Supporter behaviour. What's acceptable?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if it's been posted here. But after a North goal why don't all fans across the stadium get the North Melbourne chant going? Have seen a few other teams do it to create a hostile atmosphere.

Just the usual stuff from me, though I did refer to one of the umpires as a word rhyming with punt during the last term of our win against Geelong in 2013. Fortunately everyone was going nuts, and it wasn't as though I was wrong. :thumbsu:

Five or six years ago I ran down to the fence behind the goal at the Lockett end and loudly advised Drewie not to bend over in front of Chad Cornes.

Not acceptable, I suspect.

More acceptable that having Titus O'Repetitive in your signature bro.

Not sure if it's been posted here. But after a North goal why don't all fans across the stadium get the North Melbourne chant going? Have seen a few other teams do it to create a hostile atmosphere.
I think because it's lame.

I've never actually got into more than a verbal scrap but this is more due to good luck and good sense. Two instances where I could have got my head punched in spring to mind. And neither involves supporting North.

Many years ago, I braved the outer at Victoria Park to watch Fitzroy take on the Pies. For reasons which remain obscure to me today, I found a spot close to the fence amidst a group of typical Pie supporters. You know the type, not a lot of teeth, very foul mouthed and able to only see one side of any story.

A ball went over the boundary directly in front of us, the ump threw it back in, the Fitzroy ruckman punched it straight back out. A Pie supporter, about three away from me, roared "deliberate" which was ignored by the field ump. The ball was tossed back in, the Pies ruckman belted it back out and on the premise of what is "good for the goose is good for the gander", I bellowed "deliberate". The Pie supporter turned to me and from a particularly foul mouth told me " if you don't &*%#@ &*%$ shut your mouth, I'll &*%#@ &*%$ shut it for you". His wife/partner, (poor woman), also turned to me and through similar teeth, shouted "And he &*%#@ &*%$ means it to. I duly shut up.

The second instance was at a Geelong v GoDees match at Kardinia Park, again in the outer. I was with my Geelong supporting nephew and about midway through the last quarter, after the Cats appeared to have a comfortable lead, the GoDees started coming back at them, kicking a few unanswered goals. Standing a couple in front of us was a very unGoDees thuggy looking supporter. About 6'4" tall and 18 stone in weight, he started shouting "Give em s**t, Melbourne, give em s**t". Now Cats supporters can be very pussy like, they had already gone quiet and no-one reacted to this lad. Somehow or other the Cats managed to kick a couple of goals and steady the ship a little, but no lip forthcoming from the Cats supporters.

So stupidly I decided to fly the flag for Geelong and yelled loudly into the vicinity of the ear of this GoDees man. "Give em s**t, Geelong, give em s**t" to which the GoDees man turned to see who the miscreant was behind him. Front view of the GoDees man revealed that he must have spent some time at the dentist who treats Pie supporters. Luckily, my nephew is pretty tall too and the GoDees man decided not to take any action apart from giving us a very long look. I kept quiet for the rest of the game.
I'm surprised that you don't have any stories from the Colosseum or other arenas.

I went to the prelim last year and had a few choice words for a few players. I advised Adam Goodes of where the diving platforms were located at Moore Park and l later asked Parker to get off the top of pack stating, "get off him, he's not your sister." I quickly shut up after that.

Because we don't want to be like the cheer squad.

Over the years I've always found Saints supporters the worst overall.

The main problem being, and this is from sitting/standing at many different grounds in many different spots, is that they have been so ingrained with misery for just so damn long, that once they realise they are not going to win a game, they will make damn sure no-one else around them can enjoy the day either.

I have encountered this over and over and over again against this mob.
Saints fans are shockers. I reckon that they're probably the worst when it comes to turning on their own. So much failure induced bitterness.
Five or six years ago I ran down to the fence behind the goal at the Lockett end and loudly advised Drewie not to bend over in front of Chad Cornes.

Not acceptable, I suspect.
No, not at all. Drewie's very good below his knees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly I thought our crowd on Sunday was bloody fantastic!

I was listening on my mobile, in a paddock somewhere and the crowd sounded unbelievable.

I remember thinking there must be 150, 000 people there. It really sounded amazing. I end up listening to most North games online cos we never get them televised up here and that was the first time I really noticed the crowd/thought how unreal they sounded. Well done. I only caught the last quarter when we were coming back then holding that lead so i dunno about the rest of the game but what I heard in that last quarter was spine tingling.

