Injury Swan out for month (was "... battling heel and wrist issues, Body all banged up")

Nicco_jj

Bigfooty Kid
Apr 27, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Title says it all.

Garry Lyon has gone out and said that it is "absolute fact" that Swan is very injured.
Collingwood denies it but Garry said they can deny it all they want - it's fact!

Make of that what you will!

I say send him to surgery, upgrade Martin and see him next year.

:)

Leigh Lowther

All Australian
Apr 20, 2013
Elsternwick
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm actually really baffled as to why hes currently playing. Its very clear he is in bad shape judging by his slow ball handling and awkward movement. I can't see him playing another season, as much as a good player hes been for the club.

Nicco_jj

Bigfooty Kid
Apr 27, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Just realised I wrote heal instead of heel? Heel is the foot spelling yeah?

Anyways...

Needs surgery. Martin must be upgraded. Play kids for the rest of the year. When Scharenberg and Freeman are ready, bring em in.

Just realised I wrote heal instead of heel? Heel is the foot spelling yeah?

Anyways...

Needs surgery. Martin must be upgraded. Play kids for the rest of the year. When Scharenberg and Freeman are ready, bring em in.

Yeah.

But technically he's not healing* so the title works well.

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I just think its old age getting to him

The point is valid and I think it could be a combination of injuries, wear and tear and older age. He may be 'banged up' as Gary Lyon calls it but things like his wrists may never get any better than they are and joint complaints like ankles, knees, hips are often wear and tear based and don't come good.

If anything could be done you'd have to be thinking about packing him up for the year but perhaps its more that not much can be done. If so, it might even be Swanny's last year.

Bailey01

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Tennis
Sorry for the intrusion
I certainly hope it's injury issues because the whole football world don't want to see Swan declining so quickly. I would agree with some of your posters is if he is injured let him have surgery and get him ready for a big 2015. Don't want this year to ruin his reputation.
Cya guys

MagpieBat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Ruby
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL, #TeamBatman
As others have said, get him in for surgery, or otherwise just wrap him in cotton wool and pack him away for the year.

He might be closer to the end than the beginning, but he surely still has some good footy left in him? Why sign him for another 2 years otherwise?

Don't shorten what's left of Swanny's career, Buckley. Get the champ rested and right for what is supposed to be the year we make a genuine crack at it - 2015!

We have no access to the inner workings of the club. Its possible Swan, being a competitive beast, has wanted to play through his injuries, for the benefit of the team. And the Devil Incarnate - sorry I mean Bucks - agreed to it. If that was the scenario, that is now looking like a bad call. I also have no issue with the club not admitting to injuries for players on the field. That just exposes them to idiots and snipers.

Winston_Smith

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
The assumption here is that surgery fixes everything. Often - especially at his age - it don't. He had surgery to correct the wrist issue already, and went through all the appropriate rehab, but his ball handling has clearly been adversely affected. The same may be true for surgery to correct any suspected ankle issues. Sad as I am to say it, we may never see the Great Dane at his best on the field ever again.

Wackajack

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2011
Darwin
AFL Club
Collingwood
If he was carrying an injury that may be fixed with surgery he would be going to get surgery or already would have. I personally think old age has caught up to Swanny really quickly, he's career could be extended by turning him into a forward, which i think they're trying to do but he might not have the desire to do it. Who really knows, and Garry Lyon would know no more than me or you.

Why put him out for surgery?

Even injured Swan was better than about 12 of our players on the weekend, so you want to put one of our best 10 players out for surgery just because he's playing injured?

* that, we are still fighting for a finals spot so until we can't mathematically make the finals keep playing him, because an injured Dane Swan is better than about 35 players we have on our list.

Why put him out for surgery?

Even injured Swan was better than about 12 of our players on the weekend, so you want to put one of our best 10 players out for surgery just because he's playing injured?

**** that, we are still fighting for a finals spot so until we can't mathematically make the finals keep playing him, because an injured Dane Swan is better than about 35 players we have on our list.

Because we are not getting the output from him we need & the injuries certainly aren't getting better.
Didn't lay any tackles & didn't trouble the scorers. Disposed of the footy at 55% for his 20 disposals. in his current state of fitness he is not a legitimate threat up forward & god knows we have enough forwards doing bugger all as it is. It's strange that we have been ultra conservative with our players injuries this year. Giving guys extra weeks when probably not required, yet we may be doing a disservice to Swanny by not getting him right. If Swanny is not 100% right come round 1 next season because we kept him out there doing nothing uneccessarily, then the club needs a good foot up the arse.

Last edited:
The plaudits and accolades are great, but he's playing like s**t and the club is trying to hide him in the forward line where he is having no influence on the game. It's time to rehabilitate him or drop him. We have more to gain by getting games into Broomhead, Kennedy, Thomas and Adams at this stage.

Pies_10

Premiership Player
May 29, 2007
Rosebud,Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal, Baltimore Ravens
Then why play him, nowadays an injured Swan isn't better than a young kid.
Let him rest, it's hard to watch him plod around the ground and looking old.
I hope he is injured then it will explain his year, otherwise his done.

Back