List Mgmt. Swans Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Bird managed to have zero contested possessions and zero 1%ers in a key final, very similar to Jetta's Grand Final.

Yet one of them was derided for months as being a soft squib for that effort, and one is tough, gutsy and courageous.

Bird managed to have zero contested possessions and zero 1%ers in a key final, very similar to Jetta's Grand Final.

Yet one of them was derided for months as being a soft squib for that effort, and one is tough, gutsy and courageous.

I must disagree. Read my stats post in the 'great sob thread'. Bird outshone most of our midfield (statwise) in a mere 1/3 of a game.

Bird would wanna do better tagging jobs than he did on R Grey if he is to win the Carlie Bungee

That was last year and he struggled with some injuries. The year before he was rated 10th best tagger in the league. I think Birdy's got plenty of upside.

I assume you meant 'win the Charlie'. The Carlie is for women's football.

Do I really think Bird will win a Charlie ? If I did I'd get some money on those very long odds. In reality, I think he'll step up again and his few remaining detractors will come around.

Yeah Stats dont always tell the story

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-26/season-preview-sydney-swans

Best 22
B:
Nick Smith, Ted Richards, Dane Rampe
HB: Gary Rohan, Heath Grundy, Rhyce Shaw
C: Kieren Jack, Josh Kennedy, Lewis Jetta
HF Dan Hannebery, Lance Franklin, Craig Bird
F: Adam Goodes, Kurt Tippett, Ben McGlynn
Foll: Mike Pyke, Luke Parker, Jarrad McVeigh
I/C: Isaac Heeney, Harry Cunningham, Sam Reid
Sub: Jake Lloyd

Health of the list

The Swans' list is in excellent shape, with only three players currently sidelined - all with knee injuries. Luckless defender Alex Johnson will miss all of 2015 due to his fourth knee reconstruction, but Lloyd Perris is about two months away from resuming after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament last July. Rookie-listed midfielder Nic Newman started running in late February after minor surgery pre-Christmas and is three-to-four weeks away. Co-captain Kieren Jack (abdomen) and Lance Franklin (concussion) have been cleared to play round one.

The big questions

Can the Swans overcome their Grand Final heartbreak and win the flag?

How the Swans rebound from their letdown on the big stage will intrigue. Will the pain of defeat drive them to go one better? Or has a chink in their armour been exposed? The Swans' list is good enough, but questions will be asked all year.

Will their ageing players keep delivering?

Dual Brownlow medallist Adam Goodes (35), Rhyce Shaw (33), Ted Richards (32), Mike Pyke (31) and Jarrad McVeigh (30) have been wonderful servants and are key players for coach John Longmire. The Swans will hope Father Time doesn't catch up with any of their ageing guns this year.

Can their backline cope with the most potent teams' firepower?

The Swans' defence was exposed in the Grand Final after their midfield was overwhelmed, and star half-back Nick Malceski has since departed to Gold Coast. Key big man Sam Reid has been earmarked for a backline role to add some steel but, on paper, it appears to be the side's weakness.

Summer standout

A raft of youngsters have impressed over summer – including Dean Towers, Sam Naismith, Dan Robinson, Isaac Heeney, Jack Hiscox and Brandon Jack – but Dan Hannebery returned in his best shape for years and has been burning up the track. The 24-year-old midfield star looks primed for a massive season.

Fantasy cash cow

Valued at just $246,000, draftee Isaac Heeney looms as a money-spinner for AFL Fantasy players. The 18-year-old featured in all three of the Swans' NAB Challenge matches and registered 78 points in the final clash against Greater Western Sydney.

Sudden impact

Isaac Heeney must be the most talked about pick No.18 in the history of the NAB AFL Draft. The Newcastle-raised midfielder has been at the centre of the raging debate about the northern academies because of his exceptional talent. Heeney is destined for big things and has shown over pre-season he is ready to play senior football now.