I sit on level 1 in a North area that tends to be a bit quiet at times apart from Negative Neville a few rows back who'd be disappointed when he found the gold at the end of the rainbow what with all the walking it took and gold prices these days...
I like a good yell but tend not to swear much (kids around) and don't like to bag our own players, at least not loudly anyway.
In a strangely comical scene back when Laidley was coach I had to get in between my lovely tea drinking Opp Shop volunteer mother and a crazy North supporter who thought it was okay to threaten North players, staff and umpires with stabbings & house burnings and the like. Kinda thought she may overstepped the mark when she yelled at Laidley from only a few metres away that she was gonna track him down and stab him in the eye.

I love A39 but hate how A40 always has the Ticketmaster Opposition Members.......When you see two opposition blokes sitting together with 4 beers each you know you're in for a treat.

I love A39 but hate how A40 always has the Ticketmaster Opposition Members.......When you see two opposition blokes sitting together with 4 beers each you know you're in for a treat.

My favorite is when opposition supporters come into our area and get mouthy.

......Negative Neville a few rows back who'd be disappointed when he found the gold at the end of the rainbow what with all the walking it took and gold prices these days...

That's brilliant!! Iknow so many people like this, and not just at the footy! :D:thumbsu:

........ a crazy North supporter who thought it was okay to threaten North players, staff and umpires with stabbings & house burnings and the like. Kinda thought she may overstepped the mark when she yelled at Laidley from only a few metres away that she was gonna track him down and stab him in the eye.

Sounds like the sort of character the De Niro could've married for a happy life in "The Fan".

-Idiots that swear constantly in and around children at the footy is truly disgusting and a massive turn off.
Can understand when it's a one-off due to an umpiring howler in a big game but when it's non stop swearing/abuse/innuendo
in front of kids then that person has 'issues' with their life. Paying $25 doesn't give you the right to behave like a f...wit.

-The hyper kid that sits right behind you and spends most of the day kicking into your seat annoying the hell out of you.
You then politely ask their parent for some 'courtesy' and they just look at you as if you're the one with the problem....

-Idiots that swear constantly in and around children at the footy is truly disgusting and a massive turn off.
Can understand when it's a one-off due to an umpiring howler in a big game but when it's non stop swearing/abuse/innuendo
in front of kids then that person has 'issues' with their life. Paying $25 doesn't give you the right to behave like a f...wit.

-The hyper kid that sits right behind you and spends most of the day kicking into your seat annoying the hell out of you.
You then politely ask their parent for some 'courtesy' and they just look at you as if you're the one with the problem....
Had this in the Essendon match. Asked a couple of times. It was early enough before the game that the whole family eventually just moved back row. Great way to solve your kid's behaviour.....

Early in the game my daughter heard the bloke behind her mutter "If this kid behind me doesn't stop kicking my seat.........."

Turn around and ask the kid directly to stop kicking your seat.

Don't tell the kid off, just in a firm voice politely say something to the effect of "matey could you stop kicking my seat"

What do you think the parent is going to do? Tell you off for nicely asking their child to stop kicking your seat?

Turn around and ask the kid directly to stop kicking your seat.

Don't tell the kid off, just in a firm voice politely say something to the effect of "matey could you stop kicking my seat"

What do you think the parent is going to do? Tell you off for nicely asking their child to stop kicking your seat?

I had this recently. Caused a barney between my wife and me.

My youngest daughter was kicking the seat in front of her. Just absent mindedly swinging her feet back and forth. Would have been bloody annoying for the bloke in front.

He turns around and says to my daughter something to the effect of "matey could you stop kicking my seat". We tell our daughter off, 1 minute later she does it again, I notice it before the bloke complains again so I grab her and move her to sit next to me (she was sitting next to my wife, farthest from me) and give her a quiet but terse earful.

5 minutes later she's doing it again (I was trying to keep an eye on her but got absorbed in the play on the field) and the bloke now in front of her turns around and says something to the effect of "matey could you stop kicking my seat". I apologise on her behalf, say some more terse words to her and stick my leg on an awkward angle in front of hers so she can't do it any more. She dissolves in a wailing mess for 5 minutes (she's ASD so sometimes she just doesn't quite get the why's or wherefore's of these types of situations), and eventually calms down and finds something else to do. Problem (eventually) solved.

In the meantime, my wife has gone all mother bear and is fuming about the first bloke for having the temerity to have a polite - a little terse, but polite - word to our daughter about kicking his seat. I said he was perfectly justified in saying something cos it would be really annoying. She said he shouldn't have said anything, she isn't able to understand what's going on etc etc, I said how is he to know what our daughter is like, she said I'll just let anyone walk over her, I said what is he supposed to do, she said....and so on.

So yeah, if the parent is my wife, I think she is going to tell you off for nicely asking her child to stop kicking your seat! o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back