Analysis Swans midfielders we need more

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I am getting fed up with reading threads where our key forwards are bagged out for not kicking goals. Nobody can expect them to kick goals when the ball is repeatedly kicked inside 50 by mids, wingers, defenders to players outmarked 2-3 on 1 especially when the ball is generally not even kicked to Buddy or Tippets advantage.

I get that in today's game the pressure on the ball player is incredibly intense however more composure is needed from Swans MIDFIELDERS and DEFENDERS when moving the ball forward and especially inside 50!

"Bad kicking is bad footy". This sums up essentially the main problem Sydney have right now. They are playing so well in numerous other indicators however Longmire and coaches mentioned it during past week about an area to be addressed. First half saw relatively okay delivery inside 50 against Tigers. Second half saw contested possessions fall apart and subsequently delivery was poor which cost the game.

Midfielders/Wingers/Defenders we need
BETTER delivery across the ground however ESPECIALLY inside 50. Do that and the SKY IS THE LIMIT!!! C'mon Swans!!!

Sydney swans we need more is the reality

At the risk of being super unpopular there are a lot of guys with big reputations in our mid group

Kennedy
Jack
Hannebery
Mcveigh
Parker

They accumulate a lot of possies, mcveigh in that group is the best kick by a mile, but he can go missing the others are actually rather ordinary

Then we have youngsters like mitchell and lloyd, contrasting there one accumulates more than the other but the other is better with it

Then cunningham, jetta and to a degree rohan types who flash in and out of games, especially Jetta

I would say not one of that group right now is what I would call one of the elite mids in the comp, they get ranked up there at times especially the first lot I mentioned, but i think collectively its a good even group, lacking a superstar

Maybe parker becomes that, hanners is having a great year so getting there

I may not be wording it right, not saying there not fantastic guys there but there isnt a fyfe, ablett, pendlebury or whatever there

Modern footy seems to be bang it in there quick

We lack small forwards and midfield forward running at times to keep it there, like the hawks do to create repeat inside 50s

We need to hit targets better because we have them. Buddy, tippett and even goodes and rohan can take a good grab, reid when down there, so why bomb it all the time when we dont have crumbers at the feet

Kicking to 2 on 1s is another pet peeve

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
IMO pre-tippet and franklin, when we used the slingshot - we were both at our best in attacking terms and defensive terms. It was a great style to watch and was effective even against Hawthorn. Why? because it purely came down to work rate and two way running, we were renowned for it and other teams just couldn't match it and obviously also the unpredictability of it, multiple goal scorers. Having said that though this just shows that Horse imo doesn't know wtf he is doing in terms of offence ever since Franklin and Tippet have come to the club. If anything we should be more lethal in attack and our mids should find it easier to defend because of the easier workload but it has backfired undoubtedly.

We have all spoken about our forward I50s lol, god help us there.

The coaching staff just needs to tell the players to think of every player as equal, for example if you see someone open inside 50 and franklin is 2 on 1 etc. kick it the man that's free. It is not rocket science. We are way to buddy-centric, in fact recently I have been noticing that even when Tippet's free we prefer to kick it to Franklin.

There's a lot of improvement to come from the group. And by that I mean from the coaches to the players, but I haven't seen that improvement for a couple of years now. We always think oh it'll come eventually, we'll improve in that area eventually etc. but reality is we just don't learn from our games almost as if we don't review it properly. We just keep on persisting with what we're doing wrong and hope it comes right for whatever reason and most of the time this still works because of our talent just finding a way.

Just hope Horse learns from his mistakes or someone just gives him tips here and there to help him along - and that'll transition on to the players. He's a good coach. But recently he's lost his way.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Kennedy especially is a shadow of his 2012 self when it comes to kicking goals. Look at teams like Hawthorn and Fremantle and they get a lot more output from their midfielders at the clearances, in terms of work rate and on the scoreboard.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Horse is working on the i50s and imo we nailed it in the first half against the tiges. That was clinical.

I agree the mids went to sleep after that, but the problems seemed to start in defense.

We just went into this weird mind space where everything got complicated. We did the same against the bullies.

Think we can agree the problems are someone on here

image.jpg

Jun 8, 2008
On the couch
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton,LA Lakers,LA Rams,NY Mets
Many problems, lack of pace in midfield, kennedys form, rampe unable to defend anyone, no ruck and a defensive mindset which I can only suggest falls on horse. Team gets up five goals and immediately stops running, it happened against the Tigers and Roos . Also a soft feel in a midfield, even Cotchin was tougher than us at the ball .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
We need to be less predictable. Which I know.is stating the obvious. I think that Buddy/Tippett would kick more goals. If we use other targets more regular it will put pressure on opposition backman to be accountable for a player and not having 2 or 3 on Buddy / Franklin. They know where the ball is going so its like shelling peas.

Its a simple fix. Go back to chipping around and being calculated at top of the 50 and be patient until a free option comes up. Doesnt matter who it is. We have done this successfully in the past.

Lets see what happens Thursday night. It will be very very interesting.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
We need to be less predictable. Which I know.is stating the obvious. I think that Buddy/Tippett would kick more goals. If we use other targets more regular it will put pressure on opposition backman to be accountable for a player and not having 2 or 3 on Buddy / Franklin. They know where the ball is going so its like shelling peas.

Its a simple fix. Go back to chipping around and being calculated at top of the 50 and be patient until a free option comes up. Doesnt matter who it is. We have done this successfully in the past.

Lets see what happens Thursday night. It will be very very interesting.

Or we could try going one on one and moving the ball fast so we can get Buddy and Tippett into a lot of one on one contests instead of constantly having more defenders around them.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
To move the ball fast you need great foot skills something we lack.

That is true. We need to move the ball fast into the forward 50 or be slow and methodical about it. We can't do what we have been doing which is a sort of medium speed. Too slow to give Tippett or Buddy a genuine one on one contest but too quickly to look around and properly find other free targets in the forward 50.

Sep 29, 2003
far queue
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NSW Blues
I just think we are going to be embarrassed in a final and knocked out of the finals series with a whimper.

But you always look for and fear the worst. It's unhealthy.

Just enjoy what is happening and enjoy that the team you support has a chance again.

Footy analysis is great and what this forum should be about, but it is not always doom and gloom, and we don't always have to look for the worst case scenario.

You are passionate and that is great, but lighten up. Look for some positives.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Who knows really.

We could win the next 13 in a row or lose our next 7 and be out of the top 4.

Just go with the flows man ups and downs part of being a supporter :)

Well I feel that this squad can win a flag in 2015 but the way we are playing right now we can't. I see massive flaws in the Swans game plan and I want to see them corrected.

Going along same old same old annoys the hell out of me as I know it will be enough to get us to the finals, possibly in the top 4 but it will not be enough to win the flag and if you can't win the flag then it is time the coach rethinks his entire strategy. Longmire is not the coach just to get us into finals, he is the coach to help us win grand finals.

Well I feel that this squad can win a flag in 2015 but the way we are playing right now we can't. I see massive flaws in the Swans game plan and I want to see them corrected.

Going along same old same old annoys the hell out of me as I know it will be enough to get us to the finals, possibly in the top 4 but it will not be enough to win the flag and if you can't win the flag then it is time the coach rethinks his entire strategy. Longmire is not the coach just to get us into finals, he is the coach to help us win grand finals.

Agree, we can be a lot better is what annoys me about games like friday

Back