Surely an Al Clarkson congratulatory thread is in order.

Who is the greatest AFL coach of the past 10 years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Eade and Harvey are all that bad tbh but definitely no Clarko

I'm okay with Eade, but it was more the words "stinging criticism" that caught my attention

Which media people were criticising the great man, and what do they say now?

To my shame I wrote this bloke off in 2009 and 2010. It really did look to me as if he was out of ideas and struggling to adapt after the zone had been dismantled.

Well history has proven I've rarely been more wrong about anyone. Not only did he re-invent the gameplan around precision kicking and player versatility but he's also since developed young talent like Suckling, Shiels, Langford, Smith and Hill, guys who are essential to our new system.
He's also overseen the strengthening of the teams fitness, both mental and physical, from a side which lost a huge amount of close games in the early years after 2008 to one which is as formidable as any.

Of course we already know, but its worth mentioning again that he took a side horribly reliant on the greatest player of his generation to one which actually performed better without him. The word masterstroke gets bandied around too often in football, but I think we've finally found a worthy home for it.

On behalf of Hawthorn supporters everywhere I just wanted to say Thankyou Al Clarkson (and all your assistants) for doing such a remarkable job. As far as I'm concerned the job's yours for life mate.

As I recall you and other were weekly calling for his sacking and of course there was Kennett in round 1 of 2012 after a less than a goal defeat to the reining premier calling for his head

SO yes

there should be a congratulatory thread to Al Clarkson.

And I will back him everyday of the week over every single poster in this forum

we got a good one

His game plan will change over summer to a new one some think stopping ports run I think or will we be adding pace to our side in the draft. Eg O'Rourke

To my shame I wrote this bloke off in 2009 and 2010. It really did look to me as if he was out of ideas and struggling to adapt after the zone had been dismantled.

Well history has proven I've rarely been more wrong about anyone. Not only did he re-invent the gameplan around precision kicking and player versatility but he's also since developed young talent like Suckling, Shiels, Langford, Smith and Hill, guys who are essential to our new system.
He's also overseen the strengthening of the teams fitness, both mental and physical, from a side which lost a huge amount of close games in the early years after 2008 to one which is as formidable as any.

Of course we already know, but its worth mentioning again that he took a side horribly reliant on the greatest player of his generation to one which actually performed better without him. The word masterstroke gets bandied around too often in football, but I think we've finally found a worthy home for it.

On behalf of Hawthorn supporters everywhere I just wanted to say Thankyou Al Clarkson (and all your assistants) for doing such a remarkable job. As far as I'm concerned the job's yours for life mate.
putin.gif

The thing is too, when the premiership window closes, probably 2016, then we may be tempted to want a fresh start by bringing someone else in but at the same time, Clarkson already has so many runs on the board with developing players before and now, that'd he be the perfect guy to develop youngsters in the future as the cycle repeats.

Never let him go! :p

Was reading the last page of the opposition thread and clarko was talked about.

I was talking with a mate about the great man a couple of nights ago over a beer and a punt and he said "I would love to see Clarko coach another club and see if he can do it again"?

I agreed I'd like to see it, but added "not right now, the guy is a genius".

I just get the feeling he is on the verge of legendary status not just at Hawthorn, but in a broader sense.

He has rebuilt the club from ground up, and returned the "swagger" us fans had in the 80's. He surrounded himself with capable people he trusted and has learnt from his mistakes while not wavering on his beliefs and philosophies on life and football.

This off-season after our GF victory I've reflected on our club and the journey we've had over the last 10 years and couldn't be happier. But it's not only the success that has made me feel this. It's more the respect and esteem our club is held in now and how it has changed from those dark days in 1996-2004.
Destination Club is not a made up term. A friend of mine who was invited to a function where Graham Wright and other big hitters in the AFL were present and the term was emphasised, and reiterated by a player manager when speaking about the Hawthorn Football Club.

It's this kind of stuff that makes me proud and happy, the flags are a bonus.

Was reading the last page of the opposition thread and clarko was talked about.

I was talking with a mate about the great man a couple of nights ago over a beer and a punt and he said "I would love to see Clarko coach another club and see if he can do it again"?

I agreed I'd like to see it, but added "not right now, the guy is a genius".

I just get the feeling he is on the verge of legendary status not just at Hawthorn, but in a broader sense.

He has rebuilt the club from ground up, and returned the "swagger" us fans had in the 80's. He surrounded himself with capable people he trusted and has learnt from his mistakes while not wavering on his beliefs and philosophies on life and football.

This off-season after our GF victory I've reflected on our club and the journey we've had over the last 10 years and couldn't be happier. But it's not only the success that has made me feel this. It's more the respect and esteem our club is held in now and how it has changed from those dark days in 1996-2004.
Destination Club is not a made up term. A friend of mine who was invited to a function where Graham Wright and other big hitters in the AFL were present and the term was emphasised, and reiterated by a player manager when speaking about the Hawthorn Football Club.

