Swann's Song: The Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if this is the relevant thread but on the latest fancast they mentioned another coach is
Coming on board as a development coach.Surely it's Brown? Does anyone have a list of coaches we have? We must have quite a few floating around nowadays compared to the Angus era.
Its Dan Daley from Richmond.

Plus Danny Daly is apparently our midfield stoppages coach
Shane Woey is going to be the Neafl coach while Gary O'Donnell is going back to the senior coaching panel. Per the club.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lions-ask-afl-for-3m--for-footy-and-debt-20140910-10f0o2.html

The Brisbane Lions have requested $3 million from the AFL to enable them to fund their football operations and shore up their troubled finances, and expect to find out next week whether their bid is successful.

The Lions, who have a debt of $12 million and will make a loss of close to $3 million, have presented a 2015 budget in which they would likely have the lowest football spend in the competition, a staggering $2million-plus less than the new cap on football department costs.

The Lions are budgeting to spend only about $7.3m outside player payments - more than $2 million below the new $9.5 million cap on football department spending. This is significantly less than smaller Victorian clubs are planning to spend next year, with each expected to exceed $8 million.

Talk about being hamstrung. $2mil can get you a lot of football department.

The Lions are paying only 95 percent of their salary cap this year and they have only reached that percentage by "pre-paying" contracts - bringing player payments forward from 2015 into this season. Thus, in "real" terms, the Lions are paying closer to 85 percent of the total player payments this year.

According that it would seem the $1.6mil figure bandied about would only bring us up to 100%. Given we can go up to 105%, we could in theory have over $2mil of salary cap free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That article is a very handy counter to Eddie's wailing about the club's bottom line/salary cap.

I wonder why they've released that info now?

It is almost like they're expecting Eddie to get all hot under the collar shortly...

Well played chaps. Well played.

Thus, in "real" terms, the Lions are paying closer to 85 percent of the total player payments this year.
FWIW, 15% of this year's salary cap is $1.44m - or at least 2 A-graders, if not 3.

The cap is also set to increase by ~$300k next year, and another ~$300k the year after.

$12M in debt is a bit scary :eek:

It's enormous but turning around clubs in debt has been Swann's specialty. Looks like the footy department will have to have a few cuts for a period whilst we bolster our onfield performance through some saavy recruiting and stem the debt bleed. Pretty sure Swann has said something to the effect of it being possible to be profitable in Brisbane as long as you're winning so if we can start winning again we'll bring people back and Swann can work some of his magic.

FWIW, 15% of this year's salary cap is $1.44m - or at least 2 A-graders, if not 3.
The cap is also set to increase by ~$300k next year, and another ~$300k the year after.
That's the thing I worry about. Good for players to earn more (Altough I find sports people's earnings OTT), but I can only see the increases putting further serious strain on poorer clubs and the noise from the likes of Eddie getting louder.

That's the thing I worry about. Good for players to earn more (Altough I find sports people's earnings OTT), but I can only see the increases putting further serious strain on poorer clubs and the noise from the likes of Eddie getting louder.

It's purely speculative, but I'd like to think that the league would've tied salary cap increases into the projected TV rights stream, so I'm hopeful those 'natural' movements in costs shouldn't leave the poorer clubs at a specific disadvantage. The big one will be reversing the debt.

After reading the above article my first though was "that should shut Eddie up" with us paying almost 1mil less then the bottom feeder Melbourne clubs.

But it will probably just be him moaning about how we are going to get 3mil from the AFL and ignoring the reasons behind it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back