Remove this Banner Ad

My team 2015 starting 18

Smith Richards Rampe
Rohan Grundy Malceski
Lloyd kennedy hanners
Mcglynn buddy mcveigh
Membrey tippo kjack
Pyke parker mitchell

Would love to see hewitt jones and biggs feature a lot more and heaney and nankervis to debut.

Hi there. Long time reader, first time poster. Since I - like many - have been avoiding the afl media the last few days, I thought I would join in on the conversation. Assuming Goodes and Shaw retire, my team would be:

B Smith - Richards - Rampe
HB Malceski - Grundy - McVeigh
C Hannebery - Kennedy - Jack
HF Jetta - Franklin - McGlynn
F Membrey - Tippet - Cunningham
Foll Mitchell - Pyke - Parker
I/C Bird - Lloyd - Rohan - Jones

Out: Reid, Goodes, Shaw
In: Mitchell, Membrey, Jones

If Goodes and Shaw go on, they push Membrey and Jones back out. Not sure what to do with Reid. I'd be tempted to take out Jetta for a Heeney or B.Jack - but maybe that's because I have a soft spot for BJ, and want him to make the team.

I'd actually like to see Pyke rest forward more often as well. If you take Goodes and Reid out of the forward line he could spend more time there. I miss watching him take contested marks like in 2012.

If that were the case, maybe:

Out: Mal
In: Biggs/traded player

Reid or Laidler could come into the back line, but I'm not sure how that would work structure wise.

I think out from todays team needs to be
Goodes
Shaw
Malceski
Jetta
We also desperately need a new young key defender. Can Sam Reid become that? Perhaps we could move McVeigh to the half back position and have him play there full time.
Also I would like to change our midfield. Other than Kennedy, Parker and Mitchell every midfielder we have should be on the trade table to see what sort of offers we get.
Broadly in agreement with this, although reluctantly in the case of Mal.

It makes me laugh when people say we trade Tom Mitchell. The GF taught us some lessons, including, play footballers.

Big questions over Reid and Jetta after the GF.

Broadly in agreement with this, although reluctantly in the case of Mal.

It makes me laugh when people say we trade Tom Mitchell. The GF taught us some lessons, including, play footballers.

Big questions over Reid and Jetta after the GF.

What do you think we could get for Reid & Jetta (picks or players)?

Let's look further than 2015.
Some contracts will run out in 2016 & FA can get a hold of some of our players which can be dangerous going forward.

How will our midfield look in 2016/2017?

These names come to mind.
Hewitt, Perris, Heeney, Mills, Mitchell, Parker, Jones, Cunningham, who are the up & comers.
Bird, Kennedy, Hanners, Jack, who are part of the current midfield.

Of the current midfield players, who can play multiple roles, something that the Hawks beat us with?

Of that group, who is the most likely to take advantage of FA & move home?

Hanners!

Hence I can see our club taking the bait in the next few years when a club dangles it in front of us.
This year the rumours are that the Saints have dangled pick 1 at us for Parker or Hanners.
Eventually we will bite due to the depth we will have with our midfield come 2017 & salary cap pressures. Better to be on the front foot rather than lose the player for an inadequate compensation.

I am expecting a shock trade or two in the next few years in order to be adequately compensated for a player/s that were going to leave anyway!

Not including Malceski either!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saturday's team:
B: Nick Smith - Ted Richards - Rhyce Shaw
HB: Gary Rohan - Heath Grundy - Dane Rampe
C: Lewis Jetta - Josh Kennedy - Kieren Jack
HF: Harry Cunningham - Lance Franklin - Dan Hannebery
F: Ben McGlynn - Kurt Tippett - Adam Goodes
Foll: Mike Pyke - Jarrad McVeigh - Luke Parker
I/C: Jake Lloyd, Nick Malceski, Sam Reid
Sub: Craig Bird

Out: Goodes (assuming he retires), Malceski (assuming he moves on), Shaw (assuming he retires), Lloyd if Jones takes the sub spot
In: Membrey, Issac Heeney, Zak Jones, Mitchell

2015 team:
B: Nick Smith - Ted Richards - Heath Grundy
HB: Jarrad Mcveigh - Sam Reid/Potential trade option - Dane Rampe
C: Harry Cunningham - Tom Mitchell- Dan Hannebery
HF: Ben McGlynn - Lance Franklin - Lewis Jetta
F: Luke Parker - Kurt Tippett - Tim Membrey
Foll:Mike Pyke, Josh Kennedy, Kieren Jack
I/C: Craig Bird, Gary Rohan, Issac Heeney
Sub:Zak Jones/Jake Lloyd

I think firstly Sam Reid needs to nail down that CHB spot. I don't see how he can fit into the forward line, doesn't work for me. I think Mcveigh needs to go back as experience if we lose Mal and Shaw. I also think Mitchell needs to play majority midfield and Parker plays more time up forward with his ability to take a mark and read the play.

I wouldn't expect Heeney and Jones to play 22 games but would like to see them getting a relatively good run. Blokes like Cunningham and Rohan who had ordinary grand finals will only get better in my mind and Rohan posses electric speed and run that might cover Mal and his PF was very good.

