News Swans Break Membership Record

Remove this Banner Ad

Two weeks out from the first bounce of the 2015 home and away season, the Sydney Swans have set a new membership benchmark, surpassing the 2014 membership record of 40,126.

With the NAB Challenge series concluding on Sunday, the Swans will kick of their 2015 campaign against Essendon at ANZ Stadium on April 4 at 4.35pm.

Speaking at Wednesday night’s Guernsey Presentation and Hall of Fame Induction Dinner, Swans co-captain Jarrad McVeigh made an impassioned call for all fans to get behind the Club in 2015.

“Over 40,000 members last year, looking at 50,000 for this year – how exciting to be a part of this place,” McVeigh said.

“Who saw Luke Parker’s hanger in the preliminary final? Who saw Nick Smith chase down Lindsay Thomas when most would have given up?

“Who saw this group have over 100 tackles against Fremantle? Who saw Buddy’s goal against Port Adelaide from 70 metres out?

“To hear the SCG that loud against Port Adelaide that day was as good an atmosphere we have played in front of.

“Thank you. We need you again to get behind this team. Make Sydney a ruthless place for opposition to come to, make them uncomfortable with your voice. We can do the rest.”

Sydney Swans CEO Andrew Ireland said he was pleased to see fans signing on in record numbers ahead of the season.

“It is going to be an exciting season and it all begins on Easter Saturday at ANZ Stadium,” he said.

“The players can’t wait for the footy to start again and our fans are clearly excited for 2015.

“We are particularly buoyed by the rise in our junior membership base and we have no doubt we will push capacity at many of our home games this season, making signing up as a member even more important.

“As Jarrad McVeigh said, and all our players agree, to hear the support from the red and white faithful at the SCG and ANZ Stadium, can make the difference.”

For more information or to sign up as a Swans member, please visit www.sydneyswans.com.au/membership.

Great to see us break the record so early before the season starts. I think it took half-way through last season for us to reach 40,000.

How high do you think we could get it to? I think 50 can be a possibility provided we get off to a good start.

Great news and congratulations to our club for such the record. If I recall correctly we didn't surpass 40,000 until early August so we're there 4 and a half months early so 50,000 members is definatly achievable for us.

Andrew Pridham on Twitter this morning

last yr 40,126 x120% = 48,151

so if we have an good start to the season we may get 50k

March 17th last year we had around 34,366 members so chuck on 20% and we should be on around 41,240 at the moment.

Great news, the buddy signing is surely a major factor. Now we just need that 1 flag with him IMO to ice the cake.

I spoke to a group of people at the fan day who said that they were casual supporters but joined up this year because of the constant attack the swans have been under the last few years.I think the hate we are getting now might work in our favour.Also sure Buddy has something to do with it

Should send Eddie and Jon Ralph a thank you note with flowers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if a lot of the vic fans will sign up at the game on Saturday. Might give a nice boost to the already impressive figures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back