Supporter behaviour. What's acceptable?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
I must admit, Ive been shocked by some criticisms by posters on here of some behavior that I think is fine.

Most of us on here invest a fair bit of emotion in gameday I'd assume.

What is wrong with the occasional punched seat (vacant, of course), the occasional dropped swear word, the singling out of an opposition dud (i.e. The Zac Dawson quotient). Doesnt this club need all the passion it can get?

For me, the line stops at racial/sexual abuse, and I think constantly bagging our players is pretty ordinary.

But aside from that, be loud, be proud, fire up. We have our football club, so why the * shouldnt those of us who like to be vocal be allowed to?

I tend to wear headphones to filter out most of what people say, because nothing intelligent tends to come from the crowd. Perhaps I am just old and cranky, but loud, obnoxious morons who make other people feel uncomfortable (not me, particularly women and kids) is just not a great thing.

However, i feel North supporters tend to be pretty good compared to many other Victorian clubs.

I was at the game against GC at Etihad ... well, the actual last time we actually beat them. And it was a sign of things to come.

Half-time we were behind and the boos were long and loud.
What's your point?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with telling Zac Dawson he is a hack. Because he is and he knows it.

I've been telling him that for several years now and he still fronts up for more. Well that's his problem not mine.

The bloke (33) who was tagging Boomer yesterday is an ugly looking bloke. Sadly I couldn't remember his name otherwise I would have let him know. But I refuse to stoop to the level of GoDees fans who would normally run with "By jove, number 33, the facial features need some cosmetic work".

I tend to wear headphones to filter out most of what people say, because nothing intelligent tends to come from the crowd. Perhaps I am just old and cranky, but loud, obnoxious morons who make other people feel uncomfortable (not me, particularly women and kids) is just not a great thing.

However, i feel North supporters tend to be pretty good compared to many other Victorian clubs.
Are supporters are pritty good not like the following
1.Collingwood - most viscous arogents supporters.
2.Essendon - Hunt in packs won't take you on one one .
3.Melbourne - Up them selfs think they a power club I can't believe how the AFL look after them with feature games like The Pink game , Anzac Eve game and Queens Birthday game and there are wanting a game on Good Friday game this a club who made a mockery of the draft laying down to get early picks and they been doing this for nearly a decade now

3.Melbourne - Up them selfs think they a power club I can't believe how the AFL look after them with feature games like The Pink game , Anzac Eve game and Queens Birthday game and there are wanting a game on Good Friday game this a club who made a mockery of the draft laying down to get early picks and they been doing this for nearly a decade now
Essendon is spelt with a * around these parts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh dear

Looking up at the TV screen and seeing a woman hurling abuse at Suban as he took his kick wasn't a good look.

My 12yo loves the theatre of it all. A young passionate North fella was swearing a lot, but B2B junior took that in her stride, saying she didn't mind his language, but "he was even more tense than you dad". She told me I was getting too loud in the last quarter on Sunday, but then reminded me that she was louder. A drunk loudmouthed Freo supporter on the tram was a "funny clown" to her. Personally I reckon footy crowds are terrific with the ragbag element all part of it. And I reckon the kids don't get shocked by swearing these days, but love the color of the 'clowns' .

There is a fine line between constraining bigoted or abusive behavior and removing freedoms. After spending a decade overseas, my view is that the 'nanny state' culture has become pretty extreme here. Although I have spent many years working with minority groups and issues, I feel concerned that campaigns like that around the Adam Goodes booing might seem justified but could also be counter-productive to anti-racism efforts.

No need to sanitize the game more than this. Let the footy supporter behave and misbehave in the ebb and flow of the game. The anti-discrimination laws are in place and are doing their job.

The seat in front of me is still attached to its bracket - unlike the one that an injured or suspended former defender "removed" with an almighty whack! one night a few years ago against the *Bombres.

I think that's the key - whacking the seat but not busting it.

I think the rules should only stop racist/homophobic abuse. That helps other supporters call it out when they hear it, knowing they will be backed by security - players and supporters shouldn't have to put up with that crap when they are at work/enjoying time off.

Otherwise, what's acceptable is a personable taste thing. I don't like being angry and aggressive or being around other people who are, but I'll move to where I'm more comfortable - I don't particularly think it's wrong, just not my cup of tea. Same with the carry-on from the Collingwood supporters to the Richmond players - I'd be embarrassed to be seen doing that and I wouldn't want to sit near it, but they can if they want.

Bit like on BF, really. I put the trolls on ignore, report what's over the line, and generally try to keep my footy self as calm and pleasant as I hope my everyday self generally is and converse with people who are similar in temperament.

My 12yo loves the theatre of it all. A young passionate North fella was swearing a lot, but B2B junior took that in her stride, saying she didn't mind his language, but "he was even more tense than you dad". She told me I was getting too loud in the last quarter on Sunday, but then reminded me that she was louder. A drunk loudmouthed Freo supporter on the tram was a "funny clown" to her. Personally I reckon footy crowds are terrific with the ragbag element all part of it. And I reckon the kids don't get shocked by swearing these days, but love the color of the 'clowns' .

There is a fine line between constraining bigoted or abusive behavior and removing freedoms. After spending a decade overseas, my view is that the 'nanny state' culture has become pretty extreme here. Although I have spent many years working with minority groups and issues, I feel concerned that campaigns like that around the Adam Goodes booing might seem justified but could also be counter-productive to anti-racism efforts.

No need to sanitize the game more than this. Let the footy supporter behave and misbehave in the ebb and flow of the game. The anti-discrimination laws are in place and are doing their job.

Some kids deal with it well, others get traumatised by it. Some ferals go off their nut, get into fights, it can be pretty horrific depending on how feral the supporters are.

As long as there is nothing racial/sexist or family related.

It's all fair game.

All the people that sit at the front of Aisle 34 have been around for a while so we're all comfortable with each other.

There is one guy that goes absolutely off tap a few rows back.

Loudest voice I have ever heard.

Some kids deal with it well, others get traumatised by it. Some ferals go off their nut, get into fights, it can be pretty horrific depending on how feral the supporters are.
Fair point Tas, but there is no pure society, unless it is a totally sterile one with the feral behaviors shifting behind closed doors. I think we have plenty of protections....scores of police, a public that will generally be protective of kids, and parents and guardians to provide the explanations and ear muffs....that makes the footy a safer place to go than many other events in town. Don't get me wrong, we moved from our first seats on Sunday because we weren't enjoying listening to a foghorn of a bloke behind us, but footy crowds are still far from being unfriendly, anti-social places, in my book.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back