More time goes on more I think Shaw and Gooodes should retire.

Goodes looked ok in the last 2 finals but before that he looked on the way out.

I wouldn't like to see both go on and have another ROK year happen.

Even though we made the GF and imo besides the result we don't need players traded because of the outcome. I like seeing new faces in the team ( harry/Lloyd this year ) and a new look , would be pretty pumped to see IF stayed a Membrey in the pocket and Jones to take over Shaws role etc.

Be pretty excited to Give Reid a chance to re invent himself at CHB and put Tommy in the guts , even a Heeney/Hewett to debut early.

Goodes will get a third flag hopefully
Probably have to work out how to beat Hawks first if that was to happen.

Still don't know if we will be a better side come 2015.

Good thing is though Tippett , Reid , Buddy , Rohan , Goodes , Pyke , Mitchell etc should all have full pre seasons ( touch wood ) unlike last year.

I think Mal will be a bigger loss than some think , his rebounding and intercepts are 2nd to none and makes Ted/Grundy look a lot better than they are but that's the way it is.

McVeigh , Jack , Hannebery need to get back to that 2013 form , this year all 3 were well down on that year.

Tippett needs to stay on the bloody park , 2 years now of half years.

We really need to sure up our defence ( Ted 33 ) and the loss of Mal will hurt , just hope we can have a good trade period.

Hannebery's form up until his injury midyear against Port was actually superior to his form in 2013 IMO. He was playing with more responsibility as an inside and outside player and wasn't exclusively relying on Kennedy and Jack to get the ball for him. If he hadn't been injured, I think he would have made AA again but been far more deserving this year. He hit a bit of that form in the run to the GF but then disappointed on the biggest day like almost everyone else did.

I don't think Hannebery's year was bad at all though. If he didn't get hurt, he'd have been contending with the season's standout three in Kennedy, Parker and Franklin for podium places in the Skilton IMO.

Jack's 2nd half of the year I think was actually undersold a little too. Look at his numbers and he was performing pretty strongly, even though the common thought was that he wasn't performing anywhere near 2013 (and he probably wasn't at the same level). I don't think he ended up having that bad a year (GF aside).

And yes, Mal will be a big loss if he leaves. We don't have anyone that can plug that gap that he might leave. McVeigh is probably the answer but Mal's extra bit of pace, left foot (which is very valuable in the right places on the field) and ability to play as the loose man will be sorely missed if he leaves. I still don't think he's a dead certainty to leave though. I'm feeling that he'll stay.

Sort of 50/50 on Goodes. I do feel they need to find a spot for Membrey though, he looked good up forward. I get that Goodes deserves to go out on his terms BUT there is a limit!

Maybe goodes and membrey can co exist

Or maybe the club know membrey is gone

Hannebery's form up until his injury midyear against Port was actually superior to his form in 2013 IMO. He was playing with more responsibility as an inside and outside player and wasn't exclusively relying on Kennedy and Jack to get the ball for him. If he hadn't been injured, I think he would have made AA again but been far more deserving this year. He hit a bit of that form in the run to the GF but then disappointed on the biggest day like almost everyone else did.

I don't think Hannebery's year was bad at all though. If he didn't get hurt, he'd have been contending with the season's standout three in Kennedy, Parker and Franklin for podium places in the Skilton IMO.

Jack's 2nd half of the year I think was actually undersold a little too. Look at his numbers and he was performing pretty strongly, even though the common thought was that he wasn't performing anywhere near 2013 (and he probably wasn't at the same level). I don't think he ended up having that bad a year (GF aside).

And yes, Mal will be a big loss if he leaves. We don't have anyone that can plug that gap that he might leave. McVeigh is probably the answer but Mal's extra bit of pace, left foot (which is very valuable in the right places on the field) and ability to play as the loose man will be sorely missed if he leaves. I still don't think he's a dead certainty to leave though. I'm feeling that he'll stay.

I thought hanners year was pretty good too

Jack i thought was never quite right dont think he had the impact on games this year

Probably have to work out how to beat Hawks first if that was to happen.

Still don't know if we will be a better side come 2015.

Good thing is though Tippett , Reid , Buddy , Rohan , Goodes , Pyke , Mitchell etc should all have full pre seasons ( touch wood ) unlike last year.

I think Mal will be a bigger loss than some think , his rebounding and intercepts are 2nd to none and makes Ted/Grundy look a lot better than they are but that's the way it is.

McVeigh , Jack , Hannebery need to get back to that 2013 form , this year all 3 were well down on that year.

Tippett needs to stay on the bloody park , 2 years now of half years.

We really need to sure up our defence ( Ted 33 ) and the loss of Mal will hurt , just hope we can have a good trade period.

Mal is a massive loss, i just think in 3 years he could be shite so can understand caution with him

Tippett for a full year could take the comp by storm

If we dont get a reasonable defensive backup for ted and reg, a mature body then i think we wont win the flag, wether ted is fit or not, i think he will go backwards next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back