supporting port magpies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great speech, Im not moving the blame on you, happy for both the Crows and Power to be in the AFL, good luck to you and I hold the crows equally to blame for what is happening in the SANFL. I do blame the Glenelg football club directors for their vote and all the other clubs that voted for these AFL franchises playing in a local league

I find it amazing that you dont consider paying $2.5 million against $340K an advantage.

Firstly, it's great to share some similar views on football in this state:thumbsu:

It's $2.5m due to the AFL salary cap standards. Regardless of what we think players should be paid, AFL clubs are expected to pay a minimum wage to their draftees, rookies, 1st year, 2nd year, etc. There are levels of payments, which have been arranged between the AFL and the AFLPA. I'd almost see it as a different currency ($SANFL vs $AFL if you like).

Furthermore, would you prefer a Clint Alleway or Mason Shaw? You cannot bring age and future into this equation. The reality is, if Shaw reaches his full potential, he doesn't play for the Maggies anyway; He'd be playing in the AFL. If Shaw has reached his full potential at SANFL level (at his current age), he wouldn't be receiving his min. AFL wage as he'd be delisted and sent packing to find another club.

Our boys are living in a cut-throat environment. Many of them young and inexperienced. Many haven't yet got jobs to full back on.
On the other hand, a Clint Alleway gets paid PLENTY by the 'Tiges' and can also obtain/maintain a full time job. The reality is, he would be on similar wage (football and non-football combined) to a first year draftee. I'd dare say more!

Port rookies such as Kane Mitchell, Brent Renouf and Sammy Gray (prior to being upgraded) are on very minimal wages. IIRC it's somewhere around $60k. First year draftees are on very similar wages. Many of these players will make-up the SANFL squad. Including players who are fighting to stay on an AFL list.

So you've got to ask yourself the question. Does a Kane Mitchell leave the AFL system to obtain a full-time permanent job and receive a DECENT amount of $$$ at another SANFL club? Or does he keep his dream alive and play on the biggest stage for his current club?
I'd say the latter. Enter: Matty Thomas!

I can understand bay supporters being annoyed at a`homegrown ' player like Hitchcock playing against them, but thems the breaks when a SANFL player is drafted by one of the local AFL clubs.

There is also the possibility of course that a Hitchock or Logan eg could return to their original SANFL club when they are no longer on an AFL list, whereas those drafted by an interstate club sometimes never come `home.'

The big surprise to me ( so far ) is the extremely poor form of the tingle's magoos, and the good form of sturt.

Sturt, have in my opinion been the biggest benefactor of crow's players for years, and I doubt I'm the only football supporter who thought they would finish bottom this season.

we've had to put up with alot of port adelaide players playing against us, at clubs that despise the port adelaide way, and sometimes they were mistreated, so i couldnt care less that hitchcock or logan played against their original sides, players change clubs all the time. this hurt the development of our players and im glad those days are gone.
as far as the crows sanfl side goes, that was always set to struggle, its an absurd set up they have, no home games, no club structure, no reserves sanfl players, really poor sanfl list aside from their afl players, they wont win at all this year, until they play glenelg. glenelg are a disgrace to the competition.

Cr@p, this is hard to explain (hahaha). I'll try my best to not create headaches...

We're paying them based on their 'potential'. An 18/19/20 year old is drafted, and paid, on the condition he'll be an AFL standard player in the future. It's an investment for our AFL side not our SANFL side.

Cr@p, this is hard to explain (hahaha). I'll try my best to not create headaches...

We're paying them based on their 'potential'. An 18/19/20 year old is drafted, and paid, on the condition he'll be an AFL standard player in the future. It's an investment for our AFL side not our SANFL side.

In a market your only worth what someone is willing to pay for you no more no less, how you handle that is up to you, you have no restrictions on picking up a Matty Thomas or a young guy.

In a market your only worth what someone is willing to pay for you no more no less, how you handle that is up to you, you have no restrictions on picking up a Matty Thomas or a young guy.

We do. We only have limited spots on our list. We cannot afford to draft players such as Matty purely for our Maggies side. If we were to rookie Matty Thomas, we may not have picked up Sammy Gray. Who is now playing AFL and didn't play against Glenelg on the weekend.