It's crunch time for…

Tom Mitchell. The ball magnet turned down Carlton's interest during last year's trade period but faces a battle with the likes of draftee Isaac Heeney, Jake Lloyd, Harry Cunningham and Brandon Jack to get a game in midfield.Nobody doubts the 21-year-old's ball-winning ability, but there are queries over his pace and disposal at times.

He can find the football easily, but can Tom Mitchell find a permanent spot at the Swans? Picture: AFL Media
TomM620.jpg

Pivotal match

After the Grand Final debacle, there will be a huge build-up to the Swans' round eight rematch with Hawthorn under the glare of the MCG lights at primetime on a Saturday night. Importantly, it's the second game in a tough five-match run leading into the round 12 bye which includes clashes with Geelong, Carlton, Gold Coast (away) and North Melbourne (away).

The Swans will have a good year if…

Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett can fire together in attack and the Swans' key defenders avoid injury. Tippett has only played 26 games since he crossed from Adelaide and is yet to reach the lofty peaks he set himself at the Crows in 2012, but he remains extremely damaging at his best. The Swans' cover for their tall defenders is not as deep as flag rivals such as Hawthorn, so Longmire will be desperate for Ted Richards, Heath Grundy and Sam Reid to stand up all season.

AFL.com.au consensus predicted ladder finish: 3rd
Premiership clock: Set to strike but the midnight hours could slip away quickly.

TL;DR
- Heeney should be playing a lot this year
- Mitchell needs to have a good year
- Tippett Needs to get on the park
- Can they beat the Hawks?
- Should be top 4, should make prelims but won't make the GF

Deal with it Sir Swans , Pyke had "a standout season which cemented his place among the competition’s premier ruckmen". Even Swans board lovechild Nick Smith acknowledges his importance :thumbsu:

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2015-03-27/smith-predicts-rohan-improvement

I would like to see Pykey play a lot more forward, like the good ole days. That is when he is at his most damaging. Perhaps we could take a lesson from the Hawks and find a way to rotate all our tall timber through the forward line.

First quote was from the Sydney Swans website, so can be taken with a grain of salt.
Teamates don't normally bag each other over radio either

In saying that, he had an okay year

Last edited:
Lol from the poster who poo poos every other swans puff piece, if you think Pyke is a premier ruckman you must of thought Dean Cox was Jesus
This clearly isn't a puff piece, extremely well thought out comments from both Smith and the writer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bird was on the bench at the end of the 2012 grand final, right? I think that is reflection of his place in the side. He deserves a great deal of respect for his consistency (last years GF notwithstanding), but it is also important for his supporters to acknowledge his limitations (lack of speed, doesn't make a great deal happen).

This clearly isn't a puff piece, extremely well thought out comments from both Smith and the writer

Not even Pykes wife would support him as much as you, hope he acknowledges you in his next milestone game

Bird was on the bench at the end of the 2012 grand final, right? I think that is reflection of his place in the side. He deserves a great deal of respect for his consistency (last years GF notwithstanding), but it is also important for his supporters to acknowledge his limitations (lack of speed, doesn't make a great deal happen).

Think when they gave him 14 and there were a few puff pieces on him being a great nsw product etc people expected a bit more

He is a good clubman type

But he is more consistent than a lot of our midfielders as well. His worst game is a lot higher than the worst games of guys like Jack, McVeigh or Hannebery even if his best game ability is not as high.

Really not sure that someone sitting on the bench at the end of the 2012 GF has any relevance leading into the 2015 season.
Au contraire - the other three on the bench that day are no longer at the Swans.

