Swanee - 250 games, The last of the larrikans

Remove this Banner Ad

2015-07-06_102940.jpg

According to the web site he has played 249 games and Thursday should be his 250.
A very loyal Collingwood player, loyalty shown to him and as he has stated, will never play for another club.
We must win this game for him and also to keep any finals aspirations alive.

One of my favourite memories was when he rubbed his tummy when kicking that goal after being called fat.

Any others?

This Thursday night, the immortal, the epic, the amazing Dane Swan will become only the 12th Collingwood player to reach 250 games for this great club.

Here's the other 11;

Tony Shaw, Gordon Coventry, Wayne Richardson, Len Thompson, Scott Burns, Jock McHale, Nathan Buckley, Gavin Brown, Harry Collier, Lou Richards and Peter Daicos.

WOW WHAT A LIST, and now Swanny joins them.

CONGRATULATIONS DANE SWAN.

:):D:thumbsu::fire::footy::hearts:

Are you sure? I swear he was on 232 at the start of the season
If Patrick Keane tweets it, it's official;

@AFL_PKeane: Rd15 upcoming AFL milestones:
5 goals - Lance Franklin to reach 700 career goals (21st man ever).
250 games – Luke McPharlin, Dane Swan.

Love you Swanny..one of my all time favourite players. In the top 3.

Thank you for your loyal service and for always giving 100%.

Hope you stay involved at the Pies in some capacity forever.

Still somewhat underrated, even by some of our own supporters, players like Swanny are very rare.

My fav player. Will be very sad when he retires.

My fav Swanny moments is any time you see him really pumped up. Most look at Swanny as a laid back guy, but he cares. You can see it in the big games.

Watch the 2010 GF when he kicks the goal, or in that 2013 final we lost to Port see how pumped he gets.

Or the little things, when he gave Sinkers his first goal in AFL football, or the little pass over to Didak against West Coast in 2013 (I think).

His 2010/11/12 were massive - enough to be talked about in the same sentence as Judd and Ablett IMO.
6 votes off a Brownlow in 2010
5 votes off a Brownlow in 2012 - had he not been suspended for drinking, who knows...
2 votes off a Brownlow in 2013

True legend of our club. I think he will go on in 2016 and may just have one more crack in 2017. 300 games is not out of the question.

I really hope so jmac, and I think he will still contribute to the team. He has stated on numerous occasions that he plays for the big games and to win premierships. If our window opens next year, he might just want to get the title of "dual premiership player" :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2012, stats wise, his season was crazy.

I remember I was keeping up with stats back then, and he was averaging about 36 a game for a large chunk of that season.

I really hope so jmac, and I think he will still contribute to the team. He has stated on numerous occasions that he plays for the big games and to win premierships. If our window opens next year, he might just want to get the title of "dual premiership player" :D

Absolutely. There is a perception that Swanny is not that dedicated to footy but he is as competitive as any player. If the chance of another flag is there and his body is good he could well go on.

One of our greats. And an all time favourite. Let's get a nice win and atleast show more than essendon did for their modern day playing champ.

Just a brilliant footballer. One of the very best in my time anyways.

At his peak, he was quick, hard and his judgement of the ball in flight made him very deceptive in the air. Has plucked some gorgeous grabs in his time and I have always said he could've been a 50+ goal, full time forward.

Love this man. Must win for him.

I think that one of the things that really does stand out for me is that he is also a very fair player, don't think he has ever been up to the tribunal either as an instigator or as a casualty. Shows the respect he has. I wonder whether he sledges?

I think that one of the things that really does stand out for me is that he is also a very fair player, don't think he has ever been up to the tribunal either as an instigator or as a casualty. Shows the respect he has. I wonder whether he sledges?
Not entirely true.
He has faced the tribunal.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ibunal-challenge/story-e6frepf6-1226401538321

But as you say, no thuggery from a fellow who looks like you would not like to meet in a dark alley.

If he does I'm sure it's very funny :p

Easily my favourite current player and probably all time favourite. Will be sad to see him go in 2017/2018. Will definitely play next year.

He definitely does. There was a vid on the AFL website last year about who is the best sledger. I believe Swanny says to some opponents when they line up on him "Who are you?" and near the end of the game "You were close to best on ground today....about 2 metres away!"

Here is one from Darren Jolly article. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ted-differently-to-sledge-20130507-2j5v7.html

"Dane Swan is another example. I'm a big believer in the idea that if you are going to put it out there and sledge players, then you have to be able to back it up - and Swanny can certainly do that. He can give out a sledge then turn around and have 40 possessions or kick four goals.

I often hear him telling players trying to tag him, ''Stop playing mate, you're no good'', or ''What's your name spud?'' or ''What time does training finish?'' He can get away with it because he is so talented. Who is going to argue?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back