In fact, my argument above pretty much sums up another reason why we're in the AFL. We wanted Port's best players playing at Port.
Now surely you would love to see Bryce Gibbs and Ben Kennedy still playing at the Bays?
- Local boys, came up through the juniors, love the club, etc. But ultimately, many human beings who are driven (such as these individuals) don't want to retire with "what if". In fact, i'd think Ross would be very disappointed in his son if he weren't to take on an AFL opportunity.
It would've hurt to see Sticks leave (for you) just as it hurt us to see Wangas leave (for us)

Bruce Abernethy, Dwyane Russell, Russel Ebert, Mark Williams, Craig Bradley, Gavin Wanganeen, etc...
At certain times, we lost these club legends because they wanted to test themselves at the ultimate level. Thankfully, our club had a similar mindset.

I'm sure our old mate grassrootsfooty wasn't complaining about salary caps when Logan, Hitchcock, Lyons etc were tearing it up for his side at a cost of $0 while AFL clubs paid their wages. We're not paying our players so they can play SANFL, we're playing them to play AFL. Don't get mad at us because the guys who aren't good enough to make our senior side are still good enough to beat Glenelg by 152 points in their spare time.

There is a place for a local league and if you wish it to diminish and not exist then you will see a drop in support for AFL as a sport.

LOL. It's cute that you think you and the rest of your vocal 'no AFL in the SANFL' minority have any substantial affect on the level of support for the AFL whatsoever. You'll note that we've recorded our highest ever membership tally by far this year, but thanks for your concern.

Hey grassrootsfooty, I think the SANFL has been compromised since the crows were formed.

The past 15 years the SANFL clubs have had the luxury of having one SANFL club (Magpies) participating at a complete disadvantage. Port had its football community split leaving an SANFL contingency of Magpies to survive with no asset base and direct revenue stream to match the revenue streams of clubs like the Bays and Centrals. Development suffered, depth suffered, etc ... lots could be said that you do not know and/or appreciate. My club at SANFL level was wrongly condemned to being a struggler for 15 years and I would have no issue with my club winning an SANFL flag in the future under this new structure ... which was still structured by the SANFL to disadvantage us still.

Maybe comparing the salary total of those AFL players that are still playing in the SANFL rather than the total AFL salary cap is closer to the truth. Granted it would still be greater of course but even then salaries are not the best comparison anyway as AFL salaries are over-inflated. A first year AFL player is getting paid a lot more than what your top Glenelg player is getting paid but it doesn't equate to that young AFL player (playing in the SANFL) being a ready made SANFL player.

At the end of the day, mature SANFL hardened players in the Glenelg squad played against a side that was stacked with very young inexperienced players.

The SANFL is not the same league since the crows and Port joined. Sadly SA's SANFL clubs are no longer top level apart from Port. Port is not to blame for it.

Didnt say you were cheating, I said you would be labelled cheaters

As long as your happy to take a premiership by playing a team with a collective salary of $2.5 million against a team that has a entire squad salary of $340000. Yes its within the rules that are set, I am not questioning that.

But please dont expect every other supporter not to think, consider, or even tell you about the fact you have this totally unfair advantage over their team every time you win. Its a fact not made up.

I'll be just as happy as I was in 98 and 99 when my club won premierships. Torn in half, stripped of a training ground and one half of its administration running out of a transportable at Ethelton, all because of your pissant local league real footy clubs. It wasn't fair then and well it isn't fair for some now.

Life's a bitch and some times it ain't easy.