It's this kind of stuff that makes me proud and happy, the flags are a bonus.

Doesn't need to do it at another club. He's rebuilt us from the ground up and also rejuvenated the list after the 2008 premiership success. Only 6 players from 2008 premiership played in the 2014 Grand Final. And his work is far from over. Already with Frawley and O'Rourke we are tweaking our side again to achieve more success. He can go to another club if he wants but he doesn't need to, he's proven himself already.

I was interested to read that Sam Mitchell says that we will see something completely revolutionary in the upcoming International rules game. If Clarko can come up with something different and get a win for the Aussies it will further enhance his genius status. I wasn't interested in this game before but now my interest is piqued.

Funnily enough, the harder he works, the luckier Clarko seems to get. And he's probably the hardest working coach in the business, continually striving to better himself for the benefit of the team. Not enough accolades have been given to Clarko by the media but I'm sure he's held in high enough esteem within the club.

i'm greatful Clarko threw away the kicking backwards, ultra-defensive game plan we had in 2009-2010, those 2 years game plans were painful to watch, but since then we have been an attacking monster of a team and most people like watching our type of football, Clarko has been great for the majority of his time at HFC........

also love seeing his passion in the coaching box, when he looks like he doesnt care we usually don't perform, so angry Clarko = successful Clarko from what i've noticed.......

TIMELINE OF THE CLARKSON APPOINTMENT

July 20, 2004:
Coach Peter Schwab sacked by Hawthorn, but agrees to coach out the remaining six games of the season

July 26: Schwab steps down as coach two days after the Hawks' 80-point loss to North Melbourne, with Donald McDonald announced as caretaker coach

August 5: Terry Wallace interviewed by Hawthorn's full 10-man board

August 10: Wallace announced as Richmond coach

August 12: Neil Craig announced as Adelaide coach. The Age Journalist Jake Niall writes: "In a coaches' market, fortune favours the decisive. The Hawks, like their team, haven't been quick enough off the mark."

August 14: Herald Sun chief football writer Mike Sheahan is also critical of the Hawks' approach to appointing their coach: "Hawthorn is botching the task of finding a replacement for Peter Schwab, the coach it dumped four weeks ago."

August 16: Rodney Eade announced as Bulldogs coach. Late that night, Eade cancels a scheduled interview with Hawthorn the following morning

August 18: Ayres interviewed by Hawthorn

August 24-27: Hawthorn conducts more first-round interviews, with Clarkson, Hawks caretaker coach Donald McDonald and, reportedly, Sydney Swans assistant John Longmire, St Kilda assistant Matt Rendell, Geelong assistant Daryn Cresswell, West Adelaide SANFL coach Shaun Rehn and Box Hill Hawks coach Andy Collins.

August 29: The Hawks lose their last game of the season to Geelong by 65 points with caretaker coach Donald McDonald at the helm. They finish the season with four wins and 18 losses.

September 6: Clarkson interviews with Hawthorn for the second time

September 8: Clarkson announced as Hawthorn coach

TIMELINE OF THE CLARKSON APPOINTMENT

July 20, 2004:
Coach Peter Schwab sacked by Hawthorn, but agrees to coach out the remaining six games of the season

July 26: Schwab steps down as coach two days after the Hawks' 80-point loss to North Melbourne, with Donald McDonald announced as caretaker coach

August 5: Terry Wallace interviewed by Hawthorn's full 10-man board

August 10: Wallace announced as Richmond coach

August 12: Neil Craig announced as Adelaide coach. The Age Journalist Jake Niall writes: "In a coaches' market, fortune favours the decisive. The Hawks, like their team, haven't been quick enough off the mark."

August 14: Herald Sun chief football writer Mike Sheahan is also critical of the Hawks' approach to appointing their coach: "Hawthorn is botching the task of finding a replacement for Peter Schwab, the coach it dumped four weeks ago."

August 16: Rodney Eade announced as Bulldogs coach. Late that night, Eade cancels a scheduled interview with Hawthorn the following morning

August 18: Ayres interviewed by Hawthorn

August 24-27: Hawthorn conducts more first-round interviews, with Clarkson, Hawks caretaker coach Donald McDonald and, reportedly, Sydney Swans assistant John Longmire, St Kilda assistant Matt Rendell, Geelong assistant Daryn Cresswell, West Adelaide SANFL coach Shaun Rehn and Box Hill Hawks coach Andy Collins.

August 29: The Hawks lose their last game of the season to Geelong by 65 points with caretaker coach Donald McDonald at the helm. They finish the season with four wins and 18 losses.

September 6: Clarkson interviews with Hawthorn for the second time

September 8: Clarkson announced as Hawthorn coach

As Aesop would have it....Tortoise trumps hare every time....Journo's, don't ya just luv em.o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back