Suspended past and present Essendon players may need AFL approval to play NAB Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Grimes

Premiership Player
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...approval-to-play-nab-cup-20150123-12x5yk.html

Interesting. With the length of the tribunal hearing and it coming to a decision, it can make complications for Essendon preparing for the season or even the season proper.

Even if ASADA and the AFL Commission grants permission for them to play (which I personally think they will), it will bring complications on two fronts if they are found guilty. Firstly, it's unknown if allowing the players to play will affect things such as when the Ban period officially starts. Secondly, getting any replacement players on short notice.

Last edited:

bing181

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2009
Paris
AFL Club
Melbourne
Even if ASADA and the AFL Commission grants permission for them to play (which I personally think they will), it will bring complications on two fronts if they are found guilty. Firstly, it's unknown if allowing the players to play will affect things such as when the Ban period officially starts. Secondly, getting any replacement players on short notice.

Hard to see how playing in the NAB cup would do anything except extend the ban period. Recent precedent was with cyclist Diego Ulissi. After returning a positive, he was withdrawn from racing. But during a lengthy investigative process, he was allowed (by his team and the rules) to return for some races. When a 9 month ban was subsequently announced, while it was backdated to the positive result date, they added back in those extra racing days.

By my understanding of the rules and how they're applied everywhere else, the Essendon players shouldn't even be training, let alone playing official club matches. Sooner or later, the AFL is going to have to bite the bullet here.

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Should be no problem, Ex Cronulla players who refused the ASADA deal or alternatively were not offered it are still playing.

FootyGeek

Premiership Player
Feb 6, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
The other part of the article is the possibility of the players not playing while an appeals process is underway.

Noticed the other day that Essendon doesn't start the Nob challenge until March 7, the last club to start, so late that their opponent (St Kilda) is actually playing it's second game. I doubt this is a coincidence, especially as it means they play 3 games in 13 days (so much for a gentle warmup schedule).

I think by the way it *should* work, the players couldn't play, although I think there has been enough turnover that they could still field a team (not sure how good/balanced it'd be, but enough players would run out).

If they do let them play (I'm sure the AFL could spin some excuse), then either the ban clock restarts then or (more likely) that fortnight (or whatever) wont count towards their suspension period (which could actually work out as a way to give them 6 months that actually has a little more bite to it).

rose jam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
They shouldn't be allowed to be involved in any official capacity at the moment including attending official training sessions. AFL have really been able to help them out here

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
They shouldn't be allowed to be involved in any official capacity at the moment including attending official training sessions. AFL have really been able to help them out here
I agree - the provisional ban is bullshit if they're allowed to play in international rules series, preseason games etc. training, well, I don't mind so much.

who the hell cares about knob cup.

players are probably happy if they don't play in it

onemancyclone

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
WADA
AFL is a signatory of WADA, except the suspensions bit. But the government funding bit s**t they're all over that.

Frank Grimes

Premiership Player
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond
Back on topic after that earlier rant. Posted a few days ago that whether players are found guilty or not, that EFC's performance in 2015, may be impacted. I have already written off the season.

If the players miss the NAB challenge it would interfere with the preparation of the season, but I think it's a bit much to write the season off. It may mean that the players aren't "match fit" going into the season but it will just end up being a speed bump rather than a road block as the season goes by.(This is assuming that the players are found not guilty by the Tribunal).

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon

Like was mentioned in another thread I think they are allowed to train under provisional suspension but not compete. If there is a finding against them then then won't be able to train while going through the appeals process. Not the best evidence but it does get a mention in this article as well as claiming that the guys playing in the NTFL are not playing under a provisional suspension.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rthern-territory/story-fni5f6kv-1227138217898

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...approval-to-play-nab-cup-20150123-12x5yk.html

Interesting. With the length of the tribunal hearing and it coming to a decision, it can make complications for Essendon preparing for the season or even the season proper.

It's entirely up to the AFL as to whether the players serve provisional suspensions while the case is being heard by the tribunal, ASADA has nothing to do with it.

If there are bans, all it means is that the period during which the players continued playing would not be counted.

But note - Cronulla's period of "suspension" included the whole season (which they had just played in) bar the last three games, which ended up being the true length of their suspension.

It is also worth reminding us of this provision in the AFL anti-doping code:

(a) Delays Not Attributable to the Athlete or other Person
Where there have been substantial delays in the hearing process or other aspects
of Doping Control not attributable to the Player or other Person, the Tribunal
determining the sanction may start the period of Ineligibility at an earlier date
commencing as early as the date of Sample collection or the date on which
another Anti-Doping Rule Violation last occurred.

Perry Pie

All Australian
Sep 19, 2009
Liverpool
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Besiktas J.K.
What is "provisional suspension" if you get paid, are allowed to train with the team in full and play in international and other offical matches? What effect has the provisional suspension had to date on the players concerned? Does anyone here have the full offical list of those provisionally suspended?

Some may say the provisional suspension does not exist except in the PR around this. Allowing them the play might support that view.

If the players miss the NAB challenge it would interfere with the preparation of the season, but I think it's a bit much to write the season off. It may mean that the players aren't "match fit" going into the season but it will just end up being a speed bump rather than a road block as the season goes by.(This is assuming that the players are found not guilty by the Tribunal).

Essendon is not that good to miss a chunk of preseason - Bear in mind that there has been a core group of 10 to 12 players who are stuck in the modified group and one or two who can't get into the modified group. This is assuming that players are found guilty.

Essendon is not that good to miss a chunk of preseason - Bear in mind that there has been a core group of 10 to 12 players who are stuck in the modified group and one or two who can't get into the modified group. This is assuming that players are found guilty.

If found guilty (ie, move from 'provisionally' suspended to actually suspended), they wont be able to train with the team either.

Unless the appeals board allows it (which it is empowered to do within the AFL anti-doping code).

Possible, but standard appeals procedure is to assume the previous verdict stands unless there is a fairly compelling reason not to (a point of no return type issue, not a case related one).

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Possible, but standard appeals procedure is to assume the previous verdict stands unless there is a fairly compelling reason not to (a point of no return type issue, not a case related one).

You might be right, I'm simply stating what is in the AFL anti-doping code (which may or may not align with normal practice).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back