Geez I feel sorry for the poor kid who started the thread. Hijacked by some old coot out of nowhere. lol.

hi so I just moved to adelaide this year and I support collingwood magpies and obviously im missing out on a lot of games that I would see if I was in melbourne, so I kinda was looking at port magpies and the possibility on going to a few of those games as im not going to be supporting another afl club other though port magpies apparently is pretty much port power. anyway I was wondering if port magpies fans feel about this as I know port and collingwood and kind of rivals because of sharing the same colours and mascot. but is there anyone else who supports collingwood and port magpies and not port power, all I know is just my new maths teacher who supports port magpies and collingwood but then changed to port power when they came into the afl.

or should I just go for another sanfl team and if so which one? I do live near glenelg, and is it just port and adelaide that are affiliated with afl teams?
also do you say sanfl like sanfull or do you say the letters as S A N F L
Yes Port would be a good choice - same colours and nickname as Collingwood. Will win more games than they lose. Lots of Colingwood fans in SA also support the Port Magpies.

grassrootsfooty has probably done enough to put you off following Glenelg. They are the Melbourne Demons of the SANFL comp anyway.

So I take it from that you agree its unfair that two teams can pay a ridiculous amount more to its players than teir opposition

As for your question about voting it in , dont worry the real true local league supporters from Glenelg and other clubs have asked their chiefs this. But it falls on deaf ears, talk about a competition that runs two different rules. I dont care about entering into the AFL and never will so dont come back saying better your club and yourself. I am happy to support the local league and for Glenelg to stay in it.

There is a place for a local league and if you wish it to diminish and not exist then you will see a drop in support for AFL as a sport.

Look when youre bleating the only tune youre listening to then one has to ask "whats the point of pursuing this line of enquiry?" We are not going to see it from your point of view.
Our history is not the same as yours we come from a footy culture that for all intents and purpose has driven our lives. Its not a weekend sport for us. This club is like family. We see it differently, our ambition and aspiration to be who we are today is an asset let me repeat that word because only South Australian supporters of the other teams fail to recognise the most valuable asset to the SANFL IS OUR CLUB and ITS HISTORY OF WINNING. I dont expect you to understand from the far away grasslands that you have isolated your view from.........but seriously it is laughable to think that we are going to join you in your miserable thin bleat. Its just not going to happen so cut the enquiry.

Here have a smiley face

:)

Look when youre bleating the only tune youre listening to then one has to ask "whats the point of pursuing this line of enquiry?" We are not going to see it from your point of view.
Our history is not the same as yours we come from a footy culture that for all intents and purpose has driven our lives. Its not a weekend sport for us. This club is like family. We see it differently, our ambition and aspiration to be who we are today is an asset let me repeat that word because only South Australian supporters of the other teams fail to recognise the most valuable asset to the SANFL IS OUR CLUB and ITS HISTORY OF WINNING. I dont expect you to understand from the far away grasslands that you have isolated your view from.........but seriously it is laughable to think that we are going to join you in your miserable thin bleat. Its just not going to happen so cut the enquiry.

Here have a smiley face

:)

Hahahahah, I know your baiting me but I will respond anyway

Are you Kidding, your 50000 supporters are true Port Maggpie supporters (YEEAAHHH), 40000 of them have never seen the Port Magpies, yeah such loyal supporters that support a club and know the true meaning of GRASS ROOTS FOOTY and not manufactured franchise like you are now. Have you bled for your club, because I certainly have, having played for Glenelg, all be it up to U/18's and have played football all my life for a local club. So talk footy culture you are joking me. I have 40000 reasons to consider your made up franshise with its sanitised approach and marketing strategies. If you pushed to have a stand alone Magpies seperate from the made up world of huge corporate $ with professional staff, I may actually consider your club a true footy club. But as it sits when the AFL has their meetings which you are part of and tells your club of their progress of going to the USA to understand how their FRANCHISE SYSTEM works and how they are adopting the same approach, and you sit here and tell me how you are more of a true football club than the likes of West Adelaide, Glenelg, South Adelaide, Centrals, Sturt, WWT, Norwood or North Adelaide, fair dinkum give me a break. Its great being around a footy club that has trainers who are there on a Tuesday and Thursday night that do it for the love of the club and dont get paid a cracker and have people running water, again that are unpaid and genuinly enjoy being in the mix with the players. So to say its a wekend thing, no that is what it is for Power supporters. I actually feel sorry for the true Port Adelaide supporters and people of the club that put their time into the club free of charge and were looking for nothing in return and are left with the shell of a club and their memories as it has been taken over by a Corporate identity. Those supporters will never get that feeling of a family so you may not be one of these supporters and one of those 40000 supporters who know nothing of being part of a real footy club

Please realise I couldnt give a flying F*** about the AFL, I went to a game in the 1990's and havent been to one since, I watch it on the box and thats it but prefer going to the local league. I would rather go watch PHOS play on a Saturday arvo than go to the AFL. You are not arguing with a crows supporter here you are talking with someone who actually enjoys true local footy something 90% of your manufactured supporter base knows nothing off or havent been exposed to. To say that Port Maqgpies supporters are the only people in SA to have this you are a total goose.

