List Mgmt. Swans Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with that is McGlynn is not really a front and square crumber. Goodesy does that better than anyone else, but he doesnt really fit the other criteria (apparently).

I would say McGlynn as well, he may not be a front and square cumber but that is by no means a bad thing. If I recall, when he came to the Swans he began has a small forward who progressively worked into the midfield, in 2012 when the Swans had a slathering of goal kickers he was always one who popped up in the forward line and his defensive pressure was never missed...

I've finally had it with comments regarding Hiscox and where he is being taken in the draft.

Clearly he is seen by another club other than the Swans as worthy of being a 2nd Round Pick so enough with the "paying overs" crap we got him at above the market rate which was set by Fremantle who certainly weren't bidding a lower 2nd Round Pick than us just for the fun of it. Our opinion as fans don't count, the clubs does and so does that of the club that offered a lower pick for him as well that we decided to match. Not paying overs for a player that has a market price set.

Agree. Jack is a very good prospect and was one of the best in the reserves quite a few times.

Well then I'm calling it 'strategically overs' then. Id have passed.... I think going into this draft with only 1 live pick and at that stage of the draft is too restrictive considering we have a few specific depth issues. We'll have to hope to get a little lucky in the rookie draft now.

But then what does my opinion account for

I think you are wrong about Jack. He will be a good player and you can see where they are going here. SPEED & DELIVERY/FINISHING! People seem to think we have depth problems. I don't agree. We will draft a tall at 37. We will probably take one in the Rookie Draft as well if not two. We have Xav, Aliir, Davis & Reid who can go back. Just need to draft a young KPD or two to bring on in the next two to three years. We might even wait until next yeat to draft a second. If AJ doesn't come good we will be looking for another HB as well next year.

McGlynn just finished his best season as a Swan playing a new role in the midfield. Remember how before his new midfield role he was questionable as best 22? Stick to what is working for him.

Knowing the Swans, they will continue playing Jetta, so just make him a crumbing small forward. Or either Jack brother would work too.

Surprised that Marsh is still on our list, I wonder if he will "train the house down" again this pre season? I hope he does as we need all the depth we can get.

Surprised that Marsh is still on our list, I wonder if he will "train the house down" again this pre season? I hope he does as we need all the depth we can get.

He showed a bit off HBF in the last half of the season. He was lazy in his defensive work so they threw him back to HBF & it worked. He beats hid opponent 9/10. That is probably the reason. If AJ doesn't come good he could still be handy.

He showed a bit off HBF in the last half of the season. He was lazy in his defensive work so they threw him back to HBF & it worked. He beats hid opponent 9/10. That is probably the reason. If AJ doesn't come good he could still be handy.
Good info from you. Dot get me wrong if love to see Marsh step up and play some good senior footy. He has some great attributes fro what I saw in his draft year but like most of us heard big things at re start of last year but we didn't see or hear
Much more.
Is there any chance he could step up and be that HBF player?

Good info from you. Dot get me wrong if love to see Marsh step up and play some good senior footy. He has some great attributes fro what I saw in his draft year but like most of us heard big things at re start of last year but we didn't see or hear
Much more.
Is there any chance he could step up and be that HBF player?

Maybe but the ball is in his court so to speak. He wasn't going to get into our mids with Heeney, who is a real bruiser, Mitchell, Perris & Robinson ahead of him joining Lloyd, Parker, Joey, Birdie, Kizza, Macca, Hannas & Benny. The midfield is deep. Add Hiscox, BJ, Jetts & Cunningham and it is very deep.

Hopefully the Swans players will feel some sense of shame in regards to the 2014 grand final and as a result they won't start the 2015 like they couldn't give a s**t.

A fully fit 22 would help too, I mean round 1 last year to be dead set fair how many blokes were underdone or injured?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These are the clearance stats of 2014 (in brackets is games played)

Kennedy (23) - 126
Parker (25) - 104
K.Jack (24) - 82
Hannebery (19) - 72
Bird (21) - 68
McGlynn (19)- 60
McVeigh (25) - 54
Pyke (19) - 40
Jetta (25) - 27
T.Mitchell (6 games) - 25

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...and-callum-mills/story-fnp04d70-1227129996858

To me what immediately stands out is how much higher the stats are for both Kennedy and Mitchell. If Mitchell played 24 games like Jack did he would have got around 100 clearances and we have to remember that Mitchell was dropped for poor form at the start of the year so in some of those 6 games he was well below his best.

Not that we really are short of them but I was thinking today that Hiscox could have a place in the best 22 in 2015 as a tagger. He is arguably the best endurance athlete the AFL has ever seen so in theory the Swans could stick him on an outside player of the opposition and Hiscox will outrun and out work him. He would be great on a Brad Hill type for instance.

Not that we really are short of them but I was thinking today that Hiscox could have a place in the best 22 in 2015 as a tagger. He is arguably the best endurance athlete the AFL has ever seen so in theory the Swans could stick him on an outside player of the opposition and Hiscox will outrun and out work him. He would be great on a Brad Hill type for instance.

Not sure about next year and I flat out hate full time taggers as nowadays you have to find the pill! Would rather pump games into Heeney, etc than to play a full on tag role. Bird is our tagger anyway.

Is it too soon for me to lobby for Bird to be dropped again? Jetta is another, not exactly sure what his role change has been, I just call it playing terribly. Structually I think we will se a change this year. Would not surprise me at all if we see Nankervis play and Reid playing the tall lose non-rebounding free man in defence roll he is so astute at. Would like to see games into both Hewett and Heeney early on.

With our trade ban and the age issues in our backline, we need to fast track the development of some of our kids. I would throw the likes of jones straight into thr backline in round 1. He has already showed he is capable of playing senior footy this year. Plus it would allow the club to manage shaw through the year.

Also guys like xr, allir, nankervis and hewett should be periodically played through thr year to give them much needed experience. We cannot afford a long term injury/ retirement to ted or reg and then throw in a player with 0 experience into a full time role.

2015 will be a difficult one for the coaching staff, they will have to balance between playing for a flag and blooding youngsters

Bird is such a vanilla player.
Does enough not to get dropped, doesn't do enough to standout every week.

I don't want to get into another Bird value argument but he does enough to poll top 10 in B&F's. Would likely have had a third straight top 10 finish in a team finishing the season in or after a PF had he not got injured late in the year.

Not sure about next year and I flat out hate full time taggers as nowadays you have to find the pill! Would rather pump games into Heeney, etc than to play a full on tag role. Bird is our tagger anyway.

The thing is that I have no problem with the Swans having one hard tagger and I also like the idea of blooding some of our younger guys using the tagger role. If Hiscox can find the ball enough when the Swans are attacking then I really could see him getting his opportunity as a tagger.

I don't think Bird can really be classified as a hard tagger though. Through the middle of the year and last when he has been playing at his best he has been running alongside someone but winning a lot of ball himself. His games against Essendon at the SCG, Essendon at Etihad and Geelong at the SCG I think show how good he can be but most other weeks he hovers around the 20-24 possession mark and does his job very astutely.

He just shouldn't play as the sub. That I think we can all agree on. Longmire must have felt like he had no option after Bird had proven his fitness and he didn't want to drop Lloyd out of the starting side for the finals, but I think most would agree that Bird doesn't have the requisite explosiveness, pace to be an effective sub.

He could become a player that gets edged out by the likes of more developed Mitchell, Heeney, Mills (given we get him) in a few years but for now he deserves his place in the side without question to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back