superstitions!

Remove this Banner Ad

I always rationalise to myself pre-game that no matter what I do it is not going to affect how 22 grown men go about playing a game of football.
I left my scarf and cap behind when we went over for the R23 game in Perth. You know the result.
Actually I reckon in the off-season we'll be doing a lot of discussing whether finishing 5th was better than 4th, but that's not the point.

Last edited:
this thread is great. comforting to know im not the only one, my friends hammer me for being like this. im the most negative man in the world, to the point i sicken everyone around me, i say we'll lose no matter what. reverse psychology for every bit of play. i don't have any set routines. i just change minor things during the game, usually the way i sit or what i wear. e.g in the first half of saturday's game i wore my maggies guernsey open over my polo, at half time i took it off. also changed where i sat and kept it there after robbie kicked the first in the 3rd (kneeled over in front of the tele). i also barked at anyone who changed posi, or said we will win. im not a fun person to watch games with. beanies, pants, t-shirts, jumpers, shoes all vary depending on the previous result.

another quick example is, in round 1 against carlton. i wore a new pair of shoes i had purchased, we were losing, i took them off & we started winning.

My only real superstition is that I buy a football budget/record and mark the goalkickers and matchups. I feel nude without holding the footy budget. Times when i've purchased a budget then realised i've forgotten to bring a pen have been disastrous occasions.

Jarman Impey to the rescue leaping over the fence and striding up to Macca brandishing a Mont Blanc, "Here you go son", before kicking 15 goals and winning the Norm Smith

Corbis-42-34419266.jpg

Macca19 and his pre-game superstition / routine.
I listened to many a coaches pre-game speech from this exact position, especially GF's. Made it difficult though when I was the coach.

this thread is great. comforting to know im not the only one, my friends hammer me for being like this. im the most negative man in the world, to the point i sicken everyone around me, i say we'll lose no matter what. reverse psychology for every bit of play. i don't have any set routines. i just change minor things during the game, usually the way i sit or what i wear. e.g in the first half of saturday's game i wore my maggies guernsey open over my polo, at half time i took it off. also changed where i sat and kept it there after robbie kicked the first in the 3rd (kneeled over in front of the tele). i also barked at anyone who changed posi, or said we will win. im not a fun person to watch games with. beanies, pants, t-shirts, jumpers, shoes all vary depending on the previous result.

another quick example is, in round 1 against carlton. i wore a new pair of shoes i had purchased, we were losing, i took them off & we started winning.

My brother in law used to always say he will kick this when players where having a shot a goal, i used to get so pissed off with him because every time he said that they would miss, i often always say ahh he will miss he is a crap kick for goal (the people around me would think that i am a serial player basher, but Im just trying to reverse jynx them).

I will also not tip port unless its a dead set certanty in the footy tips

I could go on all day - thats why i started this thread because I seen it on the Hawks Board and relized allthough i might be crazy im definitley not alone lol

They played ntua on the radio 30 mins before the game this weekend. I took it as a good sign. Also I feel like if I don't play my bear that sings the team song after a win we will lose the next week. (the two times I forgot to play it this year we lost the next week. So my bad on that one guys.)

My brother in law used to always say he will kick this when players where having a shot a goal, i used to get so pissed off with him because every time he said that they would miss, i often always say ahh he will miss he is a crap kick for goal (the people around me would think that i am a serial player basher, but Im just trying to reverse jynx them).

I will also not tip port unless its a dead set certanty in the footy tips

I could go on all day - thats why i started this thread because I seen it on the Hawks Board and relized allthough i might be crazy im definitley not alone lol
sounds a lot like myself. to add to the stupidity of this topic, i used to do the same tweet before every game. 'its clobbering time'. up until the showdown id done it every game bar the north & sydney game. then i did it before the showdown, bombers & richmond games. so i gave up on it.

My other one which I guess most ppl would have is I have to wear the matching guernsey as the team. Doesn't matter if I'm at the game or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just know that if a Magpie crosses my path during the week (as it did last week) then we are sure to win :)

I'll keep you posted this week.
Hey? The same thing happened to me last Friday. Anyway whenever my mum watches Port Adelaide we always seem to win. She didn't watch the first half of the match of the Fremantle match but came in to watch the second half and the rest is history. With 4 minutes to go in the Fremantle match my mum decided that she was going to leave (due to this pizza cafe closing soon) to get some celebratory pizzas, I told her not to worry about getting pizzas and to "stay seated" until the match was finished lol. In other words, she's not missing another Port moment in this finals series

They played ntua on the radio 30 mins before the game this weekend. I took it as a good sign. Also I feel like if I don't play my bear that sings the team song after a win we will lose the next week. (the two times I forgot to play it this year we lost the next week. So my bad on that one guys.)

Lift your game son!!

I have a ritual where on a game day I'll play NTUA at some point during the day. I started in Round 22 (Carlton Win) I didn't do it the following week (Freo Loss) but did for the EF against Richmond. Last Saturday on my way home I was using spotify rather than a CD and as it was the only song on my playlist I ended up listening to it on a loop for 30 mins. Needless to say I'll be listening to it on plane down to MEL on Saturday.

Also we had a random thunderstorm pass through this afternoon. Which I can only take as a positive sign as thunderstorms in Brisbane are rare at this time of year.

My only real superstition is that I buy a football budget/record and mark the goalkickers and matchups. I feel nude without holding the footy budget. Times when i've purchased a budget then realised i've forgotten to bring a pen have been disastrous occasions.

The Pen deserves it's own ticket

I am not at all superstitious, but me and some mates where at Alberton to watch the Freo game and when we were down at half time, we were jokingly making suggestions about what to do to change the tide of the game. For some reason me and one of them just switched our shoes (we weren't nearly as drunk as you'd think). As the boys started coming back we were laughing about how it was all caused by the great shoe switch.

We joke about it but if we're down at half time again this week, shoes will be swapped.

I never wore my NE hat because I did once and we lost.

I then wore my grey NE hat to the Carlton game and since then have worn it to every game. Will do the same this week (and hopefully next).

I used to be really superstituous but I've tried to stop. It's not good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back