Lol and this is further proof of you and your SANFL club loser mentality. Your lack of forward thinking has done you wonders.

Enjoy rotting in a feeder comp while we move from strength to strength.

You couldn't give a flying * about AFL, well we couldn't give a flying F
* about Glenelg or any other loser club floundering in the local comp.

Nah

Didnt miss it, was there.

You think how people still talk about The GF when Wayne Harms knocked the ball back into play against collingwood 30 years later and how Collingwood were robbed of a Premiership. Imagine the talk or disgust (most normal people wont even recognise the victory) in Port using a $2.5 Million dollar salary cap on an SANFL team when the opposition get to use $340000 on an entire SANFL squad. Im sure you if you do win a GF, it will be labelled a totally cheated premiership victory for the next 100 years. As long as you can defend the right to pay 1000 percent of a salary cap of your opposition unless you play the crows , all good.

I never understand this. Going by this, last year both Sturt and Norwood would have been about 5 times over the salary cap most weeks. Tambling alone would have been on nearly double Sturts salary cap. Port, Central and WWT as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Romantic village football post

Its a wonderful life, isn't it? But it is not for everyone with volunteer trainers and the club bbq and the like. If you aspire to more, and we do aspire to more at Port Adelaide, you have to be professional. I mean, you have to bear in mind that we at Port Adelaide were over the SANFL part time grass roots footy world 25 years ago and were ready, eager even to move on. It's the SANFL, made of Glenelg and clubs like you, that have kept us involved- you could have just let us go in 1990.

And if you'd done that, accepted that Port Adelaide were on a different path, you wouldn't have endured what you did on the weekend.

Lol and this is further proof of you and your SANFL club loser mentality. Your lack of forward thinking has done you wonders.

Enjoy rotting in a feeder comp while we move from strength to strength.

You couldn't give a flying **** about AFL, well we couldn't give a flying F
**** about Glenelg or any other loser club floundering in the local comp.

Fine if you dont give a Flying F*** about the local comp, leave it, go, vanish, no-one wants you
As you can see it doesnt concern me, stick to the AFL be a Franchise of a Corporate Organistation with the 40000 Fake supporters with your Fake club, but for some reason, you consider yourself a die hard football follower. s**t if you dont get your reserved seat or someone doesnt put a lid on your plastic cup all hell will break loose, and god forbid if you have to sit next to an opposition supporter.When Im not rotting in the local comp standing on the Hill on a Friday night, s**t I might even have a bit of banter with the opposition and wont complain about it.

You make me laugh, saying I have a SANFL loser mentatility, when you support a corporate organisation more worried about stadium deals, TV rights, Expansion of more teams. Guess what, that isnt what a real football club is about, wake up smell the roses!!!!

Tell me Im wrong putting my opinions on a SANFL board, Im happy to respond to someone giving me s**t about how poorly my team performed on a weekend.

Its a wonderful life, isn't it? But it is not for everyone with volunteer trainers and the club bbq and the like. If you aspire to more, and we do aspire to more at Port Adelaide, you have to be professional. I mean, you have to bear in mind that we at Port Adelaide were over the SANFL part time grass roots footy world 25 years ago and were ready, eager even to move on. It's the SANFL, made of Glenelg and clubs like you, that have kept us involved- you could have just let us go in 1990.

And if you'd done that, accepted that Port Adelaide were on a different path, you wouldn't have endured what you did on the weekend.