A compelling argument - I apologise and deem Bird fringe best 22.
FB Smith Richards Rampe Laidler XR Aliir
HB Rohan Grundy McVeigh Jones Shaw AJ
C Hannebery Jack Lloyd Hewett Hiscox Marsh
HF Cunningham Franklin Heeney Towers Robinson BJ
FF Goodes Tippett McGlynn Reid Davis Rose
R Pyke Kennedy Mitchell Nankervis Derickx
I Jetta Bird Parker
Sub Towers

picking the best 22 is easy when you exclude Shaw and Reid. Two of the most contentious players on this board. I put towers in as sub as he can play any position from HB to HF, fast tall very much improved this year.
Reid drops every second mark, contested or uncontested. Does not have the body to out muscle FFs or defenders. Has a beautiful mark leap but does not mark the ball consistently to demand a game every week. Needs to improve to keep others out of the side.
Shaw is a legend of the Swans. Yet if he is still in the side come Grand Final we are in trouble. I think he is still on the list because Mal has gone and experience is needed. Not just on the park but off it. Shaw is a valued member of the Swans team because he helps those around him. I believe the Swans want him around the team to impart his knowledge and wisdom. He has a future rol at the Swans in some coaching capacity.
McVeigh needs to go to HB to accommodate our glut of mids. We have too many mids and he has shown his ability to perform there. His experience is needed with the departure of Mal and the impending departure of Shaw.
Heeney needs to play on the HF flank. Ease him into the team. Great mark. Toughness. Smart. Will kick at least a goal a game. Starts Round 1. next question?
Towers is the perfect sub.
Barring injury thats just about it. But footy is footy. Injuries will occur and Shaw may end up playing 22 games. or Jones or Towers etc
Bring on Round 1

FB Smith Richards Rampe
HB Shaw Grundy McVeigh
C Hannebery Jack Rohan
HF Cunningham Franklin Bird
FF Goodes Tippett McGlynn
R Pyke Kennedy Heeney
I Jetta Reid Parker
Sub Towers (poss. Mitchell)

picking the best 22 is easy when you exclude Shaw and Reid.

OK, I changed it to reflect where I think it'll be. Shaw is a walk up pick IMO. He's only contentious with a few posters who don't seem to understand his contribution. Horse obviously does. Shaw's stats in 2014 put him close to par with Malceski and he was one of the few players who stood up in the GF. His last NAB game was solid and working with Macca as distributors of the ball they should fill the Mal gap nicely. Reid is a development player. If he can make it as a swingman he'll be invaluable, a la LRT, but needs to develop more mongrel. Heeney and Towers showed enough in the NAB but have yet to prove themselves in a game for four points. They'll get game time but will be expected to play in the NEAFL too. Mitchell needs to show he can get back up to the pressure of playing seniors. His last NAB game was marred by poor disposal and he had little impact. He'll get opportunities this year but I can't see a round 1 start on current form. He might be eased into playing more forward (as he did originally) but he's not up to the midfield at present. We all know he can perform so I hope he finds his mojo. Horse has a few genuine depth players (such as Laidler) and a few more who are one solid season away. He'll need to find the balance between proven winners and getting experience into the younger players.

If Shaw is in the side come GF (assuming we make the GF) I think it's a good thing. The more senior players we have fit and firing in finals, the deeper we'll go, so Horse needs to manage them. At the pointy end of the season it's the experienced players who stand up. We didn't half miss Bolton, ROK & Mummy in the last GF.

Bird finished 9th in the Bob Skilton that year. Probably a better reflection of his place in the team than whether he finished on the bench. Rotations and all that.....

Bird finished 9th in the Bob Skilton that year. Probably a better reflection of his place in the team than whether he finished on the bench. Rotations and all that.....

Nah. The final minutes of a grand final have nothing to do with rotations.

Bird places well in B&F's because he is a very consistent and reliable role player who does exactly what he is asked to do by the coaching staff. He plays at his best most weeks, which is more than you can say for most players, but his best isn't as damaging as a number of other people on the list.

Cunningham finished 10th last year, FWIW.

I think Bird is good but you don't need to paint the lily.

Last edited:
Really not sure that someone sitting on the bench at the end of the 2012 GF has any relevance leading into the 2015 season.

If Bird had improved dramatically in the intervening period, maybe, but I don't think he has. This discussion is taking place in the context of who gets forced out if guys like Heeney & other young mids start warranting selection, isn't it? You're not going to boot out Sam Reid to slot in another mid, even though Reid is a much less useful player than Bird. It's guys like McGlynn, Bird & Lloyd that are in the frame for decisions like those.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back