every way and have no regard for us mug shoppers out here in consumer land. As we all know they want to get rid of check out people and have pushed us as hard as they can to the self check out method.

Yeah it is supposed to be quicker but in their infinite wisdom they have not set their systems up to be user friendly. At first Coles was far harder to use than Woolworths, however Coles lifted their (very poor) game a little while Woolworths, after discovering that too many people were departing with too many "free" items, had to clamp down. Initially at Coles when you filled the entirely inadequate space to park the scanned items, you couldn't remove the bag and start filling another without their air raid sirens going off. They eventually got that sort of right, while Woolworths introduced the same "don't you dare move the bag and start another bag" system, making theirs just about unworkable if you are buying more than about half a dozen items.

Now on Tuesday I went through the self check out at Coles to discover that one of their (not) very smart technology people has just come up with a new system which provides an entirely different set of screen options, rendering the system almost unworkable.

The unfortunate assistant who had to help me on Tuesday told me that it was just "upgraded" that morning. Through very gritted teeth I told her that indeed she was quite wrong and that in fact they had just "downgraded" their system, hence I was off to Woolworths. I dunno why though as their system still a shocker.

When I was a kid, either my mother or my father would ring through the order to the local general store, about 5 miles away, every Monday morning and later that afternoon the owner would deliver the order and tick off the items on the docket at our kitchen table.

Bring it all back I say and f*** off Coles and Woolworths.

^ ^ ^ I hear ya on the moving the bags bit.Moved the filled bag a bit on the stand to get another one . Only needed the 2 bags . Warnings etc re filling / moving the bag then the machine wouldn't accept the next step Called assistant. She pressed something . and I started again . Same thing happened, so I pressed the spot she did . Perhaps we are only supposed to get one bag filled there . Stupid . I prefer to have a bigger shop and go through the manned aisle . Not always needed of course though

Totally agree with you both, I have made it a new rule to always go through the 'manned' checkouts.

I share your frustration Horace. I'm also not a fan of people going through the self-serve checkout with a trolley choc full of goods or those who stand around chatting when they are putting their stuff through. If the red light is flashing ask for help, don't sit there like a stunned mullet.

I also have a problem with those at Masters...I chose self-serve so i don't have to talk to anyone. Please don't come up to me and ask if I've got a big weekend planned or ask if I'm going out drinking tonight. I know you are just checking to see if I'm putting everything through correctly.

Self-serve at Ikea..."random check" which is code for "you have more than 5 items and we don't bloody trust you"

frustrated-cameron-o-gif.10043

I get probably the majority done by click and collect, but like to get whatever fruit and veggies, and a few other things myself. So a little from column A, and a little from column B. I like to use the staffed checkout, though they seemingly lack “packing knowledge” but am happy to use the self checkout too.

^ ^ ^ I hear ya on the moving the bags bit.Moved the filled bag a bit on the stand to get another one . Only needed the 2 bags . Warnings etc re filling / moving the bag then the machine wouldn't accept the next step Called assistant. She pressed something . and I started again . Same thing happened, so I pressed the spot she did . Perhaps we are only supposed to get one bag filled there . Stupid . I prefer to have a bigger shop and go through the manned aisle . Not always needed of course though

Wat happened to this cat?

Blue Commer van H?

Its a long time ago, SoS. It was certainly a van though, driven more often than not by Bill Hose, who I seem to recall is no longer with us. Was a very good footballer for both Port Campbell and Cobden and might have been good enough to make it to the VFL in those days.

Its a long time ago, SoS. It was certainly a van though, driven more often than not by Bill Hose, who I seem to recall is no longer with us. Was a very good footballer for both Port Campbell and Cobden and might have been good enough to make it to the VFL in those days.

There were some pretty handy footballers from our area. John Rantall from Scotts Creek, Don Whitford from Timboon, played for Melbourne, Hughie Worrall from Port played a few games for Fitzroy, Michael Giblett from very close to home and Port, played for St. Kilda; and of course, Alistair and Stewart Lord also from Port were both stars at Geelong. Not to mention the great man Cunners from Princetown, now about to pull on the boots at Warrnambool. Nice article from last weeks Standard below.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back