Again I dont hold the same views of making Port stay. I would be happy for the Magpies to go their seperate ways and the crows also, if they dont play by the same rules as the rest of the comp. The question is would the real die hard supporters be happy to leave the SANFL, Koch wasnt, he wants to remain in the SANFL, you may not agree with your clubs wants and want to leave it! I dont agree with Glenelg supporting the Crows and Power proposal, but I will still support my club!

Holy s**t I hope we win the $ANFL flag this year, this is delicious.
We might as well.

If we don't, we get "INTEGRITY IS GONE, they aren't taking it seriously wah wah wah", and if we do, we get "NOT FAIR THEY'VE GOT MORE CELERY!!1!!!!1!1!"

So * it, lets paint the chimney. :thumbsu:

Haha reading this thread just made my day. Try telling a 50 year old in Victoria that the club he's followed since the 1960's is a corporate franchise, a fake and that his club isn't real, because he can't drive out to the suburbs to stand in his favourite spot in the rain anymore and has to put up with being in a covered stadium week after week paying $8.50 for a beer but guess what, he's supporting a club that 50 years ago was in a state competition and is now in a national competition, just like ours.

So why were you happy for Glenelg to breach the SANFL salary cap last year with Logan, Hitchcock, Lyons, Clurey etc?

All 9 SANFL clubs were under the same guidlines, they all had the opportunity to pick up AFL listed players equally with the lower clubs getting 1st choice, I dont need to explain this. If you dont understand how this was set up then I dont know what to tell you.

As for the advantage of the AFL players and the fact they are a great deal better than part timers is proven

Sydney Reserves won the NSW league
Brisbane Lions won the Queensland League
Geelong won the VFL
West Coast 2nd in WAFL (Just commenced in that league )

Seems a bit of a pattern or is it just a coincidence that having AFL players who are paid some ridiculous amount more than your opposition are winning every league in the country

All 9 SANFL clubs were under the same guidlines, they all had the opportunity to pick up AFL listed players equally with the lower clubs getting 1st choice, I dont need to explain this. If you dont understand how this was set up then I dont know what to tell you.

As for the advantage of the AFL players and the fact they are a great deal better than part timers is proven

Sydney Reserves won the NSW league
Brisbane Lions won the Queensland League
Geelong won the VFL
West Coast 2nd in WAFL (Just commenced in that league )

Seems a bit of a pattern or is it just a coincidence that having AFL players who are paid some ridiculous amount more than your opposition are winning every league in the country

Well maybe if the SANFL and other state leagues were able to stand on their own two feet and survive without the AFL and its clubs constantly pouring money into them, the AFL would free up enough money to be able to afford to fund a proper reserves league and we could leave you and your pissant competition behind. Until then, know your place in the pecking order. The only reason the SANFL hasn't folded is because of AFL funding, so you'll have to deal with making some concessions for the sake of the AFL and the SA AFL clubs who are the only reason your club still exists.

Haha reading this thread just made my day. Try telling a 50 year old in Victoria that the club he's followed since the 1960's is a corporate franchise, a fake and that his club isn't real, because he can't drive out to the suburbs to stand in his favourite spot in the rain anymore and has to put up with being in a covered stadium week after week paying $8.50 for a beer but guess what, he's supporting a club that 50 years ago was in a state competition and is now in a national competition, just like ours.

I reckon a few 50 year old Victorians that have volunteered as trainers, runners , Time keppers, worked on BBQ's in their younger days, and have a look at some of these multi million turnover organisations, may just consider its not a club anymore with real people who did things because of the love of the club.

Well maybe if the SANFL and other state leagues were able to stand on their own two feet and survive without the AFL and its clubs constantly pouring money into them, the AFL would free up enough money to be able to afford to fund a proper reserves league and we could leave you and your pissant competition behind. Until then, know your place in the pecking order. The only reason the SANFL hasn't folded is because of AFL funding, so you'll have to deal with making some concessions for the sake of the AFL and the SA AFL clubs who are the only reason your club still exists.

Wrong way around mate, if they let the local leagues die, the growth of the sport will go backwards, the one reason the AFL will pour money into it. And how ironic the only reason they want their league to grow is for the next Billion dollar Television right not because they love footy like so many of your posters claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back